1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox AC15 vs lower back pain

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by reflected, Aug 14, 2018.

1. reflected

reflected Tele-Meister

Hi All,

I've been suffering from lower back pain, and it's getting worse. Now I can't lift heavy stuff, otherwise I'll be sc*wed for months. I had an MRI, no hernia, but the disks are in a bad shape and the muscles always cramp to hold everything in place.

This inability to lift affects my favorite Vox AC15. I replaced my AC30 because the 15 is loud enough and weighs less, but I just can't lift and carry it in anything but an unnatural position. I really hate asking others to help me. Is there any advice you have for me? Perhaps a way to make it possible for 2 to carry it?

Perhaps a Vox AC10? It's much lighter, but I would miss the tremolo effect and possibly the volume. I play surf/ beat music with a lot of reverb, and a clean sparkly, jangly sound.

Thanks!

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  2. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I suffer from degenerative disc disease in my neck, so I feel your pain. I always consider weight when I buy an amp to play out. I use a 68 princeton reverb custom . I know its a different tube platform , but both the 68 princeton custom and the 65 are both 31 lbs with tube tremolo and tube reverb. You can even get them with a 12 inch speaker or a 10 inch.

Evil Funk and Fiesta Red like this.
  3. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

AC15 head and cab. Just the head costs almost as much as the combo though. Never understood that.

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Option 1 is go to your local hardware shop and buy some sturdy folding handles like you'd use for a chest and screw them to the sides of the amp.
    Option 2 is buy a pair of suitable top handles. There's usually a good selection on Ebay for example.

Both 1+2 also make carrying it yourself easier

Option 3 is convince someone else to cart it around or make a trolley for it/mount castors.
    Option 4 Orange CR60/Bandit/A.N.Other solid state with reverb.
    Option 5 Head&cab, make two journeys.
    Option 6 Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Willyguitar likes this.
  5. reflected

reflected Tele-Meister

Thanks, that makes sense. The princetons are great, but I really LOVE the sound of the AC15 (Greenback). It's THE sound for me. I'm just afraid I would give it up by switching to the AC10. When I play with the band and the amp is not mic-ed the AC15 runs at 60% volume, already breaking up a bit. I'm afraid the AC10 wouldn't cut through.

6. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

im not trying to be a smartass....but im tellin ya to lift properly.
    bend at the knees....that kind of thing.
    you know the rest

7. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Holic

Buy a trolley, or whatever you call it over there. Thing with wheels and a handle for pulling it, after you've put the amp on top. I've had back trouble for over 30 years. Even if you still need help, it'll just be to lift it out of the car, or onto a stage.

8. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

If you don't mind solid state amp you could try a Pathfinder 15, even better with a 10" speaker, it sounds so sweet.

9. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

People seem pretty fond of the Vox MV50 AC heads. I love the demos I have heard. One of those plus a light cab would probably be a decent solution. Put a neo speaker in the cab even.

fitflatpicker likes this.
  10. reflected

reflected Tele-Meister

I found a used AC10 near me, I'll go and give it a try. If it blows me away, I'll consider buying it, using it next to the AC15, then sell whichever is worse. If on the other hand it won't impress me I'll go for option 2, buy 2 extra handles and install them AC30 style. Thanks!

I've tried a Pathfinder, but it's definitely not loud enough, and I really want a tube amp.

As for lifting correctly - my back is already messed up, and there is no way to lift and carry an AC15 correctly. Your spine will be twisted/ bent sideways for sure.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Light tube amp....Fender Pro Junior.

12. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Quilter Micropro m 2. Not tube but you’d never know it and your back will love it.

DavidP likes this.
  13. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

The queens ex loyal subjects (USA) would call that a hand truck. Just so you know, a "bonnet" is a type of hat that ladies used to wear. :D

tonejam likes this.
  14. dguitar3

dguitar3 Tele-Holic

I have back problems too and also use an AC15 as my main amp. It’s a beast for a 15 watt amp! I’m thinking getting one of those fold up cart things that used to sell on musicians friend. The black and yellow ones. Good luck!

OldDude2 likes this.
  15. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The new Vox "Super Beetle".

25 [email protected], 10" speaker, reverb and tremolo.

Throw a mic on it if it's not loud enough in a band situation.

Might have to do that with the AC10 anyway.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had an AC15C1 and sold it because of the weight issue. I purchased an AC10C1 and haven't looked back. I don't miss the tremolo nor the "normal channel". I actually think the AC10C1 sounds better somehow, even with the 10" speaker. It's loud enough for use with a band. Not a great deal of pristine clean headroom, but the AC15C1 doesn't have a lot of clean headroom either.

Also, I'm intrigued by the Super Beatle idea mentioned above. From the demos I've seen, those are awesome sounding small and lightweight tube amps (and yes, NuTube is a tube).

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  18. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Get an AC10...light and easy to carry....sounds great too...easy on the back..:)

19. Besquire

Besquire Tele-Meister

I play a Vox MV50 with a Boss FRV and a Boss TR 2 in Front of it, with a light 112 Box, with a WGS Green Beret in it. Light, good sounding solution. I once had a 67 AC 30. This package comes very close.

20. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I'm curious about the AC10, never played one, might be the answer. Last gig we played was on a boat -- long story there, told elsewhere -- and I wanted to go as light as possible. Brought my Gibson GA-15, AC15 clone (or thereabouts) in a 1x10 box. Very light & powerful for its size, and will certainly jangle if you're man enough to flip the bright switch. I used a very small pedal board with an FRV-1 for reverb & a Demeter tremulator for trem & got really good sounds all night. also a distortron instead of a second channel. the downside is they haven't made these for quite a while. the upside is that the trannies would have blown by now if they were going to (they had a reputation).

same amp as the trace-elliot velocette. (velocette is actually printed on the PC board.) they seem to turn up for $4-600 from time to time. AC10 might be a better deal, seeing that it's brand-new & has a warranty & etc. that Demeter will negate the trem issue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.