1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox HW AC - 30

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bendecaster, Mar 22, 2021.

1. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

I've been eyeballing one of these but wonder if anyone has any experience with one and can give me an idea what to expect(besides the price tag). Is it loud enough for big stages like festivals and such. I'm really optimistically hoping there will be festivals this year.

Pluses and minuses?

DeepDangler and CV Jee Beez like this.
  2. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure what specific model you are referring to, but....

In general the Handwired Vox Amps retain many of the "classic" features lost to the "Custom" series amps: Tube Rectifier, Choke, etc. The quality of the components and serviceability are much better also.

I wouldn't worry much about being "loud enough" for festivals - you'd likely be mic'd anyway. I would worry about it being "too loud" for everywhere else. Especially if you are wanted to play with anything more than clean tone.

bendecaster likes this.
  3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

current AC30HW seems to have a master volume so yeah, should be usable in maximum situations and smaller stages as well. 2x12 should be enough amp for any playing situation.

Someguitarguy and bendecaster like this.
  4. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Afflicted

I had one. Gigged and jammed with it. Used it at home. Very heavy. I think it's 75-85 lbs. Loud. Even in 15 watt mode. If you're in a band with another guitar player that uses a half stack, then the AC30HW will work well to be heard in the mix. The amp is naturally a little strident but, you can EQ some of that out with the cut knob and potentially a speaker swap. I ditched the blues in favour of the no longer made Celestion Lynchback. I plugged it into a cab I had with an Alnico Gold and Heritage 30 55 Hz and thought it was too stiff and bassy.

All in all, the AC30HW would be killer for festivals. Power to burn and a really great projection of sound.

bendecaster likes this.
  5. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I have the AC15HW1 and that’s loud enough for bars and clubs. The AC30 is as loud as most half stacks. It will be too loud for small gigs if you’re trying to make the tubes sing. It will also be a boat anchor. My AC15HW weighs 50 pounds with the birch cabinet.

bendecaster likes this.
  6. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I forgot to say how much I like the amp. The HW AC amps sound incredible. Easy to dial in, reliable, rock solid construction, and beautiful to look at. You can jump the channels for more power if needed but usually run into the normal channel and use a drive pedal. The top boost channel sounds great on its own and you can also run an AB pedal to switch between the sides. If you can get a good deal, you’ll never want to sell it.

JamesAM and bendecaster like this.
  7. bendecaster

Thanks, Gentlemen!

I think I'll go for it.

8. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

If you are totally committed to the 30 watts disregard the following
    (but remember a 30 watt Vox amp is more like 60-80w from other brands - an AC 30 is very, very loud)

Trinity Amps in Canada makes a handwired Vox-style amp that has some distinct advantages over the Vox version.
    https://www.trinityamps.com/product/tc15/
    I just love the EF86 channel (this is based on an older generation of Vox amps - with some improvements added by Matchless). The other channel is the familiar Vox "top boost" preamp. It is an AC-15 equivalent (two EL84s) so although it is perfectly capable of breaking every window in your house, it won't make cracks in your home's foundation like a four EL84 amp).

Or if you must have four EL84s, check the absolute king of Vox-family amps:

drewg, DeepDangler and bendecaster like this.
  9. bendecaster

Nice! sounds great! Both are very nice but in the same ballpark, price-wise, for a single 12" combo where the Vox is a 2-12". I still think I'm going with the Vox for my money.

DeepDangler likes this.
  10. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Are the Hand Wired Vox amps still made in the UK?

bendecaster likes this.
  11. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

I have the 15hw with the greenback (the 30 is just too loud for me- it’s a legit arena amp) and I love it. The greenback when dimed with humbuckers gets you into dare I say plexi territory. It’ll only sound better with the 30, but obscenely loud- the master volume on my 15 is outstanding, so I would imagine the 30’s will be as well.

I love mine. Love. Especially on the dimed normal channel with a Naga viper going into it. I play it in stereo with a 5e3 and, if I could play better, you might mistake it for Rory Gallagher territory.

I was worried the gain wouldn’t be high enough, but the treble booster fixed that quick.

I love this video- there are times when I think, “do I need a marshall?” And then this video reminds me that my rig is perfect as is. this is the pcb version, but I think you’ll find the tube recto will make yours feel a bit less stiff.

They’re made in vietnam, but I’ve not had a problem with mine. This generation of HW Acxx has been out for over 10 years now and I haven’t heard many qc complaints at all. They’re pretty bulletproof imo.

edited to add that the depreciation on these is crazy even with inflated current gear prices. You can find a used one for a song if you look hard. My local gc was selling one in great shape for $1300.

Woollymonster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.