Vox amps don't like overdrive pedals; Vox amps love overdrive pedals.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Dec 17, 2017.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

This is what I learned today from guitar forums and YouTube comments.

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I just picked up an AC15C1 last week, and just now realized I've completely forgotten to order a Hot Cake to go with it. The Internet told me it was the only dirt pedal that works with a Vox except maybe a Rat.

In all seriousness, I'll probably build a Hot Cake clone just to see what the fuss is aboot.

mnutz likes this.
  3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are simply too many different types of overdrives out there for people to make such generalizations, and yet they do. I have pedals that work great with certain amps and poorly with others. One size does not fit all.

4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Oh, and a Rangemaster.

Anode100 and CV Jee Beez like this.
  5. Chikubi

Chikubi Tele-Meister

Here, decide for yourself:

6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Well, it just goes to show that there are two kinds of people in the world. People who think there are two kinds of people and those who don't.

Wait a minute...

7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I used to have a tube Vox Super Berkeley Reverb (apparently there were tube versions and solid state versions - mine was tube). This was about 2000.

With an old script logo MXR Distortion + and my ancient Marshall 4x12 cab with Greenbacks, it sounded completely identical to Van Halen 1 - Van Halen 1984.

I loved that amp... but it was not well built, and was always needing work done to it. It was not road worthy, which is what I needed at the time.

So I sold it online.. to a guy that worked in research and development at Sans Amp / Tech 21. They ended up using it as the basis for several of their analog modeling pedals at the time (not sure which ones).

8. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

FWIW, I haven't found an OD yet that I couldn't use with my AC15C1. My OCD is really nice with it, and currently I'm enjoying my BD-2, which is one of those pedals that Vox amps are supposed to be particularly bad with.

3-Chord-Genius and Thin69 like this.
  9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My Rat and MXR il Torino work just fine with the AC15C1. Had a DOD FX50 that worked just fine also, gave it to a friend though.

I'm not sure it's the amp as much as doesn't work with your ears. A tomato/tomahto thing.:)

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've used a lowly TS-5 with my AC-15 for years. It shouldn't work according to most everyone on earth, but I sure like it.

BTW, a Zendrive sounds incredible, especially with a P-90 LP, a little compression and delay.

11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I've been using a silver Archer with my AC15C1, and its been fine. I think some people just have a hard time dialing in a Vox dry, and it becomes much harder when you have the added complexity of pedals.

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

The problem with Voxs' and pedals is that they're finicky. Most don't sound good, but a few sound great. You've got to do a lot of research to see what works.

My old Digitech Distortion didn't jive with my AC15C1. Not sure why, but it was a muddy mess. It has sounded good with every other amp I ever owned though. After watching a bunch of YouTube videos I got a Rat; it's beautiful.

13. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Every overdrive pedal I've tried on my AC15C1 works great. I've just had to find the appropriate settings for the pre-amp and master volumes and EQ controls. It isn't difficult. Just remember VOX ACs are strong in the high and upper mid-range frequencies and weaker in the lower end. Plan and adjust your settings with that in mind.

puddin, 3-Chord-Genius and Thin69 like this.
  14. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Vox amps don't like overdrive pedals; Vox amps love overdrive pedals.

Quite true. ;)

Mine actually does take the Prince of Tone pretty well, but I prefer it cleanish or at its own edge-of-break-up. When I do overdrive it, yep, I really like its inherent over-driven tones. Bells with rockets! It's very much an amp that doesn't need added OD, since its master volume and top boost functions can scorch it up so well.

I find that what it really needs is not added OD, but good added reverb and delay. Its on-board versions of both are lacking, compared to classic Fender reverb and tremolo.

15. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

I'm with you on the reverb...

But I quite like the trem circuit on the AC15's. I wouldn't say its better than a classic fender circuit, just different.

16. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Based on what I've read on the internet, I know it shouldn't work, but my ts-5 in the right spot sounds great through my Ac15. I'm fact, it sounds like the Vox with the preamp volume turned up. It allows me to get both the natural clean and overdriven sounds out of the amp without changing the overall volume.

The Rat is my go to distortion pedal. It gives me a nice sustaining distortion and a volume boost for solos and slide parts.

17. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Is your AC15 trem swooshy? Mine's almost unusably so, but then again, it is well over-due for new tubes....

18. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

AC15c2 here.. T-Rex Mudhoney into an MI Audio Blues Pro for low/moderate/stacked gains really blew me away.. The T-Rex replaced a Gain Changer.

19. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

I've not noticed a swooshyness...

But when I use the trem I use it sparingly, just a touch of "warble"

20. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

My Zen clone was always in front on my AC15 with Red Fang.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.