Vox AC4C1 or AC15C1

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by lwaun, Dec 28, 2013.

1. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Well for 2 months now I have been putting money into getting a new tube amp. Up to now I have just had a Fender Mustang amp which is okay but I really miss having a real tube amp. I had after 2 weeks of trying several out I found I liked the Vox AC15C1 the most for the money. However I live in an apartment so turning it up loud is not gonna happen expect when I am at a jam session.

Due to this I decided I must try out the AC4C1 as it is much smaller and should work really well as a bedroom volume amp. But I had to order one and it took 6 weeks to get it but it finally arrived yesterday.

So today I went and tried it. I had read threads about it on this website and plenty of others and the biggest complaint is there is no bass to it. Also for me it lacks reverb so that is an extra $100 dollars expense to get a reverb pedal.

Well alas the forums where right there is next to no bass tone on the AC4. In fact I didn't find it all that impressive. It had a gritty tone and wasn't all that musical or pleasing in tone to my ears. I decided I must try out the AC15 in comparison and check to see if I can get good bedroom volume from the the ac15.

Well I was totally amazed that I found it did come down in volume no problem and it sounded way better tone wise than the AC4 at a comparable volume. This is using the normal channel which I like for it's pure simplicity. And once I turned on the reverb on the AC15 I was in heaven. It just sounds so much better than the AC4 that there is no question which one I will be getting. And the fact that the AC15 also has the top boost channel and tremolo just is the icing on the cake.

The AC15 all the way.

Also for 10 dollars more my dealer is throwing in a vox cover for a ac15 amp and the vox footswitch from a AC15cc1 that melted down and no longer needs a footswitch. We tried out that footswitch with the ac15c1 and it worked perfectly. It is the deal of the decade for me.

My AC15 however is one of the limited edition crème coloured ac15's which has the more expensive creamback speaker in it but the amp sells for the same price.

Anyways I am bringing it home Tuesday so News Years Eve I will have something to do that night.

Here is a pic of my new amp.

[​IMG]

AAT65 likes this.
  2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

ac4 is good but gimmicky, my son had one for a while but it's a real one trick pony tonewise, you either like it or you don't, not for me. You did the right thing, ac15 for the extra bucks is a much better deal all round.

3. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Yup there is no comparison tone wise. The AC4 just really looks cute. That is my biggest thought about it. I felt almost guilty that I rejected such a cute little amp.

But since I will only be having one amp for the foreseeable future I went with the best. Feels good actually....:D

4. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

Congrats that is a nice amp man, I'm interested how this will sound with the creamback!

5. Phil_tre

Phil_tre Tele-Holic

I love the color... congrats !!

- I never had a AC15 but I have a AC4 that I modded
    for more bass. A trick for the AC4 to get "good" bass is to put it on
    4 watts, crank it to max and adjust the volume on the guitar... This
    is the way this amp works if you want bass, but you could also change
    a cap or two like I did...

Anyway, your AC15 is really nice and you got a speaker "upgrade" too...
    Creamback equal Greenback with more bass and power handling ??

Phil.

6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the AC15! I had one and it was a great amp. If you enjoy it at home volumes, just wait until you get a chance to crank the master to at least noon!

Sounds like you had the AC4TV, not the AC4C1 the OP was referring to. There is no "4 watt" setting, it's a MV amp.

7. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up my second AC15C1 today, one of the red limited edition ones. Sounds awesome. Love the 15, i also have the AC30CC2, but it is a lot of amp to haul around.

8. Phil_tre

Phil_tre Tele-Holic

oups :oops:

9. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

No biggie, just 2 different amps, albeit with similar enough names to cause frequent confusion.

10. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

The ac30 weighs 70 pounds. I would never haul that. I live on the third floor and there is no elevator in this building. Carrying the 50 pound ac15 was enough for me.

11. Tele-EL84

Tele-EL84 TDPRI Member

The AC15 is the premier amp as far as I am concerned. They are very hard to beat in terms of pure tone. Most settings don't really need more volume than what these can push out and they are just a great all around amp. A couple years ago, I was able to get a 50th Anniversary AC15 hand-wired head w/matching cab containing a Celestion blue in dead mint condition. It is the best tone I have ever had. I had previously been a Fender guy and this amp just smoked anything I had ever had. Congrats on the amp and I love the color.

12. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Well after having this amp home for a week all I can say is I no longer have any gas for amps. I get really fantastic tones playing this with my American Standard telecaster. I have mostly used the normal channel and love the amp on clean tones I can get. I even enjoy it dry with no reverb but I do like the reverb on this amp. I am not so hot for the tremolo but that is just my personnel taste.

What I can't believe about this amp is how good it sounds when I overdrive it. That is why I bought this amp. I was originally getting a Marshall Amp but when I tried this amp at the store compared to the Marshall it sounded so good and the Marshall amp sounded so harsh.

I never thought I would own or love a Vox but I do. The overdrive on the normal channel is to die for. So no reason to ever use pedals with this amp.

And the top boost channel is just waiting for me in the future to try it out too.

All in all the best amp purchase I have made in years.

And I am able to play this thing no problem at bedroom tones.

13. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Just to update this thread 10 days after writing this thread I fell down while getting on transit. I shattered my right elbow. I couldn’t work for 4 months and the arm is permanently crippled. I can still play guitar but I can’t lift heavy amps. The AC15HW1 is long gone as it was to heavy. But I have lighter amps now and my main practice amp is the very light ac4c1 no. So in the end I do have one.

14. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

15. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

So sorry to hear about your injury!

How do you like the AC4 tone wise?

16. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Couldn't agree more. To my ears, no other amp dances across the clean-to-crunch-to-clean transition more beautifully than a Vox.

lwaun likes this.
  17. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

I was happy I can play it in apartment. It sounds a little gritty, but at least I can overdrive it without waking neighbours. I plan to order a Celestion G10N-40. Not going to change tubes.

18. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Yes and it doesn’t disturb the neighbors!

19. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I re-read your original post and you mentioned a lack of bass with the AC4C1. I think a major contributor to this problem is that Vox put a bright cap on the master volume, so at lower volumes it bleeds treble past the volume control. The Cap is C20 and with it removed, you get a consistent tone throughout the volume sweep. I think the mixture of a telecaster and an AC4C1 at low volumes would sound quite anemic.

I'm sure a speaker change would make it better, but taking out a cap is a no-cost solution if you or someone you know is comfortable doing it.

20. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Yup I have seen pics of where to find the c20 cap. Is on list of future projects.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.