1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox ac15c1 brightness

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tele-nova, Nov 19, 2020.

1. tele-nova

tele-nova TDPRI Member

I think I have been running my ac15 too bright...For years.

Last night I was using it after a bit of a honeymoon with my marshall origin and I couldn't get over how noisy it was. Like pretty high noise floor, lots of hiss.

It has been bugging me all day today. I felt like something was wrong with it. So when I got home after work I fired her up and got to tweaking.

I noticed the normal channel had a lot less noise than the top boost channel. I like both channels but lean towards the top boost for the added eq section. I ended up cutting the treble way back and turning the tone cut a little darker than I normally do. Initially i was hesitant to mess with my tone.

However, not only does the amp have a better, warmer sound now, but the noise floor is vastly reduced. I can't believe it took me so long to realize how bright my tone was. Literally years.

Got to thinking, and I know how you dial in your amp is relative to the room you are in, but I just wondered how you other ac15 owners run your amp? Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

i don't have an AC-15, but i play a lot of quiet music, or with acoustic musicians. the first thing i do is knock the treble down on any amp to where i can't hear the hiss at idle. then i bump it up as necessary for the guitar, nothing more.

tele-nova likes this.
  3. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I don't think I've ever played with the treble control past 12 o'clock, regardless of the amp.

3-Chord-Genius and 19sixty3 like this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The top boosr channel has an extra pair gain stages - so yes, it's more gainy and more noisy. It's like having a Tube screamer in front of a conventional amp turned on at low level.

tele-nova likes this.
  5. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

When I got my AC15c1, I used the TB channel exclusively. Perhaps, that's why it took me years to appreciate the Tone Cut knob. I never understood why anyone would use the Tone Cut at all. It seemed to me like you're putting a blanket over the amp.

Then, I moved to the Normal channel (a couple of years ago), and I started to appreciate how dialing in the Tone Cut accordingly can make a huge difference (also in terms of background hiss). These days, my starting point for the Tone Cut is around 12noon, but I will adjust depending on room/ears/mood etc.

tele-nova likes this.
  6. tele-nova

tele-nova TDPRI Member

I cut the treble back from about 1 o clock to 9. And moved the tone cut from noon to 3. I thought it would be so dark but I'm in awe of how much better it sounds. Im in disbelief. Definitely fell in love with my vox all over again!

7. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I had mine at unity, (12:00), but I used an A/B/Y box, and used to run normal and top boost channels at the same time. It gave me a chimey, and fat quality to my tone!

muscmp likes this.
  8. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

If you aren't pointing the speaker sort of at your ears, your aren't hearing how perhaps painfully bright your sound actually is. Get it on a stand or up on a chair and then adjust your tone.

9. tele-nova

tele-nova TDPRI Member

It just amazes me that after owning it for 5 years, im just now learning how to really dial it in. I was using it in a stereo set up for a long time so maybe that had something to do with it.

The learning never stops

10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

With any Vox amp the way to do it is turn your tone stack right down...thats the first thing...they dont behave like any other amp...set the tone cut at 12 o clock...run the amp hot...master volume up...channel gain to suit and build your tone up not down...they can run away from you if you let them...control your stage volume with your guitars controls...otherwise a vox is an unforgiving beast....wind them right off ..vol and tone...if you dial channel vol now your ears are safe...for now
    i run mine flat out.on master and channel vol..yet can take it clean and a whisper to blizzard of nails on guitar only like that...bring your guitar volume and tone up a bit and start setting tone stack...you might find you wont even need to...your guitars tone knob might be enough...but these things...all of them work best from that angle...run them hot and you will notice the sound thicken as you wind on your guitar volume...give all that a go...ive used vox amps for years...my AC30VR im using at the mo...modded a bit...sounds far superior to my fender twin...and its just as loud if i want...yet its sensitive enough to go to a clean whisper...nice for jazz...without using effects or touching the amp
    they were designed by a guitarist...not a boffin

11. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I've had mine since 2008... I'm still not convinced I have totally figured it out. Don't feel bad! :D

Coloradotwanger and tele-nova like this.
  12. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have had mine for about three years now.I for sure don't have it figured out!

Seasicksailor likes this.
  13. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Tone cut at noon to start. Dime the master volume then turn up the channel volume until someone complains, then turn it up one more notch, unless the person complaining is the person paying you.

14. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Yep. I use the normal channel exclusively now and roll the tone cut down (counter clockwise) until the shrillness disappears and the tone thickens up. I also recently started using an amp stand, which allows me to roll even more treble off since it doesn't have that boominess from coupling with the floor anymore.

15. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Rediscovering the top boost with my tele.

Got the bass turned way up playing on neck pickup and tone on guitar rolled all the way up. Actually It's kinda fender territory. Been playing my Princeton a lot for a while before now.

These settings have a certain something. Not too loud, and clean, but full and fat.
    IMG_20201119_201404415.jpg

Wulf and Coloradotwanger like this.
  16. tele-nova

tele-nova TDPRI Member

Just curious about the tone cut. All the way to the right cuts high frequencies and left cuts low, right?

17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I used an AC15 as my main amp for a while. I liked it. But eventually sold it and got a Deluxe Reverb, which is better and easier to work with.

18. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

All the way to the right is full treble. As you turn it to the left it cuts the treble.

19. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I find it useful to often turn everything to zero when I turn the amp off, and rebuild again next time. Sometimes I'll choose one control, set it to something arbitrary to start, and then rebuild around that. etc.

Amps drift, our ears drift, tastes change, etc. I find this helps me to stay fresh, to some degree.

Although not as frequently, I do the same with pedals too, particularly anything that delays or modulates.

Pax/
    Dean

20. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I've owned 2 different AC15C1 amps over time. The first one was in racing green color and got foobarred into a family squabble and lost.

The second one I "just had to have" years later, I was thinking I was replacing an amp lost to stupid family stuff, so I bit. This one was even cooler, it was in elegant purple.

For a while when I first got the second one, I thought "oh my god, there is way way too much treble"... then I realized there was an EQ knob cranked on my Diamond CP-1 Compressor. I turned the EQ on the compressor back to unity, yet the amp still made way too much treble for my liking.

No matter what guitar I plugged in, and even with the treble dialed way back... too much treble.

I finally came to the conclusion that this was not the amp for me if you couldn't control all that treble tone.

So I sold it.

And I decided whole heartedly Vox amps aren't for me or my ears.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.