Vox AC 15C1 or Blues Junior III

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Twang Factor 10, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Twang Factor 10

Twang Factor 10 Tele-Meister

For about a year and half I've been rocking an AC 15C1.. It does everything I want except I don't like the Top Boost channel. So I've been content until last Tuesday. I got a Blues Junior in a trade. Yes I tried it out the day or the trade just to make sure it was functioning right.
    So this afternoon I got the Junior out to take some pictures to it on Craigslist. I plugged it up for the hell of it. My Les Paul first. Playing around with the volumes on the amp I got the growl the AC was lacking on Top Boost. Ok it sounds good dirty but does it cleanup? Next guitar was a tele. Yes I liked it cleaned up. So I played around for 2 hours trying to find fault in it. Nothing![​IMG][​IMG]
    I do like the overall sound of the Vox but like the versatility of the Junior. Which should I keep?

2. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Attached Files:

TheletterJ likes this.
  3. meirmusic

meirmusic TDPRI Member

I used have a AC15C1 so I'm a bit biased, but it sounds like you've already made up your mind that the Blue Jr. is the better of the two. Both are great amps so its hard to do wrong.

4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I've been extremely impressed with my Blues Junior: play funk, pop, country, blues, rock, and it plays well with pedals and also sounds great by itself. If you like the sound, you should keep it. The A/B/Y pedal, though, sounds like a great idea: best of both worlds.

5. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

I'd say if you have to choose, keep the BJ. I have one and it was my main grab and go amp until I got a Princeton. I never understood why people complain so much about them being to dirty. I can dial in very loud clean tone even with humbuckers by turning the master all the way up and adjusting the volume to taste. Treat the volume like a gain knob. You can crank the volume and keep the master low for a decent dirty tone. Try it, if you haven't already.

6. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

The vox is too heavy for what it is. (I mean it really is ridiculous)
    I went with ac4c1 and a reverb pedal. The 4 watts is really closer to 7, and the diff between 7 and 15 is marginal. Love the vox chime and grit.
    But if I had to choose from the OPs two choices, those only, I'd go the BJ.

irie and Stellacaster like this.
  7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I would lean toward a VOX AC15 over a Blues JR but you are not me. If keeping both is not an option then keep the one you enjoy the most... don't worry about anything else.

TheletterJ likes this.
  8. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

What kinda speakers are in those things? You need alnico to really appreciate that Vox. Love the ABY switch idea I may have to get one of those.

9. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

I'd personally stick with the Vox, but that's me. I also really like the suggestion above to keep them both and use an A/B/Y pedal for changing/combining amps. Or you could use a stereo pedal as the last pedal in your chain and run them together...

I also strongly agree with the need for an Alnico speaker in the Vox to really get the most you can out of it. I've owned the Greenback-equipped AC15 before. Now I have the AC15C1X (with the Alnico Blue). The Greenback doesn't hold a candle to the Alnico, IMO.

Might I ask, though--what is it about the AC15 Top Boost channel that you don't like? Would I be correct in guessing that it's too shrill or too "scooped" sounding to you? I thought the same thing at first with mine a long time ago. That two-band interactive EQ is really unique, and if you don't know how to use it, it can be really frustrating.

Here's how I explain it to people--think of the AC15 as having a "fixed amount of mids" in the EQ (which is actually quite a nice amount of mids). You can hear more or less of those mids, depending on how low or high you set the Bass and Treble knobs on your amp. I personally like a LOT of midrange growl, and I can get plenty of it out of the AC15. But to achieve that, you have to set the Bass and Treble knobs down around 1.5 or 2--seriously. It looks weird on your amp, but you'll get over that. I'd encourage you to give that a try. Set your Treble knob to about 1.5 or 2, then set your Bass knob just a tad higher--maybe like 2.5 or 3. You'll hear those mids come through really nicely.

10. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. I a/b/y a Vox and a Deluxe and am getting the best tones of my life. I've had Peavey, Rivera,
    Traynor, etc.
    Deluxe-cleans and tight bass
    vox-grit and jangle

11. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I would keep the BJ and sell the AC15. Buy a Bassbreaker with the money. You can thank me later.

12. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

To me it's kinda like asking whether to keep a Ford F150 or Chevy Camaro as your daily driver. Either will do that job, but depending on your style and needs, one will probably be a better long-term fit for more specific needs that may only be clear after time goes by. If you can keep both, great. If not, see if you can wait a few weeks and go back and forth before deciding.

13. Twang Factor 10

Twang Factor 10 Tele-Meister

Yes, I would like to try a Bassbreaker.

14. jgordito

jgordito TDPRI Member

I own one of each. My ac15 has a greenback. I play my vox way more than my Bjr but the Bjr seems to be more forgiving with changing guitars and pedals. I pretty much always have the exact settings on my vox and play the same guitar through it 99% of the time

15. Stellacaster

Stellacaster TDPRI Member

Vox AC15C1 or keep both & use the Jr for gigs cos its sturdy & easier to carry

16. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Keep both

17. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

Blues Jr I play at home mostly just a great all around amp. Handles pedals, sounds good clean or dirty it does everything pretty well. Best of all used they are very reasonably priced and a great value.

18. rp1138

rp1138 Tele-Meister

I've had 2 AC15s and 2 Blues jrs. I deeply regret selling both of the AC15s. The Blues jrs I couldn't get rid of fast enough.

19. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Keep the Vox

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've bought a couple of BJrs because they seemed great for a while but then sold them.
    Kind of like fast food tube amps.
    They seem to cover all the bases, yet next to a better amp I couldn't figure out quite why I had liked them.
    I'd go with option C, sell both and buy one better amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.