1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox mv50 AC real amp or toy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jgwcaster, Jun 6, 2017.

1. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Captain and Chappers review the VOX MV50 lineup. I've got GAS for these, but I recently got a Hotone Nano Legacy, so I should just leave well enough alone for now.

LGOberean likes this.
  2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I don't personally think an amp should be pulled of a cabinet due the weight of the cord, myself.

wblynch likes this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I came back to this thread just now to post that very video. Should've known somebody would beat me to it. :( ;)

I usually don't care for their videos (The Captain" and "Chappers"), but this one is on the MV50 line, and it was just published today. So aside from the disjointed way they presented the specs, and their usual silly shenanigans, it was useful.

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I love the idea of miniaturization to lesson the load and bulk - these look like they'd fit in the pocket of a guitar bag! But, I'm skeptical these are interchangeable with an equivalent amp. Just looking at SS amps, you can only go so small before cross talk and shielding issues show up with the transformer - and speaking of transformers, they don't "miniaturize" very well, and so on. And its only worse for tube platforms. I'd consider these a special purpose device, that you take when you need the smallest lightest load in/out and don't need the volume or headroom of a regular amp.

5. luckett

luckett Banned

These don't have transformers in them.

dotpc and LGOberean like this.
  6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Well you're correct - still skeptical. If I needed an amp that fits in a gear back or in a gig bag, I'd be more daring to try them out - so I'm a fan for special purposes.

7. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

That's the first thing I thought of. Amp flying all over the place, unless you stand real still

8. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Put it on your pedal board.

dotpc likes this.
  9. Dirty30

Dirty30 Tele-Meister

Does anyone know how well the headphone jack works? I'd like to use this amp for silent practice in hotel rooms.

cbh5150 likes this.
  10. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

I may find out as early as tomorrow evening ;)

11. Dirty30

Dirty30 Tele-Meister

Well keep us posted! If this thing sounds good line out/headphone out, it might be perfect for me on a small portable pedal board. I will be spending a LOT of time in hotels away from family, so I want to write. This means using my pedals and not hating an uninspiring tone that makes me want to put the guitar away.

cbh5150 likes this.
  12. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

I just got the Clean. Im am really impressed. My other amp is a Vox Night Train G2 15w head which has been my main amp for a year. Plays loud and clean. I've been really happy about that amp because it can keep up with volumes in rehearsal, and it has a nice sound and is all tube.

So heres my mini review of the mv50 Clean.

I was so curious about the mv50 Clean that i just had to order one.
    I didn't have any hopes and wasn't expecting much... but this little thing really surprised me!

The first thing that caught me off guard was the volume. I have a 2x12 8ohm cab, which means the MV50 Clean is doing 25 watts. Its loud... really loud. It will do well in rehearsal. I will have to try it with a 4x12 4ohm cab some time.

I couldn't crank it at home (because its to loud for that) so i switched the attenuator to 1/10 and cranked the volume. It does break up a tad, not much, but theres some hair around the edges. Using some of my overdrive pedals i was able to hear how the clipping of the circuit blends with the pedals character. Sound good, it has its own thing going on just as any tube amp does. But i think i prefer it running really clean.

It takes pedals VERY well. All my drives sound good and behave just like they do with my tube amp. But they could have put a mid eq knob on it to. It isn't like its scooped or anything, it has good mids going on like I'm used to from my Night Train. But i would still like to have some more control over the EQ.

The phones/line output works well. I can defenitely use it for home practice. Theres some sort of cab sim going on there, its not bad but its not fantastic either. I guess they made it so it would just work for most purposes. The speaker output is not muted when using the phones/line output.

So, in my opinion this is well worth the price, just by the sound quality alone. It is NOT a toy or gimmicky thing!
    It not only sounds like a tube amp, it feels like one. Its that thing that you just feel when plucking a string. Of course, this all depends on what your preferences are! If your used to the feel from a cranked beyond common sense Fender Twin, this won't do it for you. But imho, they've got something really good going on with this, and to me it sounds and feels better that any digital simulation i've tried (i haven't tried the top digital stuff, but i have played a lot through a BOSS GT-100).

I was also curious about that handle (which i don't like at all) So i opened the thing and the screws that holds the handle also holds the glass from the inside. So that was a bummer because i was thinking of putting the mv50 on my board. But it is doable for sure. Just have to find dome nuts! I would rather have it on my board than throwing it around in cases and plugging it in and out all the time. I always take my board home and leave my amp at rehearsal, so thats what I'm going to do.

Well... not much more to say other than it sounds great, its fun, its small, its relatively cheap for what it does very well, and its great to have as a backup. Feel free to ask me if theres anything you might want to know.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    amorica, dotpc and LGOberean like this.
  13. Dirty30

Dirty30 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the great review. This could end up being a great travel rig (on a pedal board) to use in hotel rooms with headphones AND gig through a cab without having to modify setup or pedals.

14. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Exactly. Thats my intention. I think there will be no problems for me to use this in rehearsal, it will keep up with volumes. For gigs i'll be charmig the soundguy and let him do whatever he wants, line it or mic it.. just feed me the sound from somewhere near :D And having only a volume on the Clean will make it easy. The AC and Rock may have to be adjusted more depending on the gain/volume balance people need. But i have all dirt infront of the mv.

I've been giving it a long hard run both yesturday and today playing it for hours and loud. No problems so far. I hope its free from bugs!

LGOberean likes this.
  15. TeleKineses

TeleKineses Tele-Meister

I just bought the AC version for this very reason , silent practice in hotel while traveling. If an amp has a crappy headphones sound, I find it uninspiring and hard to practice through. The speaker emulation on this is quite good, and even through some inexpensive Samsung headphones w/ a 1/4" adapter, I enjoy this enough that it doesn't happen my desire to practice.

I vote that you go for it. This is the most cost-effective and portable solution I've found for practicing on the road.

FWIW I have a Jackson Newcastle 30, a Tone King Falcon, and a Fender Bassbreaker 15. The tone on this MV50 is good enough that I would consider playing out with it, but it wouldn't replace one of those necessarily.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried it, and it sounds really great. But, it's much better with the 12 in. cab than the 8. I haven't tried it with any speaker other than the two Vox sells to go with it. I don't know I could mistake it for a real AC30, but it comes a lot closer than I expected. It's only 50 watts at 4 ohms, 25 watts at 8, and 12.5 watts at sixteen.

17. Dirty30

Dirty30 Tele-Meister

My only fear is that at gigging levels, 25 watts might not be enough. Sure I could build a custom cab at 4 ohms, but that seems like a shame given how unusable a 4 ohm cab might be in most situations... and it would still only be 50 solid state watts. That being said, the size and price seem amazing. I'm really wanting this amp to be a one stop shop for a cheap/good tone/portable/decent headphone out/gig worthy package.

18. Dirty30

Dirty30 Tele-Meister

Great to know! I bought a Blackstar fly a few weeks ago that I will use for this purpose for now. I can already attest, however, that the headphone out on the Fly isn't great.

19. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    I built a 2-10 cab using Eminence Ragin' Cajuns. It's wired at 4 ohms, but the bottom driver is on a switch, so I can run it as an 8-ohm 1-10 in a pinch.

Running at 4 ohms seems to be more common, though, with the advent of Class D power. My Quilter 101 Mini also handles 4 ohms, so this cab works all around for my setup.

[​IMG]
    Here's my MV on a board, sans handle. I've since decided I prefer amps up on the cab, but as you see, the MV is right at home on a board.

amorica, dotpc and cbh5150 like this.
  20. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

Would be really interested in a comparison of the Quilter and the MV - which do you prefer?

dotpc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.