1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox AC15HW1X vs Fender Princeton Reverb with Cannabis Rex

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bajaboy, Aug 24, 2017.

1. bajaboy

bajaboy NEW MEMBER!

I'm in looking for a low wattage tube amp and I've narrowed it down to Handwired Vox AC15 and the Fender Princeton Reverb with a 12 inch Cannabis Rex speaker on Sweetwater. I mostly play at home but there's always the possibility that I might gig later on. I want an versatile amp that sounds good clean, takes pedals reasonably well, and will last a long time. I plan on playing jazz and blues but also stuff like Radiohead, Queens of the Stone age, Pixes, Fugazi, and King Crimson. I'll be using a lot of fuzz pedals and effects. A Marshall Silver Jubilee RI is also a possibility but I'm not too sure yet.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Big tuna likes this.
  2. cletus

cletus Tele-Holic

For the style of music you could easily use the AC15 but if your going to use a lot of pedals the Fender is a better choice. The Vox AC15 is real picky about pedals. I own 2 AC 15C1's and an AC10C1. YMMV.

Good luck.

bajaboy and Big tuna like this.
  3. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Both would be great amps to own. I used to think low watts was 12-15. I have a 65'PRRI with a 12'' speaker and an AC10 c1. I play 2 mid 70's champ and vibro champs 80% of the time. Old age i guess. Good luck on the pick there are a lot of good tube amps out now.

4. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I vote Princeton with Cannabis Rex. Heck, I'd love to own that exact amp! I imagine it would sound amazing live, with the amp mic-ed up.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Wow. 3 more different amps you could hardly find. EL84, 6V6, EL34.

All of them are too big for bedroom amps unless you live alone in a soundproof bunker. Even though the Vox and Marshall both have half/low power settings they don't sound good until you're way past late night noodling volume.

I've owned a SFPR with 10" alnico speaker. Great amp for Trad country, blues, rock-pop. Lower volume than the others. Not terrible at pedals but not so good with distortion. Great clean, great reverb and tremolo.

Never owned Vox but I did have Mesa Transatlantic 15, then 30 with Vox Topboost channels. Similar to AC15s overall. These don't have that much bass in 15 watt mode. Lots of lovely jangle. Again distortion is not that well accepted. Fairly loud. The clean always has something going on. Through the Cel Blue it screams, not a lot of clean headroom or bass. Great indie/punk - not so sure about rock or blues.

I sold the PR and all my Mesas. I now have the 2525c Mini Jubilee. It's more like a 1.5 channel or 1.75 channel amp similar to the Vox. Too loud even in the '5watt' setting for home use. You can get nice tones at low volume if you did discipline yourself.

Up loud it kills the PR, and would equal the Vox with more bass. Pegged, you can use bass and mid past 5 with no farting. The lead channel definitely kicks everything up a notch. I was prepared not to like the crunch (clipping diodes) but I use it a lot. Wish it was footswitchable.

Like the Vox there's no pristine clean. There's always overtones and harmonics, but they're nice. It loves pedals, loves drive and distortion.

I think because of EL34s, even cathode biased it's got amazing grunt, and kills my bandmate's HRD single 12 40 watter.

Very sensitive to eq, it's very responsive and you can 'feel' the amp through the strings. I'm loving it after a month. Plus not many people have twigged yet. Yes, if you like Frusciante or Slash tone (I don't especially) it's there as well as Accadacca and host of other Marshall devotees. Loved my Strat and Tele. I don't know if Strummer used Marshalls but I can get a great 'London Calling' bite. Surprisingly, it sounds great with no 'verb clean - it's almost like there's a second amp in stereo. Apparently the Jubilee preamp can channel-bleed, almost like jumpered channel inputs. Don't know if that's what it is but there's this ghosty shimmer all the time. Love it. Yes, you can 'eleven' everything for your Spinal Tap moment. I did it once for s'n'grins.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    bajaboy likes this.
  6. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

AC15c1 has a master volume, sounds great at living room and gig volumes, is dirt cheap, is certainly durable enough for your purposes, plus has trem & verb. I do love mine. Did I mention cheap?

hrstrat57 likes this.
  7. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

If you get an AC15 don't wreck that beautiful sound with pedals. Maybe some wah or delay. You can just sit there in front of it for hours listening to it. Then you can turn it on and it's even better.

RLee77 likes this.
  8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

9. bajaboy

bajaboy NEW MEMBER!

I ended up going with the Princeton, mainly because needed a clean pedal platform and that seemed to be the better of the two for that type of thing. I'm also hoping that vox makes an ac10hw somewhere in the near future, that would perfect for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.