Vox amps don't like overdrive pedals; Vox amps love overdrive pedals.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I like stacking a Tube Screamer with a Blues Driver and then adding a booster (Micro Amp +) for an extra kick. Lot of tone variations there.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I can't say my Voxes like ODs, or at least that I get the desired results I would get, on say a Fendery type amp.
    MXR '78, and Plimsoul. Can't gef enough 'square edge' -goes creamy.

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know of anybody who has actually ASKED a Vox Amp if it likes pedals or, not.
    Even so, would that go for ALL Vox Amps or, just a select few?

4. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

It's probably more like "Vox amps don't like misadjusted pedals; Vox amps love well adjusted pedals". The trouble is dialing them in. I think they are finickier than some other amps. Someone mentioned an OCD and another a Zen Drive. I have both but have not had much luck dialing them in on my AC15HW, same with a Way Huge Green Rhino. My son-in-law has a Catalinbread Formula No. 5 which has had the best sound of any pedal through it to my ears. It sounds pretty good with his Epiphone Les Paul. I've had that amp almost two years but don't play it much. I probably should play it more to bond with it but I leave it over my son-in-law's house. If I did maybe then I could figure out how to dial in my drive pedals with it.

Veeseaczar and robt57 like this.
  5. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

I think you nailed it. The EQ on an AC15C1 is already kinda hard to understand. And with two gain stages already in the amp, you're tangoing with a lot already.

But once you learn your way around proper gain staging with the Vox, you can probably make most things work.

I think the main problem is that the amp doesn't seem to like bass frequencies too much, and plenty ODs add lots. And maybe, just maybe, people dont know how to separate bass from low mids when listening. So they knock the amp for sounding shrill or overloaded (too much treble, weak bass handling)--or opt for an overdrive pedal with a very flat eq curve, ala Timmy or OCD.

Thing is... That amp actually has a dip in low mids. If you can route around that sensitive area, you can add some aggressive **thwack** and chunk to the sound. But it'll be a little tricky. You need like the... Upper-lower mids. Too low and it gets farty.

So like, to wit, I just got a TS808--my first tube screamer ever. Overdrive is set at its lowest, tone at like 1-2 o'clock, volume maxed. Sounds aaaaccccceeee, my friends.

I think people who dont like the Vox+tube screamer (read: most overdrives, haha) thing are frightened by that midrange honk phenomenon or dont understand that in a band scenario, **you need those miiiiids my dooooood** But you're like a few gentle tone/eq knob shifts away from a killer rock sound.

Cut the bass a bit! Use volume instead of "overdrive"! Embrace the mids.

Learn Vox Jiujutsu!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    sonicsmitty likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.