Vox Cambridge50

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by LGOberean, Jan 25, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve mentioned my curiosity about this amp in a couple of other threads, but I’m going to start one about this new release in the hopes of generating some discussion of it.

Vox unveiled this Cambridge50 modeling amp in time for Winter NAMM 2020. Since it’s so new, I don’t expect to see one for a while, Corpus Christi seems to lag way behind new releases. I haven’t even seen one of the Vox VX50 GTVs, which is essentially the same amp in terms of chassis and circuitry. (The speaker size and cabinet material/construction of the two amps are different.)

The Cambridge50 is a 1x12” 50-watt combo amp. It has a NuTube preamp and utilizes Vox’ Virtual Element Technology, offering 11 amp models, including a Line “model” for acoustic/electric guitar or keyboard. It also has 8 effects to select from. It has the familiar Vox Gain and Volume controls, and Treble and Bass EQ. It has a cab-simulated headphone out and a power attenuator.

I'll post some video demos/reviews tomorrow (well, make that later today). Time got away from me, and I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload_2020-1-25_1-30-16.png

Attached Files:

younkint, nojazzhere and Stratguy70 like this.
  2. LGOberean

Good morning, TDPRI. After being up late to start this thread, I'm coming back to it. Again, to be clear, I'm curious about this amp, which is actually kind of curious itself, since I'm not typically that drawn to modeling amps. But my indifference or reticence about them isn't usually about the tonal quality of the amps modeled, but the complicated nature of scrolling through banks of blinking lights and trying to figure out or remember how to interpret the different colors. So I like the comparative simplicity of this amp's layout.

As promised, I'll post some videos, starting with Vox' brief introductory clip...

...and then a sound sample of the Deluxe CL (a clean DRRI?)...

...followed by a sound sample of the AC30 model...

3. LGOberean

And here are some reviews that are out there thus far. Again, this is a brand new product, so there's not a lot out there yet, but here are a couple of reviews from two weeks ago.

Professional Music Technology in the UK has a review that I found helpful.

This video review by Better Music in Australia is a helpful one as well.

This video wasn't as helpful to me. James skipped some of the amp models, so it's not as comprehensive as the other videos above. But I include it because James actually used the Line in. It would have been even better if he had used an acoustic/electric guitar, but it was still helpful.

This one is the most recent video that I've seen, and it's a good one. The reviewer himself (didn't catch his name) seemed a little stiff (as in uncomfortable) in front of the camera, and seemed to be rushing through lines in his delivery. But he did a good job of comprehensively reviewing the amp, and he had the good sense to use a Tele. :twisted:

younkint, Georox and Stratguy70 like this.
  4. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

Funny this thread comes up, as I spent some time last night looking at the info on this. I have been comparing the Katana 50 m2, Fender Mustang GTX 50, and the Cambridge 50.
    For ptice in Canada, the Vox is about $100 cheaper than the Fender, but $50 more than Katana. I've decided I'm not going to base the the purchase on savings of $100 if I have to live with the amp for a few years.
    Size is comparable on all 3 with GTX being the largest by an inch, I think.

Ok, Katana is out, I've decided, as I like my edge of breakup and chime tones. Also, I want to use my phone app, which Katana can't do.

Both GTX and Cambridge have Celestian speakers, not sure of the difference.
    I like the fender handle/ looks better as the all black look is not my favorite.
    Fender has a wood cabinet, does the Vox, or is it MDF?
    It basically comes down to sounds, as I'm not afraid of deep editing.
    Does the Vox have a phone app to edit?

In the limited demos I've heard, the Vox sounds more warm and full especially in headphones. That is not a good way to tell though, as my Mustang GT is plenty warm, full and chimey...
    GTX has a proper tuner, and endless effect possibilities, but all I personally need is delay reverb and tremolo.

Which one? Sheesh, who knows!

They're all so nice these days, and I no longer miss my Pathfinder 15R or Gibson Skylark.
    For under $500 these days, we really get alot.
    Looking forward to people's thoughts when they become available to compare.
    Apologies for blabbing on.

5. LGOberean

You didn't strike me as "blabbing on," and even if you were, I'm the last guy that should say anything about that! Sometimes I think I should have gone with "Loquacious Larry" as my username! :oops:

I like edge of breakup and chime, too, and I'm not missing my Pathfinder 15Rs, because I have three. :D But I want more wattage output, and other amp voicings for my guitar with humbuckers (I'm not as crazy for the sound of humbuckers into a PF15R), so I've been considering options. I've kind of ruled out the Katana for me, but I'd like to try the BOSS Nextone. But the Cambridge50 has the NuTube technology (I've been impressed by that in the Mini Super Beetle), and I figured with this I could get usable Fender and Marshall tones with AC tones all in one package.

So I'm looking forward to checking one out.

6. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

I believe the aux/ headphone jacks on the GTX are metal too as opposed to plastic on the C50. I may be wrong.
    I'm thinking build quality may be better, and the 2 year warranty, as opposed to 1 for C50.

7. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

Nice amp, though I probably wouldn’t need the high gain amp models. Seems easy enough to setup and tweak as well.

So now we have a lot of similar amps in this range, including the Katana, Blues Cube, and Nextone. I still love my Blues Cube but have to admit that these newer modeling amps are worth checking out.

8. jageya

jageya Tele-Meister

no chime in the ac30 sample- just not jumping in yet on the vox nutube things yet. Seems they start by offering cheapies in build and tone lately.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I know you said you would like more power, but the amp I'D like Vox to come out with is a reissue Pathfinder 15R with a 12" speaker....along the lines of the AC4 with a twelve.
    Sorry to interrupt....please return to regular replies. ;)

LGOberean likes this.
  10. LGOberean

I think every Pathfinder 15R owner has fantasized about a bigger speaker and more wattage output. And to me, Vox was on the right track with the Mini Super Beetle. I like the look of the MSB25 better than the Cambridge50, but to have 50 watt output in a 1x12" cabinet is a better way to go (although not as cute), and with other amp voicings besides.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Don't overlook the new Fender Mustang LT50, which is a 50 watt 112 version of the great Mustnag LT25. I'v owned the Katana 50 and GT40, and I prefer the LT25 to both, simply because I think it sounds better. I usually use it on the BF Deluxe amp model and use an overdrive pedal for dirt, but the onboard virtual Klon, Rat, and TS overdrives sound great too. The LT25 is $150 and the LT50 is $250.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Fendereedo likes this.
  12. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Here's another one I've never seen before

13. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I had the VX1 and VX2, which are the same preamp and digital engine and control layout with less power and smaller speakers. They sounded quite good, with the Boutique overdrive (Dumble) being my personal favorite. Unfortunately on the VX15, VX50, and Cambridge 50 they removed the Tweed Bassman amp model to make room for the line in, so they could still use the same 11 position rotary dial. It's rather dissaponting that Vox still only includes memory for 2 user presets. The Mustang LT25 and LT50 have 30, and the GT/GTX have even more.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    LGOberean likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Something I don't remember mentioning before, prior to "discovering" the PF15R, I owned a Vox VT20+.....a modeling amp with a boatload of different voices.....none of which quite did it for me. I think I envisioned taking one small amp to a gig, and then dialing up different sounds, depending on the song. The problem was, you couldn't always QUICKLY make changes, so it turned out not to be practical. The other issue was, the different amp models were "almost but not quite" the right sound. I'm sure the Cambridge is an improvement, but where we differ is, I don't WANT much more power than a PF15R......I don't need or want to be louder than one of these I have. (1X12" and 4X8")

younkint likes this.
  15. LGOberean

As I've said, I have not seen or played through one of these Cambridge50s yet. Based on what I know of my own tastes and on what I've heard thus far (in the videos posted above), I'm guessing that the Boutique CL will be my alternate clean voicing of choice, with my go-to clean voice being the AC30. It's not that I don't think the Fender-y Deluxe CL isn't useful, but I've long preferred the AC style clean or the beefy clean of a Peavey Bandit. As for the two presets, I'll be lucky if I can figure out how to program and use two, can't imagine needing more.

16. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

I think my first amp was an advt30, and I loved that amp. I traded it for a Tech 21 Trademark 60.
    I always wished I could have that feeling back of when I bought the Vox... the warmth, chime, .. just the Vox thing.

Once again, I do apologize for bringing the "Vox vs. Fender " into this thread above.
    I always wondered if the Vox VT20X would bring back that Vox thing for me.
    I loved the Pathfinder 15R, sold it foolishly too. Nuts.
    The Mini Super Beetle is just too expensive for what it is. The green version is cool, but that's even more $.
    Now with Nutube, maybe that's just the ticket to scratch that itch.
    We'll see.

17. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

Thanks Doug. I have a Fender GT40, not sure the LT25 would really add more over that.

18. LGOberean

Interesting points, you're bringing up aspects and features that I'm after. This is precisely why I start threads, ask questions, seek input and take a deliberate approach to purchases. Now that you've pointed out your experiences with the VT20+, I'm more determined than ever to not buy until I try. If my test drives result in the amp voicings "not doing it for me," or dialing in tones would be too problematic in performance, then this amp won't be for me. And I'd rather face that now than suffer buyer's remorse.

I am hoping the Cambridge50 will indeed be a small-ish amp that I can gig with. I have no worries about the C50 being loud enough for gigging. If I can gig with a Pathfinder 15R, I can gig with this. I'm hoping that it will give me my Vox AC tones plus a few different amp voicings and a few effects. I might on occasion use the Brit1959, but I'll probably never use (in performance, anyway) the "gainier" amp models. As it is now, I don't change amp settings during performance much at all. So I see me dialing in different tones on the amp between songs, not during, except for maybe using the VFS2 to switch between preset user programs A and B.

For the most part, the types of gigs I'm going to be doing aren't going to change, and so I won't need 50 watts. But I want to have an amp for the odd gig or jam that will need more firepower than the PF15R. Mine, as you probably recall, are all stock with the 8" speaker.

younkint and nojazzhere like this.
  19. LGOberean

Well, as I've said, I'm hoping for Vox + Fender, not Vox vs. Fender. I'm wanting different voicings, and I play mostly clean, so the Deluxe CL and the Boutique CL I'm hoping are good additions to the AC tones I already get from my Pathfinder 15Rs and expect to be good on the C50.

As for the Mini Super Beetle being "too expensive for what it is," I'm not sure I agree. The mini stack itself gives 25 watts, but it has reverb and trem, and with another 8 ohm cab will give you 50 watts. I suppose the necessity of a second cab to get the full 50 means more expense (if you don't already own another cab, that is), and in that sense I can see your point. I actually prefer the iconic look over the Union Jack or the British Racing Green. But all things considered, I don't think the MSB is overpriced.

When you said "Now with Nutube, maybe that's just the ticket to scratch that itch," I'm not sure how you were applying that. You do realize that the MSB does have NuTube preamp and trem, right?

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

I do, yes.
    In Canada, the Msb is $449 + tax. I guess that's not huge expensive, but the C50 will $100 less here and has added models / effects. No need for pedals / extra cabinet.
    I shouldn't bring price into it, bad habit.
    It's what inspires , isn't it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.