1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox AC10C1 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Sep 28, 2015.

1. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I play my Epi Dot w Gibson humbuckers through mine and it's fine but it overdrives earlier, hence isn't as clean as my Fenders.

2. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

I would more or less agree..what is not agreeable is the closed back..a bad decision. i posted elsewhere about this. Basically cut a rectangle opening in the back..reveal power tubes. shield the speaker and lift the top vent slightly which is clipped in..

3. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I bought my AC10C1 about 3 years ago. I am basically a "Fender guy" that has always played mostly clean - and tends to prefer my BF/SF amps more than tweed circuits. I like the classic "Vox sound" and crunch too, but more when somebody else is playing I guess.....

Anyway, I bought the AC!0 for some tonal variety and liked it OK but always gravitated back to my Fender amps. Recently I purchased an American Professional Jazzmaster and that guitar really inspires me to play! I thought I would give the AC10 another try with that guitar - first time I had plugged into that amp in at least 6 months. I was shocked at how good it sounds with that AmPpro JM!!! Vol @ max, Gain about 10:30, Treble @ 1 0'clock, Bass @ 11, Reverb straight up. Very touch sensitive - shimmery cleans with a light touch to that classic Vox crunch with a heavier right hand. Don't know if it is just this particular combination or what, but I never got this sound or feel before. Had been seriously considering selling the AC!0. but needless to say, it is going nowhere!

edit: I had bought a set of new TungSol tubes soon after I got the amp but never installed them. Maybe I will now lol, although amp is totally quiet and sounds so good with the cheap chinese tubes it came with.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    ravindave_3600, havlma1 and dswo like this.
  4. geoffsm

geoffsm NEW MEMBER!

Just found this thread (thanks all for all the great info). I've had an oxblood AC10C1 since mid-2016. Here are my Top (AC)10 observations, and a couple questions, from living with this amp for a few years:

1. The master volume (independent of SPL) acts like a compressor. Compression increases dramatically (for me/on mine) after about 9-10 o’clock. This is far from a bad thing. It really comes across as sounding like it’s tube rectified (which of course it isn’t).

2. As I turn up the master, I find that the tonal profile of the amp changes and the bass/treble controls become more useful/necessary. With the master at bedroom levels, i.e. just starting to kick in, independent of gain, I find both bass and treble are best at 9 o’clock (or below). Otherwise sounds too scooped. With the master between 10-2 o’clock, I find I need to crank the tone controls to balance out the change in profile (not saying this is bad by any stretch, just what I’ve found myself going back to over and over again).

3. Early on, re-tubed with 7189 power tubes and 7025 preamp tubes and noticed a smoothing and rounding of the tone which I initially greatly preferred to the stock tubes (which sounded brittle and harsh, 'paper-y'). However, the gain is noticeably less, the amp breaks up much later, and the sound is a little too pristine/hi-fi (like a “radio” tube sound). Plan to go with Tung-Sols in the preamp and JJs in the power section next time (sooner rather than later).

4. The stock speaker is very good. I’ve played it through the (open-backed) cabinets of a couple other combos (Fender Super Champ XD with stock 10” Eminence and a Marshall combo with G12-65) as well as a couple closed-back cabinets. No improvement. I generally loathe Celestion ‘V’-type speakers, but whatever they’ve put in this is a great match for the amp’s tonal character and cabinet construction. Don’t feel the need to change it at all.

5. That said, the highs coming from the speaker in the presence frequency range are SUPER directional! It’s a different amp on the floor vs. on a chair. At ear-level, the highs are like a flashlight and if you get off-axis, they disappear (or on-axis maybe can shake loose a filling or two ;). I often put a ‘+’ of duct tape on the grill cloth over the dust cap and this helps A LOT with diffusing the (not insignificant) high frequency content. When I mic and record with it, I typically low-pass the signal at ~7-8K.

6. The reverb actually is quite nice. It’s digital and sounds like a good plate model, but I guess that means my whole signal is being ADC’d, and then DAC’d, correct? If I decide that this offends me, on general principles, and I unplug the ribbon cables from the reverb daughter-board, do I now have a 100% analog signal path? Or do I just get no sound?

7. It has that ‘practice amp’ vibe, which is what I was looking for (as well as to round out the holy trinity of amp flavors in my modest collection). I find, with single coils, that a JHS Superbolt (v2) really brings it into Supro/Valco territory in a great way (greasy, gooey, slightly fuzzy). Good match.

8. For humbuckers, I tried a lot of pedals with it. Fulltone OCD (v3, I think) is no slouch to ‘Marshall’ it up. Or a Timmy (or clone, e.g. Caline Pure Sky) or RAT. By far the best pairing I’ve found though, for humbuckers, is an old Barber Direct Drive ‘SS’, tuned for max harmonics. With a Les Paul (Duncan Antiquities) this is a killer 18-watt Marshall sound, into JTM-45 territory (but with nice sizzle on top).

9. The master pot would be better if it were Log. It’s too twitchy for bedroom volumes. Like an HRDx. This is my least favorite thing about this amp. When I can turn it up, my favorite setting is with all knobs around 9-10 o’clock (not in a band context) and then pedals and guitar volume/tone to taste. I like a Strymon Flint in front (yes, it’s also digital but sounds so good I don’t care), esp. with the harmonic trem setting (and then with the Superbolt before it — ).

10. It’s a REALLY good ‘classic’-sounding tube amp for the money. Has it all over a Blues Junior, which would be its closest competition I would think? Doesn’t do Fender of really any type or description (but that’s not why we bought it, right? — we have other amps for that — though, I’ll say, try a Joyo American Sound in front for this). It does a number of, mostly ‘British’, things extremely well for $400 US. It’s no Matchless DC/30 but still very cool that someone(s) decided to make and market it, no matter where it's made.

CDox, dswo and ravindave_3600 like this.
  5. CDox

CDox Tele-Meister

The past 2 months I have been bringing my AC10 with me for my little side project at my friends studio as it is a lot lighter than my other amps. I've mic'd this with a Sennheiser 908, 57, some cheap condenser mic and a few others mics to try here and there. The 908 is my favorite for this amp, i have not yet mic'd it with my new Senn 609 I got this week but I'm sire that mic will sound great also. I've placed this little amp in a laundry room, his living room, his garage, his studio, live room, the control room and she has not let me down. I have to say the more I play this amp the more and more I love it. I recently purchased a 70's Maxon D&S "the first one not the D&S II which i have a '77 of." I loved the way the D&S II sounded but right now the D&S is my favorite pedal with this amp just for a little more on it, a little goes a long way for me. My knobs are set to around 9 o'clock on the D&S give or take. I do love how she sounds with nothing but my old Strat plugged straight in also. I just felt like sharing this. I did swap the stock speaker to a UK greenback and installed all JJ's in her. I have an old Fane with a pulsonic cone I am going to try out this week in her. I have become addicted to pulsonic speakers. 3 of my amps have them now. I am hoping this Fane sounds good, if not it'll go in my Leslie I made and see how it sounds in that. Have a great day and stay safe out there.

geoffsm likes this.
  6. scooter

scooter TDPRI Member

Taking the pandemic as an opportunity to fool around upgrading various gear. Had a 10% off coupon from Sweetwater and bought a new 16ohm 10" Celestion Creamback. Fit right in, no issues. Definite improvement & seems to be more efficient, too, but barely broken in so far - no gigs and too many people to annoy living & working here. I'll report back later, but so far, so good.

CDox, ravindave_3600 and geoffsm like this.
  7. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Got a(n 8 ohm) Creamback in mine too - swapped the OT for a Hammond and added a rotary switch for 4/8/16 ohm! Sounds great to me! No problem fitting that speaker in the cabinet.

scooter and CDox like this.
  8. dustin_writes

dustin_writes TDPRI Member

I've been using an AC10 since Sept. 2019. In December of last year I started playing lap steel through it and gigged from the beginning of December until the COVID crisis occured. I use an amp stand and I face the amp toward me when I play.

Still today I am amazed at how loud this 20lb amp is. Another amp in my collection is a 40 watt '66 Band Master. The Band Master is louder but not 400% louder.

I'm running all JJ tubes with tube retainers. The sound is fantastic. Crystal clear, crisp highs and full, tight lows.

The only problem I have gigging with this amp is that I can only turn the Master Volume up to 1 when the gain is turned up to 4 or greater. Because of that problem I run into trouble either being too loud or too quiet. So far my best effort is to tweek the volume using the pedal board. That isn't a perfect solution.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how have you dealt with it? Also, have others found this amp to be surprisingly loud for its size?

-dustin

9. philbeck

philbeck TDPRI Member

I've found turning the Master Volume up to 10 and then adjusting the Gain between 2 to 4 depending on the gig size works best for me. This gives it a clean tone you can dirty up with pedals. Past 4 on the Gain with the Master at 10 it gets pretty loud.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  10. dustin_writes

dustin_writes TDPRI Member

I’ll give that a shot. Thanks! I like the higher gain sound but I really need better volume control.

I‘ve read where folks find the AC 10 breaking up early and some folks saying it isn’t very loud. Could tube selection alter these factors? I’m running the JJs and I get a lot of head room and it’s surprisingly loud.

11. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

Headroom and loudness can be adjusted by using more efficient speaker. The stock VX10 is not very efficient, therefore making the amp more suitable for bedroom or small room playing. If you replace it with another one, for example VT-Junior in my case, it becomes overall louder + you can benefit of the new speaker voice qualities as VX10 is not very friendly with distortion and is quite ice-picky and bass-boomy at the same time.

12. tboneberry

tboneberry TDPRI Member

Just got mine. Second hand, virtually unused for the equivalent of $250 - impressive machine. Pairs beautifully with my 2019 Gibson SG Junior. Very happy. CB845357-E794-4366-A7A9-CD68F95DAE12.jpeg

Mr Scallywag, dcos, philbeck and 2 others like this.
  13. tom310

tom310 Tele-Meister

Wow, nice combination! Welcome to the club.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  14. savvy

savvy Tele-Meister

Hi all, Had my AC10 C1 for a couple of years now and love it. It has a Philips 5963 in V1 ignoring the Mosfet!! I run my home made Dallas Rangemaster and Kmise Trem pedal in front and use my LP copy which has a P90 in the neck. It all sounds lovely to me. I can adjust the Rangemaster to suit either my Tele,see pic, or humbucker/P90LP's
    Take care all
    Barrie

tboneberry likes this.
  15. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

just read this post. I can see from an internal photo there are 2 fuse on the circuit board...are they worth replacing as a precaution and I assume are obtainable from electronics suppliers...online or otherwise...

16. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

I found the fuses online after some searching. I don't think you need to replace them as a precaution, they will probably never blow for no reason, but it would be a good idea to have some around in case they go out like mine did.

17. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

ok thanks...what values -in amp terms, are they ?

18. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

For overdrive, distortion, treble boost pedals to work as they should, you need 12AX7/ ECC83 in the preamp...even amps with a noticeably clean sound as with some fender models have 12AX7 ..not lower gain tubes

geoffsm likes this.
  19. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Main fuse is 1.25A for 100-120V and 630mA for 220-240V.

HT Center tap fuse is 200mA

Heater fuse at 6.3A

20. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

I beg to differ (slightly). A 5751 works fabulously in that spot. It's a lower gain 12AX7/ECC83, not a totally different valve like one of the 12A*7 brethren. It reacts the same way to the overdriven input, but pushes the following stages a little less, giving you more headroom. Also, NOS 5751s (JAN GE or RCA) aren't stupid expensive and have great tone.

geoffsm likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.