1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

VOX Lil' Night Train Club......

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by studio1087, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

The Wizard is an awesome speaker!

2. afawill

afawill TDPRI Member

Danelectro Trans Overdrive II

I missed this earlier - but I second this Danelectro Transparent Overdrive is great.:p I put it on with my tele almost every time. It is do nice to have boost and still hear my guitar tone through the pedal. I use the Red Led (switch in battery compartment.) Works well with every amp I try.:cool:

3. afawill

afawill TDPRI Member

So - Just for fun - I had an extra Tung Sol 12ax7 - so I put it in V1 spot with my other TS 12ax7 and the JJ 12au7 and was pleasantly surprised with smoothness and a bit more lower midrange (there may be more bass but the vox 10" cab I don't think will show it if it is there). Anyways - the gain is back to where I was at the start but the tone is great and the gain is much more controlled and evenly saturated at hi gain & volume. What I think I am seeing it is that who made the tube makes a big difference. So I think I need to buy one more tube that is either Tung Sol or JJ that is lower gain.

Actually my supplier has a JJ ECC81 / 12AT7 Vacuum Tube and a NOS 12AT7WC Philips JAN Vacuum Tube that I used in the pre stage of my egnater tweaker combo which I am happy with.

What brands of 12at7 tubes have people tried and how did it sound?

Plus I am going to try the cap cutting but I was wondering it cutting the cap makes the "thick" setting more thick (hope no one ask that question already).

4. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

I've been toying with the idea of a custom cab so that could be a consideration. I may even try the Vox 12" speaker cab that goes with the 15w Night Train. That cab comes fitted with the Greenback speaker which should work well and it's quite cheap.

5. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

The cab that pairs with the Epiphone Valve Jr. is decent as well and even cheaper than that Vox one. I believe it comes with an Eminence Lady Luck speaker.

6. afawill

afawill TDPRI Member

I have cut the cap leg and soldered on some wire leads and ran the wires out the front as a manual bright switch. Note: do not touch with your hands while the amp is on as you will ground out the signal.
    It is less shrill but I will definitely be putting a switch on the front so I can get the bright back. Although I am tempted to put thick and bright out to a footswitch - I am just worried about adding noise. It would need a relay to keep the signal in the shielded box.

Great mod! Highly recommend it.

7. jeej

jeej TDPRI Member

afawill, Thanks for the info on fixing the boxy sound of the 10" cab. But, what exactly are "rubber sticky pads" and where would I find them?

8. afawill

afawill TDPRI Member

The pads are foam neoprene rubber and come from here for cheap:

Urban Source has been Vancouver's number one choice for alternative art materials for over 15 years. We collect from over 100 different local industries, diverting safe, useable off-cuts, discards, misprints and over-stock from the land fill. Materials are then sorted, organized and prepared for the store. Most importantly, we come up with a variety of innovative uses for everything we collect.

Contact
    http://www.urbansource.bc.ca/contact.html

We are located at 3126 Main Street in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Store hours :
    Monday through Saturday : 10am to 5:30pm
    Sundays : 11am to 5pm
    Please call for holiday store hours.

Phone : (604) 875-1611

Email : [email protected]

9. jeej

jeej TDPRI Member

I think I am going to use mouse pads and contact cement. Vancouver is a bit of a haul from FL! Thanks for the info.

Great suggestions on tube selection, by the way. I had an EH and Tung-Sol 12AX7, and a USA 12AU7 (unnamed, just USA with an octagon around the 12AU7). Smooths it out a lot. I noticed you used a EH 12AY7 in 1, I didn't try that. Next time...

Something else I discovered last night. My LNT had a crackle when playing low notes. The tube swap did not fix it. I shot contact cleaner in the little pots and that seems to have cured it.

10. afawill

afawill TDPRI Member

Here are the latest mods for the lil'nt vox.

Switch for c19 - works beautifully.
    The metal walls of the amp cabinet are heavy gauge so use oil on the drill bit, take your time (it is thick) and remove debris as you go. Also green tape the pcb board so you do not get metal in the amp and cause a short. Last thing to note - use a washer on the front and back so you tighten the nut that is behind and not mark up the front or have the switch stick out too far.

ForumRunner_20120211_141221.jpg

ForumRunner_20120211_141258.jpg

ForumRunner_20120211_144029.jpg

ForumRunner_20120211_144105.jpg

I also put on 1" tall rubber cabinet feet from WWW.parts-express. Com to tilt the cabinet back a bit.

ForumRunner_20120211_144129.jpg

I am so happy with the sound that my 15 Watt egnater tweaker is feeling neglected, fingers are soar from playing so much and the wife is anoid (she will forgive me - she likes the lower playing level and good tone but is too stubborn to admit it. LOL) This will be the last review for a while - paperwork, choirs and wife need some attention.

I have never played and enjoyed the neck pick ups so much on my guitars as I do on this amp. This is because they sounded so muddy, dark and undefined sound before but now they have a clean, laid back, bluesy sound.

And the switch is a great mod. Well worth the effort! !

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  11. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Can I ask why you put the c19 on a switch? Every other person who has clipped that cap reports that the change is so superior there would be no reason to go back.

So, how would you state the benefit of the stock tone in comparison?

12. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

This seems to be the place to ask my question. At my jam space we currently jam with 5 watt heads into 1x12's with no issues volume wise. In fact, the 5 watters aren't even on half volume.

I came across a good deal locally on one of the LNT's used. I thought it would be a great amp to just leave at the band space. Do you guys think there is a enough volume in one of these to play over drums based on what I said about the 5 watters?

Clean tones are not a worry. Nothing we play even approaches clean lol.

Thanks for any input.

13. afawill

afawill TDPRI Member

Hoodster - I have some guitars with filtertron pickups that need the brightest amp sound to get the jangle after like the Beatles Rickenbacker into a vox sound - thin and bright. Also using for some u2 songs the the pedals I use need the brightness to shimmer (space setting on reverb machine ). More than half of the time I do play with the c19 cut but it is better to have the choice. I do play a huge variety of music and I have a lot of gear to use it with so flexiblity is key. Got the idea from strat talk site. It is much better with the switch to be able to get back the super bright sound.

asnarski likes this.
  14. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the response. I had heard other people say that cutting the C19 makes the tone controls more usable, but from what you say here it sounds like you can't get back enough of the brightness, even by cranking the treble control?

15. afawill

afawill TDPRI Member

Not for some music - I think of it more as a midrange cut (bass too but I usually turn it up with the cap in)

16. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Could someone with the C19 clip mod post a YouTube clip?

17. afawill

afawill TDPRI Member

I'm kinda short of time right now but probably on the weekend I can post a video - actually have not done one before.

18. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

My LNT rig, with Emi C. Rex:

[​IMG]

19. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I finally got around to trying a 12AT7 in V1 (preamp) and have to say I'm blown away, especially after everything I've always heard about this tube being inappropriate for gain stages. Must be something about the LNT circuit that renders this typical advice moot.

At any rate, I find the AT7 to be the perfect sweet spot for this amp, right in-between the AY7 and AX7. Compared to an AX7, you get a much more gradual and usable transition from clean to scream, and you can actually play the amp on full gain with clarity and note separation.

I'm quite delighted with this beast now and doubt I'll be clipping any caps soon. In my experience, replacing the shoddy stock tubes (even just the power tube) was enough to eliminate any of the harshness from the treble and gain. And with a full tube switch, even with single coils I find I have the treble at least at noon with no excessive brightness. I wouldn't want to lose any Vox chime by messing with the circuit.

Current (and hopefully final set-up):

V1 -- JJ 12AT7

V2 -- Sovtex 12AX7LP

V3 -- JJ 12AU7

20. afawill

afawill TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.