Vox AC10C1 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Sep 28, 2015.

1. nico1950

nico1950 TDPRI Member

Last week I swapped the amp for a new one. Also new out of the box in the shop.
    This one is very silent, for the moment and i hope that will remain this way.

2. whitecloud

whitecloud Tele-Meister

Quick one here as later on I will give my impression of this amp so far, however today was setting up for a Video demonstration of this amp then I hears some cracking like a short in the guitar cable or scratchy pot and bad high treble low bass tone then nothing.
    Took it apart and yeah no glow on one of the el84's which I had just upgraded the stock tubes to JJ's put stock back it it lights up but no sound
    so started looking more closely and yeah blown fuse. Took it out trying to read the very tiny print on the metal ends and 200mA 250v
    so read this thread again and notice a ways back a member had a blown resistor as well. So I just had another look inside and could see printed on the board the fuse in question is F1 hv 250 T200mA L and the other fuse which is good F2-Heater 250v T 6.3AL So I know these are heater fuses
    and the one I need to replace should be a T200mA roughly 5x20 mm size. From A Google seems like T stands for slow burn. If I can't score one locally tomorrow I'll have to go online so my question is there a way to tell slow from fast fuses if they get the order wrong? I am thinking got to see a T before the 200mA. Some Amazon reviewers stated some mix ups as the product page said slow burn and the insert in the package as well. I didn't notice any obvious resistor or cap issues, there was no pop or smoke so the board looks OK couple open connector not in use and I didn't see anything that would connect to them. I think it was some twisted fate that I would have everything setup to record video, and even miked up for Audio in my DAW that all of a sudden I have this issue :eek:

asnarski likes this.
  3. nico1950

nico1950 TDPRI Member

Hallo Whitecloud,
    Thanks for the information about the fuses. I always take some spare ones with me, but with this amp i had no idea which fuses to take.
    Nothing in the manual about this item. In Holland you cannot open the amp, because of the guarantee rules. Bad luck when you are preparing everything to make a video and this happens.
    Hope you will be able to make the video soon.
    My new amp seems to work ok uptil now, no issues so far.

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

If you are not allowed to open your amp without voiding your warrantee, then you don't really need fuses with you anyway (until the warrantee runs out).

5. whitecloud

whitecloud Tele-Meister

Fuse's bought from Amazon arrived and they are correct type installed and so far a go. So in essence a bad power tube took out the fuse It Not the amps fault It was late last night so I'll let her rip sometime today. Also worth mentioning the clips that attach to the internal stock speaker seem to have too much wiggle room enough to actually have the amp cut out some so I'll crimp then down when I open the amp back up. I ordered a set of matching JJ el84's and will have them Thursday so stock Chinese until then. I will give my personal assessment/review of this amp soon but most of the comments here are spot on.

Bluesbird likes this.
  6. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

I had this 200 mA fuse blow a couple of times & also eventually traced it to a bad (NOS, not stock sino) power tube.

7. Lostinsound

Lostinsound TDPRI Member

This morning I cranked the gain on 10 and the master on 10. It sounds farking amazing! I have fitted a greenback. It's a true rock beast.

8. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Did the Greenback fit without any modifications to the amp?

9. Lostinsound

Lostinsound TDPRI Member

Hi Sliberty! Yeah peace of cake, straight swap. I dig it much more than the 70/80. Haven't upgraded the tubes yet, must get onto that soon.

10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. Can you describe how the Greenback changed the character/tone of the amp? What about this combination was improved?

11. Lostinsound

Lostinsound TDPRI Member

When driving the amp, I thought the breakup was sweeter, had that rock crunch I was looking for. I guess you know when your not quite happy with something, and whenever I played it, I was craving a a little more. I'm now not craving more:)

But I know lots of people enjoy the stock speaker too. Guess you just gotta ask yourself, do you love what you hear?

12. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Any truth to the idea that the AC10C1, or tube amps in general, are more susceptible to electrical interference or "dirty power"?

I've been experiencing this recently with my AC10C1, and it's a little disappointing. It often starts a few minutes in after the amp has warmed up a bit. I did replace the stock tubes after I got the amp, so the current ones have about 2 years and not very much mileage on them. Certainly could be a tube problem - I've heard people talk about tubes going "microphonic", but I'm not really sure what that means.

It's not a major problem - it sounds kind of like feint, high-pitch squeal, kind of like when you turn on an old-school TV, but not loud enough to be heard when you actually play. But I've never noticed it in any of my other solid state or hybrid amps that I plugged into the same outlet. But this and a few other nagging issues have led me to consider that maybe something like the Boss Katana would be a better fit for me. I still LOVE the AC10C1, and I think it's almost unmatched compared to other sub-$500 amps, but I'd just really prefer not to have to worry about maintenance and the $60 cost of replacing the 4 tubes if there are problems.

I think the AC10C1 is a borderline elite "plug and play" tube amplifier. As an overall "amp solution" for a home player or hobbyist, though, it becomes a bit more pedestrian. Those shortcomings have been noted elsewhere in this thread: So-so reverb; no line out/headphone option; no FX loop; very limited clean headroom; extremely touchy controls setting up a "bedroom volume". And yet, I absolutely love amp and wish I could just keep it just to own it.

13. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

The faint squeal you mentioned certainly could be a microphonic tube. But I have also experienced this sound for other reasons (using digital pedals with analog pedals and a dirty power source for example).

The most common trick for identifying a microphonic tube is to tap each tube with something and listen to what the amp does. You could use a pencil or a screwdriver, but just don't hit the tube too hard :) A microphonic tune will frequently amplify this tapping in a big way.

As for being more susceptible to RF and other external noise sources, ABSOLUTELY. Less so with PCB based amps like the AC10C1, and more so with pure hand wired amps like a vintage Fender or Marshall. But any amp that has wires going from a circuit board to a pot or a jack, etc. could pick up noise from the outside, and tube amps have more such wires than SS amps do, just because of the way they are constructed.

StormJH1 likes this.
  14. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Thanks, that's all good information to know. I suppose I could try swapping in one of the stock tubes or something. The "tap the tube" trick is interesting, but might be a logistical nightmare based on the unique layout of the AC10C1. IIRC, the circuitry and tubes are affixed to the back plate of the amp, so you have to remove this when you open it up.

15. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

WOrst case, You just need to extend the speaker cable's.

16. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

...Or, easier I you've got one, plug an external cab into the back jack while you've got it opened up to do your tapping.

Richie-string likes this.
  17. mysteriousfish

mysteriousfish TDPRI Member

burger king

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah..... what were they thinking when the put the EL84s on that whatever-it-is hanging-down thing?

I could be a urologist with the way I talk.

19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I suspect what they were thinking is "we can save 5 minutes and $1.50 in manufacturing time/costs".

But they certainly weren't thinking about "upgrades", "maintenance", "road-worthiness".

Having said that, I still love the amp :)

I just wish we had a schematic for it.

20. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I bought my AC10C1 used from a guy on Craigslist, and only had it at home for about 3 days. I then brought it over to the house where my band rehearses, and have left it there since. As a result, I never really got a chance to play with it alone to decide exactly how to setup both the amp and my pedalboard to achieve "my sound".

This week when we rehearsed, I was not thrilled. I was finding it hard to limit the overdrive, even with the input volume/gain pot set very low. My pedals must have been pushing the preamp too hard. So I've decided to bring the amp home so we can "get acquainted". The pedalboard settings that I use with my Fender Princeton Amp (non-reverb, clone) make me immensely happy, but just don't work that well with the Vox. Not surprising really as the Top Boost preamp is so very different from the low gain Princeton preamp (especially the non-reverb that lacks a gain stage compared to the PR).

I plan to start from a relatively clean slate. Perhaps instead of using the Pure Sky (Timmy copy) as a foundation for my rhythm sound (Petty-ish edge of breakup), maybe I will dial in my rhythm sound with the input volume/gain pot instead - all amp. Its probably a more authentic way to get there anyway. This should reduce the push coming from my pedals, and so maybe when I kick in the boosts for more gain, it will handle it better. Then, I need to determine which of my pedals to use for that gainier tone that I use occasionally (ZZ Top, Cream, etc.). Possibly the Sweet Cream, or possibly the Orange Burst (BB Preamp clone). And I'll need to decide if I should be using the XP Booster (EP Booster clone) or not with this amp - it might just be too much (sounds incredible with the Princeton though).

I should have done this when I first got the amp, but it didn't go that way. But now is the time.

Hopefully I will find a combination here that makes me happy, because I am thrilled with the tone I get from my Princeton Amp with my current complement of pedals. So I'd rather not have to make any drastic changes to the board.

Has anyone been through this process - if so, what did you decide to do?

69Telecraigster and JJAdams1956 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.