Vox AC10C1 tone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dcos, Jan 26, 2018.

1. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Cheers for the insight and experience on this! I'll try and check out the THR10 asap - hopefully some stores near at hand have some in stock. If I like it in the metal, I'll keep the Vox for the rehearsal space at work and keep the small one for home!

2. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

No problem man. There are a few small amps that are great at that these days. The THR10 has been around the longest, and is the most well vetted. And nothing has surpassed its tone. But some of the others supposedly equal it’s tone but with more features. I haven’t tried any of the newer ones. Supposedly the new small Boss katana is fantastic. And the Vox adio gets good reviews. I’ve been very happy with my THR10, so I haven’t had reason to try anything else.

3. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

I'll try this, but am I correct in thinking that the tone will never break up with these se
    You could be right about my ears, I've actually been playing straight into a Digitech Trio+ band in a box, then straight into my P.A. with no guitar amp involved so the guitar tone is very different than what I've been used to. That said though, the Vox was definitely very boxy, bright and harsh when I first got it. It's warming up the more I play it and I'm learning to dial it and my guitar in. Also, you're right that it does sound better when I'm playing with the Trio backing tracks.

4. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

Had an AC10 once ... hated it ... it has no redeeming qualities IMHO.

5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hiya!

I think three really key things have been mentioned here.

First, the AC type amp tone controls are really super interactive. I'll second the use your ears, not your eyes approach. Sometimes things don't 'look' sensible, but sound great. Basically, every time I change one, I move the other around a bit too to make sure its interacting well (I have an AC4HW1). You'll really want to experiment widely and wildly with this. Try wide sweeps with each one and see how things vary, and also how in different 'combination zones' they seem to mesh really well. Also, I have no idea what you do, but many people seem to have their guitars on "10" all the time. If you aren't already, try rolling back the tone on your guitar a tad. In relation to my Vox, I do that often with my Tele, not so much with my Less Paul.

Second, as alluded to, AC type amps are often at their tonal best with the power section pushed (i.e. the "Volume" knob side), and the gain control used to set overall volume. Again, kinda counter intuitive and a bit backwards. That photo someone posted is similar to where I often end up.

Lastly, as someone said, some amps / sounds / tones, we just don't like. Nothing wrong with that, and also doesn't mean they are bad, rubbish, or anything. Just not for us.

Hope that was in some way signal, and not too much noise.

Pax/
    Dean

6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Actually, I in fact came to this thread and made my previous response while taking a break from messing around on my AC4 with my Tele. It just occurred to me, while messing around some more, that I can post the current settings I'm using. These are working for me in conjunction with my Xotic RC Booster clone, Timmy clone and the relatively strong boost my tremolo provides. Not so much if I turn them off. Which highlights I guess, the fact that so many variables are involved. Anyway, just for fun, here's the settings. I should add, it sounds flipping jolly well awesome. The mechanico-electro-magnetico bits anyway. Not so much me. Also, slightly embarrassed by the dusty panel now...

IMG_20180131_135751.jpg

Pax/
    Dean

7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

My AC4-12 ends up with volume at around 1 o'clock and gain between 11 and 1 o clock for flavour/taste per song.Bass 1.30 and treble around 11 o clock.

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The on-board preamp overdrive is sweet, but as others have mentioned, its response is greatly affected by the very interactive tone controls. Sometimes for simplicity I'll just throw an overdrive pedal like the Joyo Ultimate Drive in front of it, with the amp volume on 10 and the preamp acting as the actual volume, and be done with it. This does not change the tone of the amp (it still sounds exactly like an AC10), but does add a bit of grit which is nice.

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  9. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Well, looking through the music store sites to find a THR10, I did a very stupid thing - started reading up on the Marshall Origin amps. Built in attenuator for .5w, 5w or 20w... sounds like a plexi... gah. I have one on order for delivery next week ><

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  10. JeffinNH

JeffinNH TDPRI Member

Hi, long time drummer singer and been hacking away at guitar for a few years now. I own the amp and really like it, been using it for a little over a year and love it. It was kind of meh at first and did need a lot of break in time. Mine is as warm as I want and chimey when needed. It's a simple amp but has a lot to offer. Got mine at a steal price too so that helps. I'm 58 and ya, grew up with that tone. I'm using a few pedals from time to time. It's loud AF in my house, also..I like having gear that most people don't have, same with my drum sets and cymbals. Good luck, well I should finish reading the thread..haha

dcos likes this.
  11. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

I'm in the same boat as you, long time keyboardist/singer, retired from live playing and been learning guitar for a few years also. Glad to hear you're liking your AC10, mine is definitely sounding better the more I play it, I think I'm keeping it.

JeffinNH likes this.
  12. JeffinNH

JeffinNH TDPRI Member

Did 7 hours yesterday, yes I can barely turn it up past 2, but I love the darn thing.

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I did the CD into the input thing for like 3 work weeks (while the house was empty), helped a lot to break it in. Also played a bunch of gigs, and it is the living room amp. I’m convinced it gets better with play time..

14. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

If anyone else reads this thread, I've decided to keep the amp. Now that the speaker is breaking in it just keeps sounding better. It's warmer and not so harsh and spiky. When I first got the amp, I pretty much had the treble turned off, now I'm keeping it between 10 and 12 O'clock. You definitely have to learn to use the tone controls on the amp and guitar, they are very interactive. Some of the other suggestions from here have helped also, like maxing the Master and using Gain for volume. Thanks for all the input.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

What's funny is that on most amplifiers with the VX speakers, people replace them right away and say that the new speaker really improved their tone. With this particular amp, there are a very limited number of speakers that will fit, so most people leave the stock VX10 speaker in their amp. Then a few months later, after it's broken in, they realize what a great speaker it actually is.

dcos likes this.
  16. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

I waited a very long time and until the stock VX speaker was very well broken in. Yes, it got better but I never felt like it was a good speaker. The G10 Vintage I replaced it with is immeasurably better to my ears - even without break in it was better (and now that it is decently broken in, it is absolutely fantastic for these little Vox AC types).

LuthRavin likes this.
  17. mapesaudio

mapesaudio TDPRI Member

I see on Celestion site there is very little difference in mounting depth,(4.0 vs 4.10 in.), did the speaker go right in without any issues, I see the magnet is considerably larger and wondered if the diameter posed any clearance concerns? I have been very interested in this speaker for awhile now.
    I tried a greenback, but went back to the VX10, I'm looking for more usable headroom not earlier breakup, I've also considered the g10n-40.
    Played with NOS 5751 in V1, it seems to work for me.
    I'm very interested in your experience with the G10 vintage. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  18. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Went right in with zero fit issues. It’s a much louder speaker than the stock vx, and I think it will definitely give you more headroom. These amps can’t put enough power out to break a g10 vintage up.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

I put my AC10C1 on an amp stand for the first time today during rehearsal. Noticed an apparent loss of low-end; however, having the speaker pointed at me did uncover some nice tube saturation characteristics that I hadn't heard before. Is "spongy" the word? Not sure, but I liked it.

20. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Does your Epi have " with the size and feel of a Les Paul, it retains that distinct semi-hollowbody tone producing a full-bodied sound from the Alnico Classic Pro pickups with push/pull coil-splitting for single-coil tones". IF so.. try the single coil settings first and see If you can dial in an acceptable sound. That might be step one for you. Keep Gain low, Treble / Bass straight up, Volume to suit and 1-2 on the Reverb dial. Start without pedals or with only a DRIVE type pedal ( like a BOSS BD-2) between your guitar and the amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.