1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

VOX AC4tv

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by theGecko71, Jul 25, 2009.

1. southwoodgtars

southwoodgtars Tele-Holic

I would try plugging it in at a different outlet. If your using pedals check all if them. Try not to use a power strip. There are a lot of different things to try first. Oh and flouresent lights can cause hum. If it's none of these make sure your tubes are in correctly. That's about as far as my expertise goes...

2. southwoodgtars

southwoodgtars Tele-Holic

And good luck to you! That is a very annoying issue.

3. jmcfender1

jmcfender1 Tele-Holic

sweet little amp, I need a low watter for the house, and i love the vox. Sounds like this one can be modded to suit many desires.

4. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

OK No pedals, and yes there's a power strip. Floresant lights are in the house now so they are in the circuit but not any where near the amp. At work now but I'll try that tonight. Will try reseating the tubes at a later date.

5. theGecko71

theGecko71 Tele-Holic

Mine hums quit a bit, too, sometimes. Or most times, even though I have it plugged into a GFCI plug. But it's part of the lo-fi charm. That and the single-coil pickup of my Esquire, the crappy vintage 1980s pedals that I have, and the One-Spot power adapter for the pedals. Also the nearby computer doesn't help, either. The most quiet I can get is direct into the amp with the lights and computer turned off.

6. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

How bad is the hum with nothing plugged in?
    A well grounded outlet or ground lift may help.
    Mine is pretty quite with nothing plugged into it.

Yup, just turned it on and it was making a crackle and pop sound with nothing plugged in.
    So I took the amp out and reseated the tubes.
    Pretty darn quiet now thru 2 furman filtered power strips

7. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

I picked up an AC4mini for my sister for the upcoming Holiday. I was pretty noisy and started to distort perfectly for a guitar if not a little sooned than I'd want for her purposes...Fender electric violin and a Taylor Mini-GS. Putting in a JJ EL84 and a Groove Tubes 12AU7, on recomendation from this thread, brought the perceived volume down a little but more importantly it now it has a creamier sound rather than the output tube distortion (both stock tubes were Sovtek) causing the little 6.5" speaker to buzz too early. Plugged into a 1x12" open back Marshall cab or into a Hartke 4x10" cab it is still really loud but the distortion doesn't come on until it's almost dimed. I even like the sound of the guitar through it better with the tube change. It's now dead silent, the attenuator works better across the board, the tone control is fully functional and it handles pedals better not having all that early buzzy distortion. With the stunning VOX good looks it has at 99.00, 1/2 the price and size of the larger speaker model and head versions, this is about the perfect small amp. I have a VHT Special 6, an old Fender SF Champ (non-vibro model), Epi Valve Jr and a Vox Pathfinder (about the same volume level) this little beast is a total winner. This is definately one really good answer to apartment living and playing electric guitar. I'd have passed on this outstanding little amp and given her one of my Epi's if not for this thread...this will work heads hands and feet better for her.

8. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Hello boys and girls. I love my AC4-TV 10" so much for what it does do that I have to have it. So after some experimentation I've wound up running it along with a Peavey Bandit 75 to handle what it doesn't do, and discovered the joys of the two amp setup.

Overdrive pedals? We don't need no stinkin' pedals:twisted::)

9. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Well, I am new here, and I'd like to say that I couldnt be happoer with my new (used) AC4TV. I traded a Strat body for it, and proptly went out and got rid of my Peavey Studio Pro to free up some cash. This little amp is PERFEVT for my needs. I have yet to read through all 15 pages of this thread... but i will. Anyway, that's all. I could use a recomendation on an inexpensive reverb pedal or delay pedal, but the sound is great as it. I think mine is the 8" version.

10. vincent

vincent Tele-Holic

I bought mine just to use around the house. Mine is the 8" as well. I picked up a Danelectro Corned beef Reverb pedal of ebay for 20 bucks. It works good for this little amp if you use it sparingly.

11. Frogeybeag

Frogeybeag TDPRI Member

I've had mine for a couple of months now and I LOVE it! In fact, one of my mates prefers it to his Fender Deluxe. He can't believe the tone it generates. Nor can I! I use it miked through our church PA system and for a laugh tried it after the service through a 4x12 cab to show the minister what it could do. Nearly blew the freaking windows out of the church...

12. mattyj

mattyj Tele-Meister

For Christmas, I got a byoc Fet Preamp (a clone of the Boss FA-1), and it really works with the AC4 nicely. Provides some good EQ control that the amp pretty much lacks, and gives it the appearance of being cleaner and louder.

Also, the AC4 12" cab sounds kind of dark; the FA-1 clone gives it some nice sparkle and chime.

13. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I'm in. Got one yesterday and I've got a few amps (SF/BF PR, MM 112 50RD, PJ, Pignose, etc.) and this little Vox is actually quite amazing. Mines the 10" speaker. I dig it with a Tele.

14. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

This amp has AC filaments and that's what the low level hum is from. Its normal. HiFi nuts even claim the AC filaments sound better.

15. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

I was fortunate enough to find one of these in the used section on MF! Scored a sweet deal and it will be here soon.

16. stasz

stasz TDPRI Member

Hey all, another proud owner of the 10" combo AC4TV here. Glad to see that so many forum members have picked up on how great this amp is. It might be made of particle board, and it might not have the most headroom, but it is a tone monster.

Also it should be noted: I saw St Vincent at the Metro in Chicago (~1000-person theater w/ a balcony), and the opening act, Cate LaBon, sang and played guitar thru none other than the AC4TV8 - yup, the 8" version! She set it for a slightly dirty tone and mic'd it up thru the PA, and it was LOUD! Even if she had had a drummer, there would have been no problem with balance, I'm sure the amp would have been heard fine. Besides, don't sound guys like small amps that are easy to tame? Just my experience, although every band and venue is different.

17. mpfef

mpfef TDPRI Member

About to join this club...just scored an AC4TVH off TGP for $120 shipped. Can't wait for that little guy to show up this week.

18. MickYoung

MickYoung NEW MEMBER!

Hi guys,

I need to apologize to start with. I'm about to do a legendary net-kook thing: start posting without reading **** from the forum. Then demanding answers to ignorant questions.

I apologize in advance. I think most of you will understand the situatin.

I got a AC4 combo with a 10" about a year ago. Love it. Obligatory Tele content: I play a Japanese Squier Tele from maybe 1992 through it. OK instrument, plays nice, probably could use a pickup and control upgrade.

The AC-4 tone stopped working. I took it to my local guitar store.

Waiting for the estimate, I just happened to run into this thread on this forum - I've never been on the forum before, I found it by GoOgLing "AC-4".

I have piles of great 8 ohm speaker cabs around my place. Lots fo them.

So I ran into the Snorkelmonkey's great ideas about mods for taking an 8 ohm speaker in the AC-4 without blowing it up. I'm very interested in upgrading the resistors in the attenuator.

I want to convey this to the store and the technician who currently has the amp.

But it's difficult.

First I'm an idiot.

(Hey. I know I'm not alone.)

I'm not sure how to describe what needs to be done to make the attenuator circuit safe for 8 ohm work.

I need to get it simple enough that I can explain it on the phone (or maybe, if I'm lucky, and whine to the guy on the phone first, by email).

Then the person I'm talking to, is not the amp guy. It's a sales guy in the shop.

I guessing that I have to describe the improvement I want without saying "...so I can run it at 8 ohms."

Imagined dialog.

Sales 'Droid to Techie (1 week later): He wants to run it at 8 ohms. Says all it needs is other resistors. Got the idea from the interweebs.

Techie: WTF is he talkng about? He's an idiot. (true enough) Doesn't know what he's talking about. (got me pegged). Specs call for 16 ohms.

Sales 'Droid gets back to me two weeks later.

Maybe if we go through 3 or 4 rounds, it could get done.

Maybe not.

So, I mght make it really clear.

1) Put a screen resistor on the output tube. I'm guessing the tech will understand that? But should I give him a value to use? Just say, "Whatever..." ?

2) "Upgrade the attenuator resistors."
    a) Does this mean keep the same resistance values and double (? quadruple?) the power handling? From what value to what value? Would a typical tech know which resistors I'm talking about or should I be able to say what resistors? How amny resistors am I talking about here?

Any help I can get here would be wonderful.

I've seen that there are other threads taht talk about his, but the information is pretty diffuse, and designed for someone who knows **** to read. I can't seem to read it and get the instructions that (I think) I need.

Of course, I might be wrong. It might be the tech would know exactly what I mean with even the bare inarticulate mumbling from me, transmitted by Mr "Buy! Now!"

So I'm here whining "But I need to get the answers NOW, ma-an." (shrug) Sorry 'bout that.

Any other suggestions? I mean, while I'm shelling out for someone else to mess with my chassis? I'm thinking about switching to 12AT7 and maybe a better EL84? Anthing else?

Thank you in advance for any help I get!

Mick

19. taxer

taxer Banned

I hope to be joining you AC4TV owners soon. VOX people have told me to expect the blue AC4 in the US sometime in March/April.
    I will buy one immediately.

[​IMG]

20. theGecko71

theGecko71 Tele-Holic

Wow, what features does that one have? I see FOUR knobs!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.