Vox ac15c1 v others?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by d_byrne23, Oct 12, 2013.

1. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

Hey guys I have had my eye on a nice new tube combo for a while and I have been leaning on a vox ac15c1 as the best bet.

I have been out of the loop on amps for quite some time I was wondering is there any competitors in the price range that may give me a better bargain or is the vox the right choice?

I play a wide variety of styles from clean to a kings of leon type rock tone. I do still dabble in some higher gain tones but I think I could throw a pedal in front of the amp for those rare times etc. I do not currently gig but it is my goal down the line to find a band for occasional jams or gigs. Thanks guys

2. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

The Vox AC15C1 is my primary amp and I play rock, blues, church praise. I don't know about certain amps being a better bargain. I've had many amps; Orange, Fender, Traynor, Mesa, and have been pleased with each of them because I buy them based on what they do, not how they compare to others. I bought the Vox because I wanted the Vox sound. If you want the Fender sound then the Vox will not be a bargain.

3. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

Most of my artists that I listen to use vox products especially when I saw kings of leon first start out caleb was using an ac15. I am sure it is not the same stock ac15 I would buy off of a shelf, however I am assuming it would be close. I also like the fact it is 15 watts...

Do they take pedals well too? Like I said I was thinking of purchasing something for when I give some people lessons and they use higher gain tones etc. Thank you

4. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

If you use the normal channel on the Vox AC15C1 you can come very close to a Fender sound. I think it's a great amp as it's really loud for 15 watts, it does Vox, it comes close to Fender and thus provides a lot of versatility especially if you get a channel footswitch.

5. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

I think Vox amps take pedals well, to answer your question. The amp on its own gets pretty dirty too. Very good amps in my opinion.

6. FistFullOfSteel

FistFullOfSteel TDPRI Member

I think much of it also has to do with the guitar you will be running through it.........

Lemme preface this by saying I have a Tubemeister 18 combo, a Blues JR III, a 59 Bassman RI, an AC4 Combo and the AC15

The Bassman is my favorite, although a bit impractical to use when volume is a concern.....

If I could only have one amp, it would be the AC15...........IMO, it has the best range of tone - with or without pedals.............

image-4062809993.png

"Music is my Religion" ~ Jimi Hendrix

7. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

The AC15C1 is a great amp for the price but they can be picky regarding dirt pedals, so you've gotta watch out for that. The older CC1's were better in some ways like the inclusion of a tube rectifier and birch ply cab, but changing tubes on those are a PITA. Another good amp to consider would be the Laney VC series and the Egnater Tweaker.

8. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

I will be running my james burton tele through it for softer stuff and anything more aggressive will be my esp phoenix II. I think I will give it a try...laneys are incredibly hard to find in my area and if I order online I will get killed with import fees. I had a blues junior years ago (not the III) and I had a very bad experience. I think I will give the vox a go and take my chances...cheers everyone for the help

9. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

The Vox AC15C1 is pretty hard to beat in my opinion (assuming you don't want to sound like a Fender).

10. FistFullOfSteel

FistFullOfSteel TDPRI Member

+1

"Music is my Religion" ~ Jimi Hendrix

11. Coldacre

Coldacre Tele-Meister

the AC15CC1 didn't have a tube rectifier. it also had plastic switches, a Wharfdale speaker, no cut control and no normal channel; they are pretty much the runt of the litter. the C1 is an improvement in every way.

12. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

I had one, loved it. The only reason i traded it was for an Ac30cc2 straight up. Id get another ac15 if i had the chance.

13. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

The AC15CC1 also had an MDF cabinet, like the tube rectifier, the birch ply cab only came on the 30.

I agree the AC15C1 is a significant leap forward from the CC1.

14. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all of the help and comments.

I am about to pull the trigger however there is a used amp i came across locally...my question is when buying a used tube combo what are some things I should look for to make sure it is in good working order? Bit paranoid but i think its just a good deal..

15. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I've had a AC15cc and a C1 and they are quite good amps, but I felt both of them got a bit mushy and lost on stage with a band- even miked up. I went back to my old warhorse Laney VC30 112 with a similar foot print and I find it much better and seems to have more presence- being a 30watter just gives it a little extra..an underratted amp.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The AC15C1 is a decent amp stock. With a few tweaks, it'll hang with any Vox voiced competition up to three or four times its price.

If you are gonna play it in a band, or use dirt pedals, do the bright mod. It's a subtle, but VERY worthwhile improvement. Next, ditch the stock tubes. They are absolute garbage. You won't know what this amp sounds like until you get some decent glass in it. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg. I use GT #7 powr tubes in mine and its a huge improvement, like night and day. I used their 12ax7's with great results as well. Currently, I'm running a trio of 50's long plate RCA 12AX7'S, and they (along with decent power tubes and the bright mod) turned this amp into a cheap Chinese amp that will easily hang with the boutique boys. Easily. I never would have spent the money those tubes cost. I got them for free out of an organ I salvaged from a trash pile. But I'm sure glad I have them. This amp LOVES them.

Edited to ad- this amp loves my Tele, it absolutely adores P90's, and does well with humbuckers. No matter what I do with it, it always, and I mean always sounds crappy with a strat. Have no idea why, they just don't get along.

17. barfoden

barfoden Tele-Meister

I hear you... A cathode biased pair of EL84 can only do so much (~15 watt clean), and with their small plates the bass end is limited.
    A quad of EL84 has enough for a large stage volume and you can get some bass if the output transformer is not too small. My Laney LC30 with a G12H and 30 cathode biased watts has always been loud enough for any gig..

18. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

My lucky day! I took out money for a brand new ac15 today and was ready to go buy one however before hand I went on kijiji and found a local selling an Egnater Tweaker 15...

Long story short it was in perfect condition with minimal use on the tubes and I walked away with a like new amp and 350 to spare cash wise as he was only asking 300!

I am thrilled with my purchase it seems like a lot of amp for the money..as always thanks for the recommendations guys!!

19. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

I have to agree with you that the Vox has the best range of tones. I going down to just one amp and I have chosen the Vox AC15. Sad as I never thought I would choose Vox over Marshall but I just don't find the Marshall sound as nice as the Vox tone anymore. My how one changes.

20. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Just picked up my 2nd AC15c1, limited edition red. Sounds fantastic! What a great souding amp, not too heavy, very portable and gig worthy, also great tones for just playing at home. I will not be letting go of this one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.