vox choke questions for an ac10

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Dennis Perusse, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Dennis Perusse

Dennis Perusse Tele-Meister

Hello everyone,

I have a question on early vox chokes. Once I finish up one of my other projects I plan on starting to acquire parts to do a vox ac10 build and put it in an ac30 chassis as I have one. I plan on using one of the original schematics for this build and I plan on using an L-shaped chassis using the original tube configuration, but I'm stuck slightly on what choke to look for.

Now on the two schematics that I have, both from Vox, one says to use a 5h 120 ma choke. No another schematic shows to use an 8 hy 120 ma choke. Now I am not sure which one to use as I also have "A Service Engineer's Guide to the Vox AC30 Valve Amplifier" and it also shows an 8 hy 120 ma choke.

Now here is the rub, I am having a bear of a time trying to find an 8hy choke but I can find a 5 hy choke easily. Does it matter if I use the Classic tone choke ( http://www.classictone.net/40-18032.html ) from the Marshall into the Vox? Personally I don't have a problem with it as it would fit one of the schematics but it bothers me a bit as I wonder should I just use the classic tone for the ac15 (http://www.classictone.net/40-18082.html ) as the circuit is the same for the power and output sections of it?

Any help settling the confusion is greatly appreciated. :)

ac10_1.jpg ac10_3.jpg

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

I would just use the Marshall. Close counts.

3. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

Another consideration is the DC resistance. I'm not sure what the DC resistance is for an AC10 though. Mercury magnetics makes an exact replacement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.