Vox AC10C1 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Sep 28, 2015.

1. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

I thought of that but just moving the main chassis down the inside of the back panel would not interfere with the speaker. It's the power tube mount that hangs very close to the speaker, but that would stay put. I'd only attempt this if the original pots were to eventually go really bad. Right now, it ain't really broke so I ain't gonna fix it.

2. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Storm JH1 said;
    "... But the issue is that it's a single channel "Top Boost" circuit, and even Vox "cleans" aren't really fully clean - they just sparkle with subtle amounts of overdrive that retain the high end clarity that other amps sound like completely clean."

This is a great description of the results I'm getting too. Playing my '78 L6S into the AC10 last night with booster off, EHX vintage Electric Mistress Flanger, Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail delay and Earthquaker Levitation reverb all on through a range of settings. I easily found a series of lovely, highly articulate but resonant and sparkly tones, with just a slight edge of grit. There wasn't a super wide tonal range, but every useful setting (and a surprising number were) came through with great presence and utility for both for full chords and lead. These are individually all clean and warm pedals, but played all on in a front -end chain through my other amps they produce more mud than fun. Or they're more brittle, good for chording & dud for lead, or vice versa.

I'm really appreciating the distinct gritty-but-articulate character of this amp. There's vox chime but the string harmonics don't step on each other's toes, they play together quite respectfully. The Celestion Gold 10s do seem to make the most of that.

It really does sing with a tele. My MIM Blackout with the middle pickup kicked in transcends quack for a driven, warm ballsy funk-blues-punch that's addictive--exactly what I've reaching for in my head for a long time now.

3. flyswatter

My AC-10 also loves my Tele. The amp gives the Tele that extra little kick and grit it sometimes needs.

4. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Something very special about Fender + Vox combination . This amp adores my Strat!

5. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Yeah, it's really been a game-changer, even for a hopeless basement hack like myself. This amp just has such a dynamic response to it and really projects more than anything else I've played at home. It's kind of starting to ruin my Fender SCX2 for me, to be honest. That amp sounds blanketed and lifeless when I go from one to the other. And I LOVED that amp when I first heard it. But the degree of sustain and richness of tones - it's not even comparable to the AC10C1.

At the same time, I'm probably quoted all over this thread as saying that I'm not sure the AC10C1 is an ideal "only amp". Which is to say that while it's clearly my favorite tone right now, I'm not sure it's varied and pedal-friendly enough to get a rid of my other amp(s). But yeah, with a Strat, it's just incredible, and it really was an instant love affair.

asnarski likes this.
  6. flyswatter

Funny, I was thinking today how my SCX2 has become redundant since I got the Vox and I should put it up for sale.

7. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Anyone had any more experiences with speaker changes yet?

Greenbacks?
    The weber dt10 w/blue pup cone?
    Other celestion options?
    Etc etc

I'm mainly looking for a tighter bass that will hold up better when pushed

LordByron likes this.
  8. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Im running the celestion greenback 10, i think its beautiful. Since owning the ac10c1 i have drop tje use of my biggish size pedal board, the onboard reverb just helps to add ambience and im running an always on mxr cc delay sitting just under the mix, ive gotten myself a polytune clip and learnt
    To use the guitar volume knob to control gain and on a strat going from 10 to 8 cleans things up for my style

I love it and am going to sell my bigsky, ocd, pedaltrain and have learnt to really love the unaltered tone of guitar to amp with exception of the delay. Beautiful. I play in praise and worship and too much emphasis is put on pedalboards and reverb/delay. I feel its a sloppy method that stops you learning the fretboard and covers up rubbish playing, so ive changed that and im loving it, learning to hold a rhythm more dynamically than relying on delays etc. This amp is amazing so pleased i purchased it.

I bought the fender scx2 and that thing is hideous, i got it home and knew i made a massive mistake, so returned it and paid an extra £30 for the ac10. Massive
    Lifesaver

9. mapesaudio

mapesaudio TDPRI Member

Hi,
    I'm looking at the greenback also, great speaker, just curious if you or anyone researched the celestion gold 10, and if it in fact will fit?
    I already changed out the tubes, it made a surprising amount of difference, fuller, sweeter sounding. I'm really happy I went with this amp. Home use for me, it's perfect.

10. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Owners have had no luck finding an alnico speaker that will fit this amp yet. This includes Weber Blue Pup and the Celestion Gold 10. They just won't fit due to the larger bell and depth. It contacts the chassis and the back won't close.

A lot of us are still hoping to find a sweet little alnico for this amp.

- Bob

11. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Would the WGS ET-10 Suit the ac10s voicing?

12. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's exactly the speaker that I want to try out!

Both the WGS Retro 10 and the newer ET-10 look like great options. Problem is, WGS won't put the speakers dimensions on their website. So, without knowing mounting depth, etc., we can only guess they'll fit.

Weber has been very responsive to some owners struggles to find a good replacement speaker that will fit the crazy chassis arrangement. Even their ceramic Blue Pup 10" has some fitment issues. So, they have told us to order their DT-10 speaker and specify, " “Please build with Pup Cone and British Dustcap” to get slightly trimmer version of the ceramic Blue Pup.

- Bob

13. soul.com

soul.com TDPRI Member

On the Importance of Interactive Tubes...

Incredibly loud and punchy amp for its size -- blows a Blues Junior and Super Champ X2 (both rated 15watts, both of which I've owned) out of the water. Once you get past half-way on the Master Volume the amp stops getting louder and just gets creamier.

Only problem I've had is noticing crackling that sounds like bad power tubes when the MV is cranked up -- not that I usually have it on full, but I noticed it when I did.

I suspect cheapo no name Chinese tubes are the problem. I have a full set of JJs on order... should arrive this week. I have JJs in all my main amps and I'm glad to see other people here recommending them for the AC10 (as I ordered them on instinct before discovering this thread).[/QUOTE]

My "10 watt" amp (head) is a robust, single-ended, cathode-biased design by Paul Sanchez of Red Iron Amps, depending on whether I'm running an EL-34, KT-66, 6550 or among others taking higher voltage, an unusual one numbered 8417, sadly out of production. I also bought a used Peavey JSX Mini-Collosal designed with Joe Satriani with a single EL-84 drive tube, gets pretty gritty pretty fast, like some Vox amps. The old Soviet El-84 equivalents can be great, very tough, made for satellites, airplanes and battle communications.

Many NOS or UOS tubes tend to be sound better than new production if they aren't microphonic or have other aging problems. I would also recommend new production JJs, Tung-Sols, Winged Cs and such which have been treated with a cryogenic freezing process, which helps stabilize the metal. The "Cryoset" gentleman from more of a hi-fi background is not only a reliable source for those, he'll actually talk to you over the phone and make recommendations. BTW, some JJs with gold pins really are better made and sound stronger than the regular pins; for a different, "lighter" and many say sweeter sound, try the JJ EL-844s from Eurotubes and others, too.

14. flyswatter

Thanks, Soul, and welcome to the forum.

The problems are long since solved. Contact cleaner in the switches did the trick. I did switch to JJs, then switched again when I acquired some vintage 60s tubes from an old Hammond organ. Amp sounds great and has been reliable after that initial glitch.

15. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

So I guess I've had my first problem with the amp.

It started the other day, I'm not really sure what's triggering it, because it seems to just happen randomly, the amp just starts getting REALLY bassy and with any amount of gain it sounds very distorted (not the good kind), then it goes away after awhile.

It happens periodically, all of this is without me touching any of the controls, it comes and goes on its own.

I took a look at the speaker and it looks fine, changed the tubes, same thing. Not sure what to make of it. Might have to take it back and get another one. Luckily they had 3 in stock when I got mine, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I really like the amp, indeed much better than a blues junior. Hope I can get it worked out

16. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Update- the problem seems to be the bass pot. Moving it around I was able to replicate the problem I was having.

Sometimes the bass knob does absolutely nothing, and then all of the sudden I get a big blast of terrible muddy bass. This happens at various spots on the range of the knob, not necesdarily all the way up or even close to it. It cuts in and out, like it has a bad connection

17. flyswatter

Buffalo0993: Based on your report and my own earlier experience of the master volume becoming intermittent at very low volume, it's my impression that the one weak factor in the AC10s is the cheap, circuit-board mounted pots used in the amp.

If I'm right, we will soon start hearing a bunch of similar problems with people starting to work out how to fix it.

18. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Yep, that's why I'm questioning if exchanging it for another one would even be worth it.

Not sure if it's the pot that's bad, or if it's just a weak joint. Because it's not scratchy, it just seems like it's taken completely out of the circuit sometimes. Circuit mounted pots are not always bad, but they can be executed poorly. The fender reissue amps all have board mounted pots if Irc. Never had a problem with those

It's working fine right now. Moving the knob all throughout the range and I can't make it happen again.

19. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I'm fairly certain that those wgs speakers won't fit. Those are 60-65 watt speakers, I'm thinking they're going to have fairly large magnets, they look pretty big in the pictures too

20. haynannu

haynannu NEW MEMBER!

Get a Weber Sig 10A or other -- and remove dust cap...problem solved

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.