Vox brings out the coolest looking practice amp the Mini Super Beetle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by warrent, Jun 28, 2018.

1. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

The "Mini Beetle" sounds fine in the demos but is a little too gimmicky for me. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Vox are also releasing the MVX150H head:

150W (with power scaling) two channel amp which also incorporates NuTube technology and includes reverb (no tremolo).

[​IMG]

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The two videos produced so far don't really make me think I'd actually like it... could just be bad videos.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd want three of them, some mini Ludwigs and plush toys that looked like the Beatles in the cartoons in front of them. Or behind them in Ringo's case.

telemnemonics and warrent like this.
  4. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I think it's cool looking and l like the specs, but I gotta keep reminding myself I'm a Fender guy.

This NuTube stuff interests me.

unixfish likes this.
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yah the Nutube stuff is really neat/promising.

I just don't think I like the voicing of this one all that much.

The only Vox amp I've ever gotten to try out was an AC15 and I did really like that.

6. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

June 28, 2018. Keep up man!

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

NuTube are utilized as preamp tubes only. And it is a tube; it has all the components of a tube and operates as a tube. It's used as a tube not only in this, but other applications. In fact, it was used in other applications before Vox started using them for guitar amps.

PhredE likes this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

Yeah, I know. I think someone needs to be informed of what tubes do and how.

9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I guess he never heard of a 12AX7, or a million other preamp tubes? Vox never said it was a power tube.

nojazzhere and Hyliandeity like this.
  10. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

DHart likes this.
  11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I will reserve final judgement until I see & play one. However my initial reaction is I would prefer something closer in size to the old Pathfinder half stack, especially for the price. That would be easy to wire for a 4 or 8 ohm load using a 2 speaker cab and would give the option of a full 50 watt output, to cover jams & small gigs, this IMHO is too toy like for a practice amp; putting this chassis in a 1x8 Pathfinder box ( PFII?) would seem to ba a no brainer and more to my liking..

12. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Meister

I recall Thomas Blug stating he bought up all the Russian supply of micro tubes, I guess he missed several boat loads.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Then a ukulele is a guitar?
    A uke comes closer to doing what a guitar does than a nutube comes to doing what a preamp tube does. The nutube cannot even perform basic preamp tube functions, and requires a SS preamp for the preamplification, while the nutube imparts tubey stuff.

Not just what tubes do but what tubes are, seems relevant.
    Tube like, or having similar parts and functions.

Fair enough.
    This was in response to past discussions where IIRC @3-Chord-Genius was insisting that the Vox Nutube devices are tube amps.

OTOH even a 12ax7 can produce a watt of power and drive speakers.

WRT what the nutube actually does, AFAIK it can't even produce the gain of a 12ax7.
    It provides "tube tone", but not the other functions of a preamp or power tube.
    AFAIK a nutube amp is a SS preamp with a nutube enhancing the tone, and a SS power amp.

All this sounded very interesting but after reading the data sheets and getting some basic understanding of the nutubes actual function, I don't see them as anything vaguely equivalent to tubes, or as modern day replacements for tubes.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    SngleCoil likes this.
  14. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It expired when Brian Epstein died. You can see it in the Promo vids the fab four did after Epstein's death, they went from Vox to Fender.
    [​IMG]

From what I read in the Beatles gear book, the Fab Four weren't all that happy with the Super Beatle, it was a solid state amp which went blisteringly loud but had no definition.

Another guy who was using Super Beatles at the time was Pete Townshend when the Who's US-tour was sponsored by Jennings. Townshend ditched his Marshalls for that but quickly regretted it since the sound of the Vox amps was NOT to his liking.
    [​IMG]
    The Who at Monterey Pop, Pete is about to use what is left of his Strat in an effort to pound some tone into those Vox amps.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

Nobody has to "insist" they're tube amps any more than someone has to "insist" that a Marshall Lead 12 is a solid state amp. NuTube is an actual tube. You not liking it does not change its functionality. There is no requirement for any tube to match the characteristics of any other tube to be considered a "tube".

stevemc, PhredE, Hyliandeity and 2 others like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You call that a tube? Now this is a tube, mate!

horax, PhredE, nojazzhere and 5 others like this.
  17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, although this could be ones bedroom/practice amp, at 25 watts--and 50 if you run another 8 ohm cab with it--this is plenty for me to gig with.

I do solo performances and duos, to small-ish venues/audiences. And I play clean most of the time, and the Rock that I do is Classic stuff, '50s and '60s era, including quite a bit of Beatles/British Invasion stuff. So I'm thinking/hoping this will work for me. Shoot, I've gigged a bunch with my Pathfinder 15Rs, and have been very happy with the results. So I have a hard time imagining that this won't work for me.

As I said before, the Vox MVX150 series , didn't interest me. I wanted something simple and straightforward, that was compact, lightweight, powerful enough for me to gig with, and affordable. The MVX150 (head or combo) went the other end of the Vox/NuTube spectrum: much more complex (but still lacking tremolo), not at all lightweight, and not at all affordable, comparatively speaking. They run a grand, while the MV50 heads are just $200. Seems like they did a big pendulum swing from the MV50s.

The MSB25, OTOH, is a happy balance of power (the same 25/50 watts as the MV50s), portability (about 2' tall, 1' wide, 7" deep, less than 20 lbs.) and affordability ($330). I will want to try this before I buy, if I can find one locally (I've had no luck thus far finding an MV50 in this town). But the news isn't 24 hours old yet, and already the GAS is building up big time. :oops:

PhredE likes this.
  18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting. Looks like fun, and a natural for Beatles Tribute bands. I wonder if I could build an AC10 into that enclosure....

asnarski likes this.
  19. MitchMiami

MitchMiami Tele-Meister

Regarding the amp being only one watt so it can’t be a tube amp, My vox AC4tv, has a preamp tube and a power tube, all tube only power and has a setting for 0.1 watt, yes one tenth of one watt. There goes your hypothesis.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  20. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I still like the damn thing.

Wish Fender got this creative.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.