Vox AV60 as bedroom amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telecaster88, Sep 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Yes, it was a stupid thing to write.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Weird. Every Twin (or BF/SF Fender for that matter) I’ve played on 1 sounds like thin, muffled, fizzy ****.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, for me the AV60 passed the opposite of the bedroom test.

Sounded great in the mix at rehearsal. Punchy. present. Detailed and dynamic. I think I was on AC30 with the Gain and channel Volume about 2/3 of the way up, the Master about 1/2or a bit more, and the guitar volume on 6 of 10. Nice purchase and value.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  4. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Hello,

Very interested in this thread, and reports on the Vox AV range in general. Curiously, hardly any shops in the UK are even stocking them - does anyone know if the amp has been given overall negative response ?

I bought a Fender Champion 40w a year ago, which has been marvellous for getting me back into playing, however I do find the sound to be either a little too muddy, or too brittle. So, inevitably I am looking for something with a little more of a valve warmth (given this is for home use, not necessarily an easy solution).

Hence I am considering an AV15 or 30.

I find the online demos really useful, though sometimes quite misleading, as I am never (and I mean never !!) going to be able to play like the seasoned Pros used for the filming.

As suggested above, I wonder if Vox are discontinuing - which would mean getting in sooner rather than later.

There is of course a debate that an AV wouldn't really be much of a change from the Champion...

Any thoughts from AV owners would be much appreciated !

Thanks as always...

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Just bumping this up to say I was looking for an amp cover for this model today, and checked Sweetwater -- they have the amp marked officially as "Discontinued." Just a head's up in case anyone was thinking about picking one up.

Also, FYI, Vox doesn't make a cover for the AV60 -- but according to one of the comments on SW, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe cover fits it perfectly. I'll find out this weekend once it arrives. I've never had a cover for any of my amps before, but this one has the tube vents on the top of the rig, and I want to avoid dust settling inside.

6. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Bumping again :) because a member DM'ed me for my thoughts, and I thought I'd share them publicly for posterity...

---

I've only had it a short while, but I do really like it. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for Vox-y Fender-y sounds. I got into the Vox modelers awhile back because a friend had one of the tiny 3 watt (?) Vox Mini3's, and the Blackface 2 x 12 Fender model on it sounded EXACTLY like my 1980's Fender Pro 185. It kind of blew my mind.

The clean models (Fender, Vox models, and to an extent the OD1 - some kind of Marshall, I'm no amp connoisseur) are sweet sounding. The more "hi-gain" the models try to get, the less useful I think they are. I'm not much of an effects guy, so I haven't messed much with the built in effects (delay, chorus, reverb)on the AV, but what I did mess with sounded fine to me!

Here are some caveats about my experience:

--I'm not picky at all, I'm not looking for super amazing mind-blowing "toanz" (as they say on the internet), just something that replicates the sound in my head when I play guitar, which is basically a Fender Clean. In that regard, this amp works well. My Fender guitars sound great through the Fender models, and my Epiphone ES339 sounds wonderful through the Vox models, especially the AC30.

--I play at home fairly quietly... (I have hyperacusis, so my days of playing in a loud rock n roll band are long over). So I haven't taken this amp much above 3 or 4 on the master volume, and I'm always wrangling the gain and volume to keep it decent but low volume. I would think it would sound even better louder, but can't personally vouch for that. It sounds great at bedroom levels.

--Like I said I don't use pedals much, but I have run an MXR phaser and Dyna Comp, and a BOSS Tremolo in front of it, and it sounded sweet.

-- I got mine (AV60) for super cheap on Sweetwater when they were blowing them out ($249, and I had a $20 gift card to apply). At regular SRP I wouldn't have bought it ( I didn't really NEED another amp!). (The AV30 watter is now the same price on SW. I would have actually preferred the AV30, since I don't play loud at all, but the deal was too good to pass up on the 60.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.