Vox Cambridge50

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by LGOberean, Jan 25, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

As I’ve freely admitted in this thread, I didn’t get a chance to test drive one of these Cambridge50 amps before ordering it. I have also stated in this thread that I am definitely looking for this to be a gigging amp. So your perception of the amp “sounding small” is duly noted. If that turns out to be the case, then I will return it to GC. There are several considerations that still make me hopeful, however.

To begin with, your assessment that the amp was not gig-able you qualified with the statement “not with a band.” My application for the Cambridge50 is not within the context of a band. I'm a solo performer, and I’d be playing to audiences of 100 or less in an outdoor setting, like a patio or to a group of RV campers at a state park. I am looking for an amp that’s comparable in output to my Fishman Loudbox Mini. I’m looking to run my vocals and acoustic/electric guitar through my Fishman LBM, and my tele into the Cambridge50.

Earlier in this thread, @scattitude said that he bought the Cambridge50 as a “lightweight, all-in-one, grab-and-go amp for rehearsals, jam sessions and non-boutique-dependent gigs. It can get plenty loud and for those purposes, it is an inexpensive, quality product that does the job.” So, I’m reading two very different assessments here. No offense to you, but I’m hoping I wind up agreeing with scattitude’s assessment.

Furthermore, you referred to the fact that it runs off an AC adapter into a DC 19V “wall wart” as an indication that “it doesn’t seem made for louder volumes.” That doesn’t track with my experiences. Now I admit again that I haven’t tried the Cambridge50, so I’m not trying to make hard and fast pronouncements. At the same time, I’ve owned and gigged with two amps that had DCV/AC adapters. In neither case did the “wall wart” equate to less output. One was a Crate TX50D “Limo” and the other a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge. I gigged the Crate Limo for 10 years, and the Fishman LBMC replaced the Crate, and I’ve gigged it for a year. Volume was never an issue; I never had to crank either amp.

And Vox has been using these AC adapter (DC10V) cords for a lot of their latest offerings, including the MV50 heads. I was very interested in the MV50s when they first came out, and I’ve read most every TDPRI thread I could find on them. I don’t recall anyone saying that those amps couldn’t get loud because of that cord.

I have test driven Vox’ Mini Super Beetle, and that mini stack by itself wasn’t loud enough to gig with. But that’s because the 8 ohm speaker in the cab yields 25 watts, not 50. I don’t think it was the fault of the “wall wart.”

So, like I said, I’m hoping the Cambridge50 will work for the gigging situations/venues I have in mind. But if it truly doesn’t cut it, I will return it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    nick0 likes this.
  2. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

worse case is return it. I still think you should find an older ad60vtx vox amp. Its a killer amp

3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Well, like i eluded to that was just one man's opinion and u gotta read between the lines. For example, to me i can't see it as a gig amp but sure you *can*. I mean, u could gig a pignose with a mic or if like u using it for smallish solo gigs. For me personally it's simply not what i need for that purpose and expectations. But again, we all have different needs and expectation and situations. You may be quite good to go with it by your description of what u want it for and your expectations. But this was just my personal assessment after trying it in hopes of finding it to be worth trying on the GC 45 day period. It has some good sounds but i didn't find them to be anything special. I always look at the tones an amp makes using two different criteria....quality of tone, and type of tone. When i say type i mean the general feel and EQ curve, how percussive it can be etc. But not meaning marshall or fender or etc etc. In this case i liked the type, but the quality i felt was not uite there for me. I thought maybe the nutube might change some of that but same as with a preamp tube in an otherwise SS amp, i just seems like a gimmick. I used to build amps for a number of years and that plus many years of gigging tube amps one conclusion i came to that seems to always prove true to may ear at least is that it;s the tube power section that really creates the tube feel and dynamics, not the preamp. I think the fact one of the most used setups to this day is a tube amp with pedals creating the distortion.
    Anyways, i'm anxious to hear what u think. I feel the amp has some real potential but for me that may mean a 100w version with a bit more control and features. Maybe that will happen eventually. I think a bigger cab and power amp would really allow it to put out the bigger sound that was what i missed in it.

4. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

some Guys say they gig with a yamaha thr10!!! or now thr30 boombox amp. I say always try what you may be interested in and if you can take it home for a week or so.I know within a few hours maybe days if needed if its worth it for me.

5. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

6. fender4life

She sure DOES rock ! Her playing's not bad either. :D

7. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

i have always like the vox tone as a player.

8. LGOberean

UPDATE: The tracking via UPS/GC shows that the Vox Cambridge50 amp has made it from OKC to Ft. Worth and made its way further south to San Antonio as of this afternoon. They should have it at the GC here tomorrow. I've got an afternoon gig, so I'll probably be picking it up after my gig. Soon I'll get to test this amp out to see if it'll work for me.

nick0 and brookdalebill like this.
  9. fender4life

Good feeling huh?! I love seeing that "out for delivery" notice, or in this case u r picking it up from GC as i am with the GTX. They charged my card so i should be seeing the GTX100 b4 too long, tho not near as soon as you. Good luck with it, i hope it meets your expectations. Looking forward to see what u think after having had much more time than the few minutes i had with it.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

what afternoon gig do you have? I never heard of midweek afternoon gigs.

11. LGOberean

I volunteer to play for seniors facilities (retirement, assisted living, rehab, nursing) on weekday afternoons, 14-15 gigs per month. They're scheduled in the afternoons for two reasons: the residents as a rule don't stay up late; I can do a mid-afternoon gig, be done by 4pm like today, and still have my evenings open to take paying gigs. The arrangement I've made with the various area seniors facilities is I'll do these 1-1.5 hour afternoon shows for them at no charge, but if they ever want to book me for a special occasion or event, then my standard rates apply.

black_doug likes this.
  12. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

wow thats cool..i have never been to a senior center...yet

13. fender4life

These days the only people that will listen to the stuff i play are seniors. :D

14. LGOberean

I prefer playing for seniors over paying gigs any day.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like to get paid for what I do. Come Saturday I'll be playing a 3 hour gig for a dockside eatery in a nearby coastal town, $150 plus tips. It's nice when I'm paid well and an audience appreciates what I'm doing. But such gigs can be just about the money. When I perform for folks that treat me like a flesh covered radio, I don't get as much satisfaction from such gigs.

But seniors are always grateful for what I do. I could come in and play a lot of music that they don't know, and they'd still be appreciative and attentive. But I've made it a point to perform the music they want to hear. I'll get started with a song of two, then I'll spend an hour or more just taking one request after another. And they absolutely love it. They pack the room, are personally engaged with my performance. They will sing along (which I welcome), get up and dance (often with their walkers) and then applaud, and sometimes even whoop and holler (down here I get a lot of gritos and cajun cries). Quite often they will weep from the joy of fond memories, of their youth, of a song shared with a loved one now passed on, etc. I'll tell you, compared to that kind of reception, playing background music in a restaurant where they are just talking over you just pales in comparison.

I have the advantage of knowing a lot of music from their era and from different genres (Western swing, Classic Country, jazz standards, show tunes, Spanish songs). My parents were both musical and I learned a lot of their repertoire growing up in the '50s, hearing them sing on the patio. That repertoire serves me in good stead now, playing to folks that are my parents' age (my Dad's gone, but Mom's still with us) or a bit older. Speaking of Dad, I do this in no small part because of him. When I was a boy he took me to nursing homes to sing. He was a guitar player and singer himself. So I do this to honor his memory, and in general just to give back to a generation that has given so much to me.

dswo and Bristlehound like this.
  15. LGOberean

Oh, BTW, to get back to the topic of this thread, I picked up my Cambridge50 from the GC on my way home from my gig. I got it home, unboxed it and got about an hour of playing time on it before my wife got home and we settled in for supper and some evening television. I'm go to try to get a little more time in on it before putting my wife to bed. More to come...

16. fender4life

Well, for what u r doing i think it will do just fine, but i'm anxious to hear your review. But for what u do for the seniors i bet a deluxe tone master would be the best by far w/o going to tubes. I know....far more $ and heavier. But i think it would be not just better then the vox but probably about the perfect amp for your needs. I may grab one some day when they start showing up used as a second amp.
    By the way, the GTX has arrived at the warehouse and is starting to ship. One guy at TGP says he got the fedex tracking notice for his.

LGOberean likes this.
  17. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I tip my hat to you, sir.

LGOberean likes this.
  18. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

There is an app for this amp it is the tone room, ( reminiscent of fender fuse). The cab is most probably made of chipboard. I have a Vox VT100X and I put a Celestion speaker (G12H-100) in that and to be honest it never made much difference, the stock speaker is quite good. From the Videos there does not seem to be a huge difference between the Cambridge & VTX soundwise, just one has Newtube and other has 12AX7A.

19. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

On the vtx range they have 8 presets which does not sound huge but I found adequate for stage use.

20. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

I found the VTX real easy to use , it took me a while to fathom the app and I only used the app once just to unlock the extra sounds available to the amp. I have just used the amp on its own ever since. After migrating from a Mustang 3v2 I found it piece of cake. Just my opinion of course.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.