Vox Cambridge50

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by LGOberean, Jan 25, 2020.

1. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

Apparently because of the low voltages running through them the shouldn't need swapping out. A vox rep on on one video was saying. Can't find it now though

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

True, tho at low voltages u also don't get the same tube dynamics. Trust me, if they did tube designers would always run the tubes at low voltage rather than 300v for more reasons thatn i have time to list, including as u mentioned reliability/tube life. That was why the tube overdrive pedals from the 90s never got popular. Even a 12AX7 they put in many SS amps for a preamp are run at low voltage and also never really deliver tube feel and tone any better then a well designed SS circuit or modeling. I think it's marketing really.

3. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

My old vox ad60vtx/and ad120vtx amps DO use a tube in the power section at low voltage and it DOES really work. The dynamics and feel are very tubelike.

4. fender4life

Generally thats not the case tho which is why they are usually run at high voltage. Could be the amp might have been as good w/o it, u never know. I've run low voltage preamps in tube builds i have done and they always feel compressed and have lousy dynamics. And thats only low by typical standards (around 180 VDC) nothing like they use in these hybrids.

5. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

Waiting patiently on LG.... ;)

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, sorry...I started another thread and so it's been a while since I checked back here...

Stratguy70 likes this.
  7. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

Haha! Ok just saw it!

8. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

Well i tried the amp without the tubes and it didnt work. Its in the circuit and it does work. I also have a valvulaor 1 unit with a tube in it and putting it before a modeler really warms the signal up. I think its a similar concept?
    Anyhow the VR tech is pretty similar to what blueamp uses now just a diff tube.

nick0 likes this.
  9. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

I was under the impression that the 300v needed to run valves ( tubes ) was for the clean headroom, lower plate current gets into more overdrive. Or have I got it completely wrong?

10. fender4life

A 12AX7 be run way less than 300v but yeah, they lose a lot of headroom and the tone just becopmes dull and muddy generally. Maybe this nutube is designed differently and made to run efficiently at low V, i just don't know. But from my experience it's the power section thats responsible for that feel we love about tubes. I could never get that with tube preamps into ss power but it was easy to get doing ss pre into tube power. The problem with making a modeling/tube hybrid like that are the transformers. Tube power would for example raise the weight of my GT from 20 to probably 35 Lbs minimum. Thats why they always use a tube pre, but as i said to my ear at least hey don't sound and feel like tubes any more then good modeling does. In fact, from my experience i find good modeling does it better. But thats just one mans opinion as other posts prove.

nick0 likes this.
  11. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I prefer Fender over Marshall
    I prefer Vox over Fender
    I prefer Boss over Vox

Imo, Marshall and Fender need to up their game tone wise, it's been way too long and people now EXPECT Cambridge/Katana level tone.

12. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

Fender did up their game according to them with the TM amps as they have far better modeling ability then the gt/gtx amps. Why they just wont use this amazing modeling for the gtx series is beyond logic if they want to really be a "serious" modeling contender.

ASATKat likes this.
  13. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

Have you tried the GTX?
    Seriously, have you ever heard one i person?
    Why are you making statements like this when they haven't even released it?
    Just out of curiosity, and with respect, can you please tell me your age?

14. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

not yet but will try when i see them at GC. I did try the gt and didnt care for it. My point was that fender admitted 1) the TM modeling was way above any gt modeling
    2) the gtx is supposed to be/gonna be what the gt promised to be.
    I hope so for all you guys getting them. Why does my age have anything to do with my posts?
    Also i still use and like my cybertwin se 2-12 combo and did compare it to the gt200 i had at home for a few weeks and still prefered the CT SE. But thats just me and 1 opinion.

15. scattitude

scattitude TDPRI Member

I haven't chimed in for a bit, so I'll add a few comments, now that I've had some real gig-time with the Cambridge 50.

As for playing with a band, sure, if you play in a loud metal band with no amp-mic'ing, this probably won't cut it. I do a range of styles from rock-blues-jazz-funk-R&B etc. in small to medium size rooms or outdoor venues, with a typical rhythm section. Volume-wise, it has been fine, keeping in mind that you can crank this thing pretty high without clipping the speaker.

As for tone, I used the Tone Room software to dial in my tone and access a few extra parameters. That said, here is my objective take: I am a tube-amp guy and use Boogies and a D-Style, plus some nice boutique pedals, so that is a pretty high benchmark for tone. The Cambridge 50 alone will make you miss that tone and nuance somewhat if you are used to it. But you can still get expressive tone built-in OR more expressive tone with a boutique pedalboard feeding the amp. If you must always have your BEST tone on every gig, just spend the cash and get a really nice tube amp. As I mentioned my getting this as a grab-and-go for jam sessions, etc., the reason I will take it to a gig is because first, at a jam session, I might play a few tunes and need a quick setup and tear down, and it isn't worth the trouble for my best rig. I have been playing a long time and have IMHO great chops that can exceed the compromise made by a cheaper amp - so your mileage may vary. Second, I might have a silly little restaurant gig with an average cover band; or maybe a shlep up some stairs where I want to be able to carry my rig easily in one trip. In short, this is my "low-maintenance-gig" amp, nothing more.

So...if you are shopping for your only amp, my advice - if you can afford it, is to get a nice tube amp - even one without FX. Just a great clean and warm-sounding amp that you can run pedals into; and if it has a nice overdrive channel, all the better. But if you are like me and want a second amp for the things I mentioned, it beats most of the solid state and modeling amps out there - especially in this price-range. Hope that clarifies it a bit.

jageya likes this.
  16. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

May I point out that if Fender incorporated the Tonemaster level of modeling in the GTX, then it would be $1000 or more, instead of $400-500. You get what you pay for. I'm very happy with the tones I get from my Mustang LT25, and I've gained several players much better than I am as followers on Instagram, based on my videos posted using that amp, my Katana Mini, and Yamaha THR10C. I receive a lot of compliments on my tone, and it's all recorded on the little built-in mic on my Nikon point and shoot digiatl camera.

17. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

SAYS who? You only say this because the tm is already 800-900.00. Overpriced for sure but they have to price it close to the tube version or they will castrate their tube sales right? Economy is no tanking and 2020 will be a year where many wont buy anything like amps ect: maybe here people do on this board but overall people arent gonna be dropping $$ at gc as much as say 2018/19.

Fender can do what you suggest at a $500-700 price but then it will castrate the tm amps. So they will never release tm modeling in a gtx amp.NEVER. They have already said the TM modeling is far above the gt amps so I for one am not interested in the gtx amp. Why settle for subpar modeling a company does when they admitted they can do and have done way better?
    Even podgo is using the helix amps/effects (the majority but same algo's). Line 6 does have spider amps and others that use old hd/pod modeling onboard but why setlle for that when you can get a podgo with hx insidefor $450 with less otions of course but still its the tones that matter most.?

Fender has left a bad taste in my mouth with modeling just as vox has by dumbing down units into cheaply made "toys" and admitting they arent as good as they can do and have done. Imagine hiring a guy to build your deck and he says after it built that your deck isnt on the same level of build as your neighbors that they just built too and said your neighbors deck is the deck that yours should have been. Or something similar to this. Would you feel ok with that?

18. fender4life

Doug is correct. Ever looked at the cost of a PC processor chip? Notice the higher end ones are extremely expensive, far far more then the lower end and mid priced ones? When i used to build my own PCs the entire cost was often less than the newest state of the art processor alone. Thats why the TMs are more and why you will not find a GT like amp in the price range that can match the TMs for pure tone. You're paying for processing power and it's also why the TMs have that extra edge. In fact, according to fender it has 4 cores and the one used only for the amp models if far more powerful than the entire processing power of the GT including everything, models, effects etc. The reverb is so processor dependent that they use 2 cores just for that ! So the reverb uses insanely more power than the entire GT/GTX.

19. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.