Vox AD 100VT tube socket issue

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Aburic, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Aburic

Aburic TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

I have a Box ad100vt I'm trying to save. Did some research, and it seems there's others with similar problems. I guess the tube socket isn't well made and the vibrations tend to loosen the tube itself out of place and cause the sound to cut in and out. Unfortunately the fixes ive looked into haven't worked, does anyone know if there's like a socket extension or replacement that would work for this? Or has anyone had this problem? I tried searching here.

Thanks

Alex

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Sounds like someone has been heavy handed in trying different valves and worn the socket.
    Replace it with a good quality B9A valve holder.

3. Aburic

Aburic TDPRI Member

I actually haven't ever replaced the original. It just cut out one day and after doing some research I found a guy with similar issues, took out and put back in the tube and it worked well (temporarily). Thanks for the tip!

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

A quick internet search shows a PCB mounted socket. I have no experience with the
    Vox AD 100VT amp, but similar designs with other amps have problems with soldering and/or PCB traces lifting which cause these types of issues. A combo amp is a rather brutal environment for tubes in general and it is even worse for PCB mounted tube sockets.

While it is possible a questionable quality socket was installed by Vox it is highly likely the connection to the board is compromised. Jon Snell (above) has been around the block a time or two, I would take his advice and replace the socket with a quality socket to cover all the bases.

5. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

I actually had a Fender Blues Junior in with intermittent/crackly sound.
    The socket, which is PCB Mounted, had one of the contacts bent the wrong side of the valve pin, causing poor connection as it was not pinching the leg, just touching one side. A torch and my trusty magnifying glass, with the cut off end of a G string (trimming from a restring job), insert the sharp string into the pin hole and gently bend the contact back inline and that was two years ago. That could have been like it for years as the valves have clamps on them.
    If PCB mounted sockets gave issues, I expect Fender, Peavey, Marshall and all the rest wouldn't use them but of course, there is always a first time.

Before jumping in, have a good visual check of the area, looking for bad soldering and a bent pin perhaps.
    Take your time and be methodical.

PS, I like the spell checker, Marshall and Fender, no problem but Peavey ..... ow that's another story!:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.