1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Ac10 C1

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by teleplayer99, Jan 16, 2021.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

Love the sound. I would just like to hear about reliability.

2. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Had mine for about three years. Loved that amp, wish I still had it. Lugged it to many jam / band practice sessions. Never had an issue.

- Bob

Blister likes this.
  3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Same here. Three years or so. The only issue I had was a rattle that turned out to be just some loose screws where the chassis attached to the back. I also changed tubes, but that wasn't 100 percent necessary. I have JJ power tubes and Muller preamp tubes. Muller's break up sooner.

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Do you mean Mullard, 'cause I've never heard of Muller tubes?

5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Yes. My phone has a habit of "correcting" words it doesn't know.

tery, Goldenshellback and dougstrum like this.
  6. teleplayer99

Well found a used one and GC is going to ship it to my local store for me to try. I am really looking forward to playing it, since I have only heard the AC 10 on Utube.

7. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

It will only sound better in real life - a lot better.

If it doesn't, it's probably still got the original cheap tubes in. I bought mine used a good 4 years ago, sound was rough. Clearly the EL 84's were scrap. A pair of JJ's and it sings like a bird. Still has the original 12AX7's, I'm happy with how it sounds now, but the Tung Sol's are ready to go in when I feel the need.

teleplayer99 likes this.
  8. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Have had mine about 3 years, bought from a bandmate; sounds great and no issues at all so far ... there is burn smell from the vents whenever in use which is apparently typical for these. Mine had already had the tubes changed out, also to JJs and Tung Sols; but to note, when this amp first came out there was not just one but later a second review in GP mag (for some strange reason), and tested with the original tubes, both reviews were absolutely glowing (pun intended!) about the sounds.

teleplayer99 likes this.
  9. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Two years trouble free with mine.

stepvan and teleplayer99 like this.
  10. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

I've had one for a couple of years without trouble. I preferred it the to the AC15 I was going to buy. The AC10 had a bigger fatter sound - I think it might be because it has a sealed cab while the AC15 is open.

Enjoy!

teleplayer99 and scelestus like this.
  11. MikeBee

MikeBee TDPRI Member

I had an open box purchase. Loved the sound, sent it back because of two issues- would go to no sound sometimes, other times a popping noise.

stepvan and teleplayer99 like this.
  12. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Got mine soon after they were introduced. Hearing all the criticism about poor sound and failures of the crappy oem chinese tubes, I got a full set of TungSol's to put in. Still haven't done it though and it still sounds great with no issues at all.

Having said that, if there are issues with the used one you try, I'd pass. OTOH, if they offer to replace tubes and it seems fine I'd take it for the right price. Remember though, that you should be able to get a new one for 15% off the regular price at SW,MF,GC....or perhaps even a local shop. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    teleplayer99 likes this.
  13. teleplayer99

Thanks for all the replies. This one is supposed to be in excellent condition, but I still got it shipped to my local GC...its almost impossible to play before you buy these days, so I jumped at the chance.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I gigged with the one I had for about two years. Only problem was a microphonic tube.

15. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

The Ac10 is a great sounding amp....have had mine a couple years with no problems...:)

16. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Had one for about 6 months and the only problem was one of the power tubes went microphonic. I’d never had a vox, and I liked the sound so much I sold it to fund an ac15hw. Keeper with my Es-335.

I remember the construction was kind of cheesy, but a bunch of people here have had theirs for years with no issues. Go for it.

17. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Year and a half, sounds great!

18. teleplayer99

Well found a used one and GC is going to ship it to my local store for me to try. I am really looking forward to playing it, since I have only heard the AC 10 on Utube

19. teleplayer99

Man this Vox has exceeded my expectations, although I am just a home player but after 47 years, tone is very important to me. And this Vox is it.

I have read that with the unusual build, it is a disposable amp. Decided after hearing several on Utube, tone was my what I was after and this Vox sounded much better playing it. It can be fixed or replaced.

My Fenders used PCB boards (65 PRRI and 65 Deluxe), and I never had a problem. Except I like to plug and play and they both needed a pedal. I like to plug and play and and think this is it.

My 5 watt Swart had a pine cabinet mostly hand wired made from fine components, and was closest to what I wanted(but not quite).

Did not bond with my used Victoria 518 either. All these amps sound great. But every one is different, but I think I have found my sound.

An expensive, but fun search...just like my guitars.

elihu likes this.
  20. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I actually just got one recently and out of the box it had a bad power amp tube, would not break up at all and after some exchanges of info found the issue,the plates were loose inside one of the EL84's in the power amp side. Installed new JJ's on both pre and power amp and honestly it is alive and well for sure now! With plenty of break up for my replaying (mostly blues and late sixties and seventies music).I have heard tung-sols in the pre-amp and JJ's in the power side is the Ideal combination for these amps,the Tung-sols give more break-up apparently. But those Chinese tubes are junk for sure build-wise, but did like the tones I got with them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.