Volume Pot ID

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Stiles, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister

Hey - This is a shot of the volume pot in my CS NOS '63. I'd love to get one with the same taper for another Tele. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm not hip to such things.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

It's probably a A250K pot from CTS... But without measuring it, it's difficult to tell ! :oops:

-tbln

3. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

Yep, Looks like a 250K audio pot made by CTS. Well, it's a CTS pot, and in a tele, it should 250k. These are pretty hit and miss, you can buy 10 of them and they may all measure different, some will be 235k some 260k and all things in between.... the taper can also vary. I like to hook them to the ohm meter and measure the max then turn the nob and see how smooth the taper is. Some of them only run for 10-7, some will be smoother, from 10-3 or so.

4. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

to answer your question. You can buy 250K pots on ebay. They make audio and linear pots. They are different and people have opinions on which is better. In theory, a linear has a longer sweep but most use audio for volume pots.

Stiles likes this.
  5. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

I should add, they sell these pots with long shafts (you dont want these, they are for les paul type guitars). You either want short split shaft or short solid shaft, depending on the knobs you use. Obvious, the solid shat pots have a solid shaft that requires a set screw in the knob. The split shaft knobs just push on.

Stiles likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

7. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone. I knew I came to the right place.

8. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

I'm with lutherburger
    Fender 0990831000 has the same numbers and letters that are not obscured by the solder!

Fender_250K_Solid_Shaft_bttm.jpg

9. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

If you are wanting a very smooth even taper then a close tolerance rated + or - 10%
    works really well. I measure all mine and have 3 unused rated @ 10% but actually
    measure exactly 250K. Some others are 230 - 245 and on 256K. There were some
    vendors around and may still be that sold 5% tolerance for a dollar or two more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.