1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox ac15c1 issue

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Msudad, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Msudad

Msudad TDPRI Member

Hello! I am new to the forum and had a question that I can’t seem to find an answer to searching forums. I have a vox ac15c1 that occasionally stops working, no tube glow at all. When it first happened I checked all the fuses (out of the amp with a multimeter, all checked out) and after I put the last one in again (ht one) and tried the amp again, it worked perfectly again. The second time I just took out the ht fuse again, squished the fuse prongs together some, plopped it back in, and worked again. Happened twice today again, same solution l. Pushed with a popsicle stick near and around the fuse to see if there was maybe a bad solder and couldn’t get the amp to repeat the behavior. Does anyone have an idea? Could the fuse be failing but not all the way yet? No other issues. Before I take it to a tech figured I’d see if your collective wisdom had encountered the issue before.

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

A fuse does not halfway fail. It’s meant to fail completely to protect the rest of circuit in the event of a ground fault, current surge, etc... I’d venture to say the fuse has nothing to do with whatever is going on.

Could be any of several scenarios. Best to take it to a tech.

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Welcome, Msudad. And yes, tech time. Hopefully it's just a simple thing, but you don't want risk damaging your amp/it damaging itself. That's a pretty big warning sign flashing there.

Best of luck on this, and post again about what it turns out to be.

Great amp, by the way. I love mine, though that stiff speaker took a while to really break in.

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

This. Don't try to Jimmy-Rig it.

5. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Try new tubes

6. Msudad

Msudad TDPRI Member

Thanks, I will report back when I figure it out.

7. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like something is changing/expanding once it warms up. You're shutting off the amp so it cools and then works again until it heats up. I'm anxious to hear what the problem is.

8. Zacateca

Zacateca TDPRI Member

I had a similar issue, took it to a tech and it only was a loose connector inside.

9. Msudad

Msudad TDPRI Member

Do you know where the loose connection was?

10. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Take it to a tech my friend, there's a reason why many are recommending this. Keep us posted, thx.

GDR

11. Zacateca

Zacateca TDPRI Member

No, unfortunately I don't.

12. Msudad

Msudad TDPRI Member

Returned it within the 45 days at GC. The only tech I could find near me guesstimated $150-200. Got an egnater tweaker 15 used and loving it. Still miss the ac15, next amp...when I can convince my wife I need another that is.

13. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

I didn't realize this was anew amp. You could have exchanged it for another AC15 but if you're happy with the Tweaker then so be it. Welcome to the forum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.