Voodoo Labs Pedal Power or one spot?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by adjason, Nov 10, 2018.

1. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They do two related things:

1. Isolate digital pedals that create whine/noise when daisy-chained. Not all digital pedals do this, but many do.
    2. Provide a lot of power to the isolated taps (if you need them) - often, again, for power-hungry digital pedals that don’t daisy-chain well.

If you use analog pedals or digital pedals that daisy-chain fine, and your OneSpot has enough power for all your pedals when engaged, it does nothing. To me, even if you have one pedal that is digital, doesn’t daisy-chain and requires a lot of power (some require like 500ma), the better solution is to buy a second OneSpot for that pedal.

The owner of Mr. Black had an interesting Blog where he went through how he read so much about isolated power supplies being superior and “quieting” a rig that he bought one. But had the nagging feeling that his rig was noisier when he switched to it. So he measured. Yep, the fancy isolated power supply INCREASED the noise floor over his humble daisy-chain . . .

3. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 TDPRI Member

I can add just a couple tidbits...

From what I've figured out, the OneSpot will power 1,700mA of pedals. So... how do you figure out how many milliamps total is your total draw?

Thank goodness for stinkfoot:
    http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

He has most everything in one place at that web link. Every pedal has a different milliamp draw, and the more complex the pedal, the more draw.

But, if you have just a few pedals, like overdrives, boost pedals, a tuner, that kind of stuff, chances are good you are well under 1,700mA.

Just to get ya lookin' over there, this is his BOSS pedal list...
    http://stinkfoot.se/archives/867

A DS-1 Distortion only draws 4mA. The OD-1 Overdrive draws only 4.5mA. So (for example) if you only had those 2 pedals, you'd only be demanding 8.5mA from your power supply...

And so on...

I used an Excel Spreadsheet to list all my pedals, then the stinkfoot page to find most of the milliamp ratings. If he didn't have it on there, they mA spec is usually in the owner's manual of the unit. You can most times find the manual for almost everything in PDF form just by doing a Google search for the pedal name and the word "Manual."

Then (I assume you already have one of these but our fellow readers new to this stuff might not...)... with the OneSpot, you can get a daisy-chain cable like one of these (or any cheaper model, this one seems to be kinda pricey)
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss/PCS-20A-PARALLEL-DC-CORD.gc

Off of your one OneSpot, you can do up to 1,700mA of pedals... using the daisy chain cable to power them all.

I had not even considered buying a second OneSpot until someone above mentioned it...

Also, FWIW, a lot of guitar tuner pedals have an "IN" and an "OUT" you can use to power one of your overdrives or distortions, or maybe a boost pedal that has a lower mA rating. That saves one of the connectors on the daisy-chain cable.

And if you do decide to keep the PedalPower unit, and if you have a Pedaltrain pedal board... before you go and waste money on one of those kits where you screw the bracket into the bottom of your Pedaltrain to mount the PedalPower... WAIT!!!...

On the front side of the board you're most likely using Velcro to hold all your pedals... so... what I do is stretch a large chunk of Velcro over the PedalPower, then the same on two of the rails UNDERNEATH the Pedaltrain board (I use a Pedaltrain Classic 2 - 12.5" x 24"). There is no way in freaking Hades that thing is coming off under there. Good luck even prying it off... and its a no-muss-no-fuss mounting for us non-mechanically inclined folks. I wouldn't even dream of attempting to screw a bracket onto my board, I'm sure I would screw it up (extreme mechanically challenged, haha).

Plus, don't get too excited about Voodoo Lab's power supply... it actually isn't all that powerful... their specs on the web site say it puts out 100mA per output... wheeeee... so much for pedals that want 300-500mA...
    http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm

-----------------------------------------------

I started to do the "too much information" thing here about Strymon Power Supplies, but I decided to make that into a different thread... rather than hijack this one, LOL...

IMHO, the Voodoo Lab stuff is now out-dated technology... and Strymon seems to be the cutting edge (or at least what us consumers can see)... I would imagine professional national acts and their prospective pedal builders can blow away anything we can buy out of a store...

I do like the idea of possibly buying one (or even 2) more OneSpot's, and maybe another daisy-chain cable or two...

4. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I like the Power-All better than the one-spot, but whatever works for you. The only time a one-spot gave me a problem was using a Full-tone Clyde wah with a Holy Grail reverb. Had a high-pitch whine that only a couple of folks could hear.

5. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

What One Spot are you using? The original or the Pro?

If you're running on of the Pro One Spots, it probably doesn't do much other than the Sag feature. If you're running the wall-wart One Spot, the Pedal Power does quite a bit more.

In the end it comes down to whether you actually need the features or not.

6. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Agreed on the sag function.

I have gas for one just to see how it works on overdrive, distortion or tube screamer pedals.

But for the price I've got other gear I'd rather have.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Just bought a Caline CP-05 1 amp power module for $23. 10 x 9V outlets. 1 x 18V outlet. With 10 cables etc. We'll see how it is.

8. NorthenLights

NorthenLights TDPRI Member

Which one spot is it? If it is the adapter/daisy chain, other people have already explained isolated outputs.

However, if it is any of the serious One Spot power supplies, like CS6, CS7 or CS12, I'd say that it is a new generation of inovative power supply design. The PP2+ is expensive because it has been the industry standard for god knows how many years. Now the competition is finally starting to catch up, and True Tone are among the front runners. My CS7 is lighter, more quiet, has more juice (I think), cheaper and more versatile due to offering 9, 12 AND 18 volts of power. I had a PP2+ for about 10 years, but lately I've started using alot of pedals with different voltage requirements, so I got the CS7 instead. Sold the PP2+ and do not miss it. The CS7 has one less output, and lacks the sag-controll, but I can live without those.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.