1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox AC15HW1x vs Vox AC15H1TV - my take!

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by philthejuggler, Nov 7, 2017.

1. philthejuggler

philthejuggler TDPRI Member

Hi all

As discussed in another thread - I bought an AC15H1TV which is a 50th Anniversary re-issue of a combination of two classic Vox Amp circuits - notably the EF86 on the 'normal' channel.

The amp has a fair amount of 50 & 100 cycle hum due to it's heritage design - I checked it with its designer and was told it was normal - they all do that! I decided that for my quiet late-night practice, the lack of master volume and relatively high noise to signal ratio meant it wasn't ideal for me. It is currently up for sale.

Anyhow, I was going to wait until it sold before I bought an AC15HW1x in its place, but one came up on eBay at an unbeatable price so I decided to buy.

This means I currently have both amps so I decided to do a quick head to head!

I'm not a particularly accomplished guitar player, but I'll share my thoughts in case anyone was interested in both and finds this helpful!

Firstly bear in mind the anniversary speaker is broken in and the other is not.

Both are silly loud. I couldn't cope with more than half volume in my living room on either. Both have fantastic clean, slightly dirty and overdriven tones.

On clean it is difficult to separate them, perhaps a tad more transparent on the anniversary and a little more bass on 1x.

Dirty - definitely prefer the break-up on the anniversary - sounds incredible, especially on the EF86 channel! The 1x again has a little more depth but at this point quite a bit less character to my ears.

Both are utterly superb - playing in a band, I'd go for the Anniversary probably, for home use the background hum on the Anniversary and lack of master volume swings it for the 1x.

Note - my anniversary has an attenuator fitted and this does reduce the volume needed to drive it as well reducing the hum significantly.

Hope this helps someone - I'm actually tempted to keep them both, although I don't really need two handwired Vox amps!

Phil

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Richie-string likes this.
  2. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the comparison, Phil.

I'm lovin' my AC15-HW1.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing through the Anniversary edition, or anything with an EF86 in the preamp circuit, for that matter. Maybe someday...

But, honestly, I'm digging my HW1 so much, I don't see replacing it with anything, at this point. It's just the perfect amp for our classic rock band.
    I don't even see changing out the stock Greenback that it came with.

FWIW, the Master Volume on my HW1 lives in "Bypass" mode. And I'm always in the "Top Boost" channel (with the "Cool" switch set).
    Plug a Cabronita into it and I'm gone. :cool:

3. philthejuggler

philthejuggler TDPRI Member

They are such good amps. I had a greenback in my AC15C1 and whilst I liked the sound it didn't quite have the chimey cleans I love from the alnico units, but it did have a lovely growling drive tone.

I've seen Brian May's AC30's being built - he uses a combo of a blue and another celestion drive unit similar to the green but with higher power handling. Best of both worlds!

4. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I have considered maybe getting an Emi Red Fang for my Vox.

I have the 8-ohm version in my Mission 5E3 and I love the speaker. I could see it doing well in the AC15.
    Then again, my AC15 sits so well in our band mix, I'm really hesitant to change anything - other than tubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.