1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox AC10C1 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Sep 28, 2015.

1. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

In 2020 I replaced the No1 pre amp with a 5751 permanently and I now prefer it to having 2 ECC83's

LordByron and Squawker like this.
  2. Otteroo

Otteroo NEW MEMBER!

3. CDox

CDox Tele-Meister

I just recently put a Greenback in mine. Speaker is not broken in yet but to me it sounds fuller, richer and more defined. I am looking forward to the speaker being fully broken in.

4. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

Do you have this amp now in 2020?

5. JGBats

JGBats TDPRI Member

the 10" Greenback will fit the with about 1/4 inch between the speaker and the Platform
    I just ordered one for mine !! i got this info on The Vox amp Page on FB

6. JGBats

JGBats TDPRI Member

A good friend had 2 AC10-C1 amps ..this one, i imagine is 4-5 years old
    this one quit working ,, he told me take it home and see what you can do with it ..
    popped off the back the right side power tube was burnt and not lighting up
    i ordered a Tung Sol, tube upgrade kit was 80 bucks ,, put them in still no sound
    on further inspection .. the right side also has 2 tiny glass fuses .. ordered a 5 pack
    replaced the fuse and it cranked up with AC10 Goodness .... i called my friend said AC10 working ,, He said ,, Go Ahead and Keep it .. so Basically i picked up this amp for about $97 dollars .. im completely new to Vox Amps .. the Reverb for a Digital is excellent ..im finding at high volume it breaks up quickly ,, but with the volume at say 1/4 and the Gain Cranked up its gives a Excellent tone and the breakup is minimal .. is this normal for the settings on AC1O ? What Settings are you using .. I ordered a Greenback for it last week !!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Mondeauxp and greenhornet like this.
  7. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

Fantastic amp at any price.

8. tom310

tom310 Tele-Meister

Sounds like you got a good deal (and have a nice friend!). The AC10 was my first run with a VOX amp (aside from the solid state Pacemaker I had in the 70's). I usually run mine clean with the Bass and Treble right around 12:00. I run a Tele and a Strat into mine.

9. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

I have a green back in mine and nearer 1/2" gap or so between the valves and speaker. i fitted a plate and aluminum heat sink between the 2. The heat from the tubes heats the speaker magnet and the magnet has a slight pull on the valve internals. Not good. I also cut out a section of back to expose the power valves plus a hole above the valve platform to let the heat out further...they could have done a better job, maybe next time

10. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

I've made this point elsewhere..I would advise anyone with one of these from 2015 to cut a section out the back expose the power valves..also fit long valve shields over pre amp tubes. Basically the chassis could do with a square case...

11. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

They should have stuck to the original spec...square case...open back. The choice now is to open the back or make a new case if you can.. it is a great sounding amp..but more suited to single coils than HB's

12. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

AC10 BW.jpg

This is the chassis of the original 60s AC10 . This is what Vox should have done in 2015 (IMO). Note, valves would have been on top of the casing above the speaker ..some of the originals had a tremolo circuit..but only one had reverb. I'm not sure it would have cost a great deal more to reproduce some of the original design..which is a shame because Sound wise, I doubt an original 10 model sounds radically better than the new ..

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  13. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Sonically, I agree completely. The modern AC10s are nice amps, but not comparable to vintage. But from a physical design standpoint, neither is well thought out. The same is true of the old AC30s, which is why they were known for bursting into flames. Fender and Marshall physical designs were far superior (not talking about tone, which is much more subjective). But there is something about a Vox........

14. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

Wow, you got a steal on that amp and that is a very nice friend! Mine is 3 or 4 years old and just quit working. The valves are pretty new so I'll have to check out those fuses. I run the bass at about 10 o'clock, treble about 2. I like a warm sound. I usually dime the volume control and use the gain for my overall volume but I'm playing at bedroom levels.

15. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

when its on, lift the plastic vent grille just slightly to let more warm air out top...

16. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

Thanks for advice, but my problem was not due to heat, since I had just turned the amp on. I heard the guitar for a second, then it crackled and quit.

17. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

The thing about buying originals..firstly when they come up, people can ask for $3000 to $4000, ( you can buy some good things for that money !), and then there will inevitably be maintenance issues with something approaching 60 years of age. From the few videos I've seen of them, there's nothing 'magical' in the sound. The new ones sound pretty good too...

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  18. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

An internal fuse perhaps ? internal heat is an issue with these. When it works again, run the thing for 45 minutes....then feel the back and top plate...

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  19. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

OK, need a little help. When I pulled the chasis out of my AC10C1, I pulled the speaker wires off and now I'm not sure which one goes on the the plus post. One wire is black and red and the other is just red but has been marked with a spot of black. Anyone?

20. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Doesn't really matter if you only have one speaker in a cab (which you do, obviously). But solid red to + and anything with black to -

sliberty and dcos like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.