Vox AC4HW1 speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tgftele, Jun 14, 2015.

1. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Hey All,

Just got the AC4HW1, hand wired 112, 16 ohm. It's part of my rig along with a Quilter Aviator 8. Both just great amps!

I've not liked Greenbacks ever, this one is no exception. I'm also not keen on the usual suspects, Blue, alnicos, other GB clones, etc.

Anyone who has put the AC4HW1 through its paces will know what I mean when I say it is bright and is really lacking bass, and the bass is trashy too with the GB. I know they break in but still not going to do it for me.

I need a speaker that gives me some fatter bass, is punchy, still retains some of the "chime", and is more efficient, ie 100-103 db. Any ideas?

BTW it's a sweet amp so keeping for sure, just want to tweak it. The tube change helped too. I'm not as concerned about getting a classic Vox sound per se, just want it to be a Voxy, strong tube sound, if that makes sense. Thanks for chiming in!

2. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Not too sure i have any useful suggestions here - i know the Weber range has quite a strong fan club amongst those players who prefer something a bit different from the usual Celestion type range. It's maybe worth a look just to get you going in your search.

3. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

Eminence Swamp Thang.

4. TWork

TWork TDPRI Member

I'd look into an Alnico speaker. I put a weber in my AC4HW. Adding a touch of reverb will help thicken up the sound as well.

5. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.