Vox AC10C1 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Just looked at your ac10 settings in the picture, you got some good volume/gain amounts there. You very lucky you can ride your amp that wide open in church tbh! My master is like 8oclock if that when i use mine at church lol

2. yeatzee

yeatzee Tele-Meister

Gotta be creative and convince the sound guy to let you try some stuff. Volume beyond the stage was pretty much nill just by taping the heavy curtains to the side of the amp making a little iso-box (ish) effect. This was actually my first time playing there and I just adapted to what was lying around, previously I'd throw them in the very back of the stage facing away from the front and use foam/pedalboard case/whatever I can find to help deaden the sound. It was nice running both amps as hot as they were, sounded insanely good.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

I'm now in the club. I've been using a couple of little Fender Pro Jnr for a couple of years - one for small gigs and rehearsals, and one stays down at church. Recently, I've become dissatisfied with the lack of bass in church - for larger gigs etc I play through a separate cab, and the Pro Jnr has plenty of bass through a separate cab.

When I first bought the AC10, I have to confess I was distinctly underwhelmed. Maybe the speaker hadn't time to bed in yet, but whatever the cause, I had the treble control at zero, and the tone was still ice-picky bright.

Rather than give up, I swapped the Eminence Ramrod from one of the Pro Jnrs into the AC10 - wow! What a wonderful tone. Not boxy like a Blues Jnr, nor lacking bass like a Pro Jnr. Beautiful clean tones and also plenty of gain available if you don't want to use pedals.

Here is the AC10 on its first outing in church:

[​IMG]

Telefunked and Unadan like this.
  4. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

One niggle for my use. I use a speaker emulated DI in church instead of mic-I got my amp. But of course, there is no way to unplug the onboard speaker and insert the DI Box like I do with my Fender amps. With my Pro Jnr, I simply connected the speaker out to the DI and the DI to the speaker and that's it.

I wondered about modding the amp, extending the speaker lead, adding a right angle jack to that lead, and adding a speaker socket on the outside (or just rewire the existing speaker out), but I figure it will be much easier just to drape a SM57 over the amp for now.

5. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Welcome to the club! So can you confirm the eminence ramrod fits no problems at all inside the ac10c1 combo? However is it 16ohm you are using?

6. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

Yes, there were no problems at all fitting the speaker. And I can thoroughly recommend the speaker.

However, you're right, it's an 8 ohm speaker I'm using. I once had to replace the output transformer on one of my Pro Jnrs. It wasn't too expensive and the amp sounded even better afterwards. So I figure that if the worst happens and I blow the transformer on my Vox, it will provide an excuse to upgrade it.

7. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

I don't get icepick even w my more icepick-prone guitars (tele & a gibson L6-S) from my AC10c1, even with the treble pot as high as 3 o'clock (but usually it's around noon to 1). I do get plenty of icepick out of my AC4c1-12 at similar settings. I think it has a lot to do with running Siemens/Ei NOS tubes instead of the chinese stock tubes--a lot more midrange sweep.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  8. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You can get Eminence to do a 16-ohm version by calling their Custom Shop. It's a $6 or $7 upgrade and will take a week or so, but they have been great getting my 16-ohm Red Fang 10" ready for my AC10. Can't wait!

- Bob

9. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Will we be able to get some sound demo from you Bob?

10. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Never done any recording, so its not my strong suit. But, let me get the speaker and break it in and I'll see what I can do.

- Bob

11. cast138

cast138 NEW MEMBER!

Disclaimer: I'm relatively inexperienced and new here. :)

I just got an AC10C1, mainly for the size/weight, but now am in a band where I have to compete w/ a bandmate playing through a 50W 4x10. Any chance an external speaker setup would help, or should I give in to buying a new heavier amp?

Am very interested in the Matrix NL212 speaker (30 lbs!), but it's 8ohms. They have a 1x12 cab that's 16 ohms...would 2 of those work in series??

12. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

I have an external Cab with other speakers and IMO it is alot louder in db, i used a meter on my iphone and it was around 4-5db more with an alnico blue.

However what genre of music do you play? If its mainly clean i doubt this amp with an external cab will give you the headroom you want. If its with the gain high you stand a good chance with the right EQ

13. cast138

cast138 NEW MEMBER!

For this project I'm doing, lots of gain is good.

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I disconnected 1 speaker from a 2x12" cab I have to match 16 ohms, and it keeps up with both bands I play with (a cover band and an indie rock band), neither drummers are heavy metal loud, and most gigs I get by with the amp by itself (miked for outdoor shows), I love it! Disclaimer: just joined the Boss Katana club and have yet to gig with 'er, but will be giving it a shot at my next show. But everyone loves my AC10. Tons of nice comments about my tone. Rocks through one of the 12's (Celestion of course) if I feel like toting the cab (usually do not)....

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

I like this amp so much that I would love having a clean one and a dirty one and an ABY pedal. I'm at about month 4 so I think I'm beyond the honeymoon phase. I think this is a great amp.

Bluesbird and PK38 like this.
  16. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

I put a g10 greenback in my ac10 and retubed this amp with electro harmonic tubes.

Needless to say this is now my #1 amp.

I never find a setting that sounds bad.

richey88 likes this.
  17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

JJ's in the power section of mine, same here. No bad settings....

18. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Pwhite -
    I'm curious if you're having the same issues as me. Initially I had tube problems, there was definitely some microphonics going on so Sweetwater sent me a Groove tube to replace the V1. I actually ordered up a JJs for the V1 and put the GT in V2 and all that has been resolved.

However, the amp has buzz, you know like pickups or lights, just amp noise, obviously worse as you turn it up more. I thought it was maybe just my Tele single coils and 60 cycle hum but I played through my 1975 DR last night and that thing (with no work done to it) is dead quiet. But my brand new AC10 has this dang buzz or amp noise or whatever you want to call it and it bugs me.

I'm considering whether to return it or not, thinking maybe there is still something wrong with the amp, but I don't want to go thru that hassle if obviously they all make "some" noise.

Bottom line - if some noise is par for the course, I can live with it, but I just don't want to keep the amp if I still have a lemon and could get a cleaner sounding one.

Thoughts?

19. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Still enjoying my AC10 even though I have kept it stock. I will swap out V1 eventually with a 5751 to get better range on the gain knob. My favorite tone is pushing the amp with a Spark Mini Boost. Rocking chime for days.

MadJack likes this.
  20. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Spark Mini Boost is a favorite of mine with my AC15C1X.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.