Volume Poti acts tonewise like a on/off switch on a stock 1968 Telecaster

skunqesh

Tele-Holic
View attachment 944225

That's the only thing we really need to see more clearly. I've enhanced the photo a bit, but I still have trouble reading anything but the 20% and what looks like 25F, which makes no sense (F means 1%) unless it's just a manufacturer code. Neither does a capacitor code of 100, which would be 10pf. The correct value is .001uf/1000pf, which would normally be labeled 102.
just chiming in - this treble bleed cap was a common OEM addition to Fender tele controls around the late 60s (~1968 forward). Often seen with 1meg pots.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
200.gif

gmanella

TDPRI Member
Better Pics >>> 1MEG Pot.

I was curious about the switch have seen a quite similar before
on my CAR 1967 and removed it thought it was retrofitted.
Don't think so anymore.

Never heard of Oak Grigsby 'til today.

BTW...the blonde weighs 6,61lbs (3.0kg) and the CAR weighs 7.94lbs (3,6kg).
Have not sorted out the pot-issue yet.

DSC_2374.JPG
g

DSC_2375.JPG
DSC_2379.JPG
DSC_2381.JPG
DSC_2383.JPG
DSC_2384.JPG
DSC_2385.JPG
DSC_2387.JPG
DSC_2388.JPG
DSC_2389.JPG

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
Yes it is a pity but these Stackpole pots (or other brands) will not last forever. If the guitar was used regularly all this time, the original volume pot is usually toast. I am not sure but perhaps the excess lubrication agent that those contact sprays contain may also play a part in the ultimate disintegration of the carbon track. The stuff is obvious in the pictures, no need to apply even more. You could consider to pry the back of the pot off and have a detailed look at what has happened with a magnifier. You can probably see what has happened. Sometimes you can fix it by carefully bending the wiper contacts. But usually the pot cannot be fixed anymore. It is almost impossibly to replace just the carbon track and keep the wafer with the original solder terminals. You could consider leaving the guitar as-is if you can still play it. In your case I would make good pictures of the original wiring and then (sadly) replace the pot (and keep the old one with the guitar). On the bright side, you would be able to substitute it with a 250k if you don't like 1M pots.

Last edited:

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
That's the correct value cap, all right. I've never heard of control cleaner causing a pot to deteriorate, but regular contact cleaner without lube certainly can; in fact, it probably will.

skunqesh

Tele-Holic
Both pickups work when volume is open.
Hi Jorg,
I think you may have already answered this question, but I'm still looking for clarification.

Does the problem with the volume pot happen with each pickup, individually?
that is - when only one pickup is selected at a time (bridge OR neck pup). Not both (middle switch position)

if the problem only occurrs with one pickup (let's say the bridge, just for example)
then the problem is an open coil (Broken winding).

asking because - it's a pretty common problem with older Fender pickups.
IF so - it can be removed and rewound, and there are lots of highly reputable pickup rewinders who specialize in old Fender pups (ie Lindsy Fralin, etc)

gmanella

TDPRI Member
Hi Jorg,
I think you may have already answered this question, but I'm still looking for clarification.

Does the problem with the volume pot happen with each pickup, individually?
that is - when only one pickup is selected at a time (bridge OR neck pup). Not both (middle switch position)

if the problem only occurrs with one pickup (let's say the bridge, just for example)
then the problem is an open coil (Broken winding).

asking because - it's a pretty common problem with older Fender pickups.
IF so - it can be removed and rewound, and there are lots of highly reputable pickup rewinders who specialize in old Fender pups (ie Lindsy Fralin, etc)
Thanks you for asking.
It's present on both pickups by themselfes or both together.
Checked it with a friend after spraycleaning of the volume pot and
had the impression it got better.
My friend said he thinks it's as it supposed to be.
Still don't know how to deal with it since I wanna use the Tele for
life gigs.

skunqesh

Tele-Holic
Still don't know how to deal with it since I wanna use the Tele for
life gigs.

There's a great suggestion above - From Chris M. - to remove the original controls, intact, and drop in a new rig. my 2c - what he said: vintage specs, 250K pots, etc. if you're gigging, I'd say you have to have reliability over 'vintage appeal'.

It's a tough call because there's so much potential value placed on "Original" teles.

but - the true value, (in my humble bleeding heart opininion), is a beautful old guitar that gets played, and brings you and other people happiness.
cheers!

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
If the guitar still fictions with the controls turned up maybe you should use an equaliser pedal to make adjustments so you can keep the guitar stock.

gmanella

TDPRI Member
After sitting for a while the volumepot is working as it should.
It rolls of the volume correctely with the treble quite present
all the way. Tried a little and found a way I could work with in a live situation with it.
With quite some meat for solo when full up and more trebly and
less gain when turned down a little, for rhythm.
I use the screw hole of the knob as a optical scale to get that done quickly.
In this configuration it's also usefull to use the tone control to dime the
trebles if too much.
The guys at Fender had thought of something back then.

Thanks all for your help.
The next post about my two Telies is about to come.

Last edited:

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
Congrats, Jorg. Sounds like the best possible outcome. BTW, I also use the tone control's screw hole as a visual aid. Looking forward to your next thread.