Vox AC10C1 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Sep 28, 2015.

1. haynannu

haynannu NEW MEMBER!

Just bought a tan AC10 - couldn't resist, however,,
    Bow down before the FENDER VAPORIZER. 2xEL84, 2x10, spring reverb and a cheaper price tag. Discontinued (proof in my book it was too cool for school) - but you can still find one...ALL PLYWOOD Construction, nice sounding little ceramic speakers - 31 lbs!!

2. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Nope, that's not going to work either

3. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

I agree that circuit mounted pots are not inherently bad -- pretty common in most recent Fenders, Marshalls, Voxes, Oranges. I just think the pots themselves are cheap Chinese dime pots, whereas more robust CTS or something would do the job better.

My suggestion, somewhere earlier in the thread, was to move the main circuit board down a couple of inches down the chassis (there's at least 3 inches of breathing room between it and the transformers), take out the original pots, install better pots directly into the control panel and wire them into the circuit board with short traces. While I was at it, I would put in a better power switch and hard wire as many of the parts that currently use crimps as possible. ... It would amount to handwiring the weakest points of the amp.

I'm a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type, but if the pots deteriorate over time, I might try this later on.

4. flyswatter

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the AC10!

As far as the Vaporizer, I've tried my luck with enough mass production Fenders -- Blues Junior, Super Champ X2, Mustang II, and had enough problems with build quality to be skeptical the Vaporizer would be any better. The BJ had a spring reverb and it broke three times (those miniscule wires inside the tank breaking loose) before I sold it. If the cabs were solid Pine, perhaps I'd be more impressed as to the potentially better tonal quality.

5. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Before anyone goes tearing into moving the PCB, you need to look into other brands of PCB mounted pots. Mouser Electronics has a number brands and models, some that just might be compatible. I don't have one in front of me to compare the different styles.

asnarski likes this.
  6. mapesaudio

mapesaudio TDPRI Member

I am off subject here. On my ac10 if I dime the MV, and turn down Gain all the way, no sound, the gain needs to be raised even a little to get any sound, is this normal for this amp? I've had amps where this was not the case, just curious.

7. flyswatter

Yes, this is fairly normal even if not the case on all amps. The various Fenders with master volumes I've owned can be silenced using either the channel gain or master volume. Some people like to dime the MV and control volume using the gain, to maximize clean tone (if they want a jazzy tone or plan on getting all their dirt from pedals).

8. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I am seeing on-line a limited edition 1x12 ac10 with in a weird tan color.

The title says 1x12 but the spec still says 1x10.

Has anyone seen this? Is it really a 1x12.

I was thinking of getting an ac10 an putting it in a bigger custom cabinet later on.

asnarski likes this.
  9. mapesaudio

mapesaudio TDPRI Member

Typo. It's a 10" speaker.

10. mapesaudio

mapesaudio TDPRI Member

Did it clear the tubes and transformer without any contact. I know it is 1/8" deeper than greenback, wasn't sure if that was a deal killer or not.. That's great news if it goes straight in, really nice speaker.

11. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mapes, did you physically measure the Green Beret depth? I ask because I am having a tough time finding the mounting dimensions for any of the WGS speakers.

I swapped out tubes recently, putting in Tung Sol 12AX7's and JJ EL84's, and the improvement is sublime. Fuller, more dimensional without any loss or change to the tone. As for speakers, I've read the threads, but have yet to get the sense that anyone has been overwhelmed by a speaker replacement yet. While I think this amp just screams for a sweet 10" alnico, that doesn't look like its going to happen. So, my short list for speaker options includes the following:

Celestion G10N-40
    Celestion Greenback
    WGS Retro 10
    WGS ET-10
    Weber DT-10 w/ Blue Pup cone and British cap

Looking for any input from others on dimensions, fitment issues and / or impressions on any of these speakers in the AC10.

Happy New Year, everyone!

- Bob

LordByron likes this.
  12. mapesaudio

mapesaudio TDPRI Member

I emailed one of the WGS distributers and received a response indicating the Green Beret was 4 1/8" deep, don't know about the other models you mentioned. I still don't know if that depth is still too much?
    I also replaced my el84's with tung sols, and had some old, but in perfect condition, long plate made in Yugoslavia 12ax7's, from the 80's. Made a nice improvement. I may give the VX10 some time. The sound everyone likes is due, to a great extent, the existing speaker. I'm not sure if changing it will improve on what is there, or alter it to a different sound completely...

13. mapesaudio

mapesaudio TDPRI Member

Also, if you go to page 3 of this Vox owners thread, someone there replaced speaker with the WGS Green Beret, with supposedly "no issues".

14. tarheelbob

Yeah, I saw that, but mistakenly posted back to you when I see you were having the same question as me. From what I can see with the chassis pulled out, 4-1/8" (4.125") is really pushing it and would be a max depth without issue. The folks at Weber say their DT-10 / Blue Pup ceramic hybrid (with noted mods above) will fit, and it is 4-1/16" (4.06") mounting depth.

Thanks for the replies. If you find a reference to the WGS dimensions, other than asking Vaughn on their Q&A Forum, let us know. I wish I could find some specs for the Celestion VX10, because I suspect you are right, and the charm, character and appeal of this amp has to be credited partly to this speaker. That is what was behind my comment that those who have replaced it, even with Greenbacks, seem to like the new speakers but have not been raving about any significant gains.

- Bob

15. flyswatter

Homemade Cover

Yesterday I made a cover for my AC-10. The ones from Coveramp cost $86 + shipping, which is too steep for an inexpensive small amp. So I used some insulated vinyl from the fabric store, got out the needle and thread and made one. Total cost about $4.00 in materials.

Attached Files:

HTSMetal and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  16. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Swapping the preamp tubes (to Tung Sol reissues) hasn't seemed to have a big tonal impact for my AC10C1, I just installed a matched pair of Tungsram EL84s in the power section & played them in today. More chime & sparkle across the spectrum, with major uptick in lower midrange clarity & articulation. This is a kick, and a much bigger step up in tone than going from the stock Sinos to JJs. It really cleans up the mids with humbuckers. But if I thought this amp was great with the tele before, it's kinda jaw-dropping now.

I also have put in a lightly used RCA 12AX7 at V1. I'm not sure if it was that or the Tungsrams, or both working together, but the dynamic range I get with pick attack and guitar volume control (clean-grit-dirt-overdrive) has gotten much wider than any amp i've played before--even my much spendier handwired Suhr Corso. This could spoil me.

17. t.golds

t.golds TDPRI Member

WGS ET10

I did install a WGS ET10 and the fitment was made using 5/16 hex nuts between the back plate and the amp.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  18. t.golds

t.golds TDPRI Member

My AC10C Story

I did install a WGS ET10 and the fitment was made using 5/16 hex nuts between the back plate and the amp.This gave me ample clearance.Also made the switch to all JJ and did a mod on the back plate to control low end response. I play in a moderate volume cover band and the AC10 got a little buried in the last set.I returned the AC10... then bought a AC15 to grab a little more gain and versatility.
    With the 15 came the extra wght. and a 12" greenback and the option to bypass the top boost.I used the volume pedal and tuner out setup to fade between top boost and no top boost circuits. The AC15 did not have the same responsiveness or tone as the AC10 from what i was hearing on the job. I returned the AC15... then bought another AC10.
    I am back where i started and have decided one amp is just not going to take care of a full night of cover tunes.I have been using a peavey C30 for years and with these two amps piggyback with a ABY pedal, i have a versatile rig that will cover all venues that we are booked. I have been playing in cover bands for decades and decades and have used and bought and sold dozens and dozens ofcombos,stacks,heads,effects,guitars etc. enough to open my own music store....and i will bet i am not the only player out there that has led this type of gear acquisition and turnover lifestyle.
    I am not trying to convert anybody's decision making or giving advice or direction...just stating "only the facts"
    I will say in all my years of playing the AC10 does connect to my tele's very well
    and is very touch responsive and with a few low dollar mods ....does and will scream with tone and portability

Attached Files:

19. tarheelbob

Good info, thanks for the post. But, I'm not quite clear on the ET10 install. Am I looking at a half-open backed panel versus the stock closed back? Also, don't see what the hex nuts did to help potential clearance issues. I may just be slow on the uptake this morning.

But, more importantly, did it result in the tone / sound / richness improvement you were looking for?

- Bob

20. t.golds

t.golds TDPRI Member

Yes I removed the back panel and removed the amp from the panel then I traced the stock panel outline to a sheet of plywood and cut it to match the stock pc.I then opened the lower part until I got the low end response I wanted ( about cut in half) This voiced the ac10 to match the c30 output.(General Disclaimer*~What works for me works for me)
    The 5/16 hex nuts are between the back panel and the cabinet located at the screw holes with the screw going into the back panel then thru the 5/16 nut then into the cabinet. I do like the sound of the. WGS ET-10, there is more output and it is not as brittle sounding as the stock
    speaker

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.