1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Improvements

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by teleplayer99, Mar 6, 2021.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

Already installed JJ tibes. What about Greenback or Creamback. My goal is more bass...less treble. Love AC10C1...just would like to improve. And yes, I play a tele exclusively.

Thanks,

Anthony

2. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

If your goal is more bass and you're going for a celestion then a greenback probably isn't what you want. They have the M (medium) magnet so less low end than some of the other offerings. Of the celestion types you probably want a G12H. Either the G12H30 or I think there's a G12H creamback and a G12H heritage model. Bigger bass. More treble. A bit louder than the G12M, too.

teleplayer99 and northernguitar like this.
  3. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

JJ as your power tubes (EL84's, labelled as V1 and V4 in the schematic) are a good choice, but aren't going to do much to fatten, or fill out the tone of this great little amp. I ran JJ EL84's, but a Tung Sol 12AX7 in the V3 pre-amp (closest to the ON/OFF switch). The thing that really added that extra something, though, was putting a NOS GE 5751 in the V2 pre-amp tube position (closest to the input jack). Really helped round out/fill out the sound. Nice upgrade.

Also, I put an Eminence Red Fang RF10C speaker that gave it some more punch. The stock speaker, though, on this amp is a pretty good one.

- Bob

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    teleplayer99 likes this.
  4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

It's a 10w amp with a 10" speaker, so there's only so much you can get.
    Furthermore, the top boost circuit isn't really known for big low end.

I can only suggest removing the bright cap if there is one, they make Vox amps much more shrill.

teleplayer99 likes this.
  5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I miss my AC10 put JJ’s and n it and finally got it dialed in. Was getting no use so it sadly had to go...cool little amp.

tarheelbob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.