Volume pedals - active vs passive.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by VerySlowHand, Jan 17, 2020.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I want to add a volume pedal to my new pedalboard build and don't know whether I need an active or passive one. My board is a mixture of ZOOM G3n (non-pedal version, obvs) and about seven/eight TC Electronic stomp boxes, powered (possibly) by a 1Spot, with daisy chain.

Been doing some Googling...

The first pedal in my chain is the Polytune 3 with Bonafide Buffer... so I'm guessing a passive pedal is okay? And my guitar is a Tele (what else), so 250-500K for the pedal, right?

I'm looking at secondhand Ernie Ball pedals. Is there anything else you can recommend for around $100.00 used.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    DaphneBlue likes this.
  2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

The EBs seem popular. Decide how much resistance you want. Play with a few. I'm in possession of roughly 6 volume pedals (half working 100%....) and while Goodrich pedals feel like they're sturdy and solid, only 1 of the 3 is working properly. Those go for $250+ new. So, unlike some other pedals, buying current production makes perfect sense. Old stuff needs repairs eventually, and volume pedals see more wear on the moving parts than other stuff.

If you want a volume pedal and not just an on/off button, EB is good passive. Active ones give you more different levels you can use, since they boost and you can get normal loud before the floor, but you may not need that. Play with some.

Oh, and ask steel players. Most pedal steel players will have more experience working a volume pedal than we do flipping the "on" switch of an amp....

3. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Where will the volume pedal go in the chain? If you have an effects loop in your amp, this would be a good place for the volume pedal if you wanted to use it as a Master Volume, especially if also using the amp's pre-amp distortion. Placed here, you'd want a low impedance (25K) pedal. Also low impedance with active pickups.
    Anywhere else in front of the amp, either before any effects or at the end, or anyplace in-between, a 250K high impedance pedal should work fine.

Frodebro likes this.
  4. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Thanks guys. I've decided to use the volume control in my little finger. It came free with the rest of me! Seriously though - I think I've got enough pedals to fiddle with, without overcomplicating things.

5. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Problem solved^^ If you're not doing swells or hot switching guitars, the volume knob on your tele gets the job done. With 8 pedals, I think your money is better spent on a real power supply with isolated/regulated/filtered lines. FWIW, I bought an EB 40th anniversary model with the kevlar chord and they advertised it as workable as passive at the beginning or hot in the middle of the chain. It works fine either place.

6. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Confession time. I gave up on the stomp-boxes and bought a ZOOM G5n on eBay.

Although things might change by this time tomorrow evening... :lol:

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I don't do active anything anymore. Sound always slowly goes to crap until you realize you've been sounding terrible for the past hour.

I've got an old '80s Ernie Ball passive volume pedal. Works fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.