Vox AC10C1 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Deano London

Deano London TDPRI Member

Update.
    Changed the all the tubes. Still got this crackly static sounding hiss. Any clues anyone as to possible causes n remedies please?
    Cheers
    D

2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Other than the tubes, which you have already replaced, there isn’t anything else for you to try unless you are a qualified amp tech. Besides, didn’t you say the amp was new? Put the original tubes back in, and return it.

3. Deano London

Thanks for reply.
    No, the amp is second hand but was fine when first bought. It began after I transported it to a friend’s house to play it. I wonder if contact cleaver in valve connections would help ??

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Since I haven't heard the noise, it's impossible to know of course. It could be something simple, but your description (crackly static sounding hiss) doesn't suggest dirty tube contacts to me. And it could be something more involved like replacing some questionable resistors, unreliable solder connections, another bad tube (yes, even new tubes can be bad), etc. Frankly I would be a bit concerned about you messing around inside the amp too much. Remember - tube amps carry lethal voltages, and if you are not experienced, just getting inside the chassis can be dangerous. Sounds like you aren't anxious to pay a technician (which I totally get), but I highly recommend you do. If all it needs is a spray of Deoxit, the tech won't charge you much at all. And if it is more involved, well, you weren't going to solve it yourself anyway.

Just my two cents...

5. Deano London

Thanks man,, yes,, you’re right,, I’ll be better off finding a tech and letting him have a look. Thanks for your input.

6. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

B344E845-012D-499D-A601-B80DAFAB5731.jpeg 31C4B337-9811-44B9-B9EB-A32852FAFED4.jpeg Just picked up the “VS” version of the AC10c1 with the upgraded Celestion and tolex and couldn’t be happier. I’ve been using my Katana 50 clean with pedals and usually play with some crunch and grind. This amp delivers in spades I’ve posted a pic of my small pedalboard as well which works well with the amp. I run the Tumnus on 70% of the time and ride the guitar volume. I kick in the Rawkworks Light OD for solos. A loop for the H9’s time based effects would have been nice but I really like the amp for what it is and I’ve packed up the Katana.

jannodude, tom310 and Mr Scallywag like this.
  7. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Hi. Just picked up one of these jewels over the weekend. Just what I was after: small, powerful, stunning sound. What exactly are the stock tubes? Some say "cheap" Chinese, but also heard they are JJ's.

8. tom310

tom310 Tele-Meister

Love that SG too!

Itgoesto11 likes this.
  9. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Unless something has changed, the AC10 comes with cheap Chinese crap tubes. Most people replace them with JJs because they are so readily available. I am sure they are an improvement.

10. tom310

tom310 Tele-Meister

I've been using my AC10C1 with the original tubes and to me they sound just fine. I would give them a try before replacing them. I think I've read in earlier posts that some folks didn't like the way JJs sounded in this amp, but I could be wrong.

Itgoesto11 likes this.
  11. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

By all means, only change things that need changing. Everytime I hear of people changing speakers in an amp, I say the same thing. But I found the Chinese tubes that came with the AC10 to be harsh and microphonic. YMMV

12. philbeck

philbeck TDPRI Member

Me too. There was surely something wrong with the stock tubes in mine. A weird low rumble hum that wasn't right. I had read here and other places that this could be a problem so I wasn't alarmed and put a pair of Electro Harmonix power tubes in it that I had around and they've been fine ever since going on 3 years and lots of gigs. Great amp.

13. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Joining the club! Bought a used AC10-C1 last night from a local shop. Not totally in love with the color (would have preferred the standard Vox look) for the money I saved, I'm good with it. Played great in the shop but work has kept me from playing it so far today. Excited to try it with my various guitars.

Yes, I know better than to post without pics...

EDIT: just played it for an hour. Holy crap. Should have done this a long time ago. Really liked my SuperChamp X2 but this is in a whole other league. Fun amp! Still learning to dial in settings but it's going to be a blast. Played Foreigner, BTO, Tom Petty, The Cars, Collective Soul, Def Leppard and an original with no pedals and it handled them all. Liked the breakup I was getting. Wooohooo!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    richey88, MadJack, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  14. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

HNAD, Congrats

rockymtnguitar likes this.
  15. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

Has anyone located a tube chart for the AC10? I’m preparing to open the back and put a 5751 in V1 but not sure which position V1 is?

16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

The preamp tube closest to the input jack is usually the first preamp tube in the topology.

tce63 likes this.
  17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Love that fawn....trade ya for a regular one

18. tom310

tom310 Tele-Meister

Here is a Service Manual from a link in an earlier post in this thread and a gut shot that I found.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    sntsvt likes this.
  19. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting this. I successfully swapped the Chinese 12-AX7 for a NOS RCA 5751 and happy with the change!

sntsvt likes this.
  20. Jeff87

Jeff87 TDPRI Member

I have a AC4C1-12 with a Eminence Governor speaker and GT and JJ tubes. I think it sounds really good, but there really isn't a way to get rid of the boxy sound that it has. I've played it with the back off and it does sound better, but as you know that isn't possible to leave it that way. Has anyone built an open back for the AC4?

So, last week I found an AC10 that was used but looks like it was just out of the box, new. It was $299 with a 15% off sale, so I couldn't pass it up. It sound much better than the AC4 but I do find it a little boomy. I have new Tung-Sol matching tubes on the way and eventually I might swap it out for a Greenback I have. I also have a Weber DT10-P that I ordered to try that as well. I will say that I don't think the stock speaker sounds bad at all, but I can't help myself from tinkering.

Have anyone played the AC10 with an open back? Thoughts?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.