1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Lil Night Train mod question...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by never2old2start, Jul 23, 2014.

1. never2old2start

never2old2start TDPRI Member

I recently purchased one of these little amps (haven't received it yet), and while researching it came across the common complaint of too much treble. I want to do the C19 (remove from circuit) mod, but was on the fence whether or not to put in on a switch as some have. Has anybody swapped out the toggle switches so drilling a hole in the chassis for a new micro switch would not be necessary? It would make more sense to use a 3 way switch to modify the "bright/thick" to bright-C19 lifted-thick. and while you are at it, replace the power toggle switch with a 3 position one wired to "stand by" in the middle position.

Anybody have any experience doing this or know someone who has?

2. Highly Cool

Highly Cool NEW MEMBER!

I just bought one of these with the VT110 cabinet. I really like this amp and the way it performs. Will be great for small coffee shop gigs or even mic'ing it at church.

The bright is definitely something I want to modify. With my Strat with Custom Shop '50's can't roll enough of the treble out to get rid of the pings.

I have not seen this mod with a 3 position switch, but it would be the best method in my opinion. That way if you wanted you could reverse the mod it would be back to stock.

3. Duke

Duke Tele-Meister

Check out this video.
    If you can drill and solder this would be an easy mod. I like the idea of a three way switch with off, value 1, value 2. I think you'll find the treble boost beneficial with humbuckers. The value depends on your ears. Good luck.

4. Duke

Duke Tele-Meister

Hah...I just saw you have a tele. You should build yourself a 5e3, you won't look back.

5. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

With the tubes I run and the 1 x 10 homemade cab with the Weber AlNiCo Blue Pup, I hardly ever turn off the Bright cap switch. It sounds nearly identical to my AC15 with the Blue Dog, just not as big. About the only time I use the switch now is with bridge single coil pups, as they can be a bit too bright. The right tube and speaker complement can just about eliminate any need for the switch.

The output tubes make a fair difference to the tone. I was using the EHX 12AU7, but swapped to the Tung Sol. I tried the JJ ECC802S, which was the warmest power tube I tried, but it was just a bit too hairy. The TS was a little more glassy, but not quite as glassy as the Gold Lion L84s in my AC15. A good 12AT7 in the PI can smooth out the gain and warm the tone slightly also. I'm using a JAN-Philip 12AT7 in mine. I'm currently running a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in the preamp, as it sounds the closest to and is the same tube I'm running in my AC15.

6. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Mad Jack has done a great job documenting his mods and tube rolling in other threads, so I understand why he likes the bright cap switch.

When I clipped mine, it made enough of an improvement IMO with single coils and buckers that I decided to just leave it clipped.

YM most certainly MV. Good luck, they are cool little amps in the right application.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.