Volume pedal suggestions?

tonyguitargoat

Tele-Meister
I've just bought the little Mooer Leveleine volume pedal to use with my lap steel. Quality is good and no loss of treble. It's the mini one with a fold-out treadle. But it's feels a bit small under my foot. If I can't get use to it (especially with boots) any suggestions? I know pedal steel players often use something like a Goodrich - expensive, and still have a string inside to turn the pot. Moder alternatives? Thanks.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
I've never had a problem with the passive Ernie Ball volume pedal I bought in 1999. For me it doesn't attenuate treble or anything unless I passively split the signal (always a bad idea) using the tuner out jack without a buffer before it.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The big Ernie Ball aluminum pedal is readily controllled as opposed to the small ones. They do have wearable items inside though. Including a string!
I'd buy a large format modern pedal for ease of use and no maintenance.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm using a Fender PR726 with my pedal steel... it's extremely rugged and has a great volume sweep.
They also made a "volume/tone" pedal, which would likely even be more suited to a lap steel for specific sounds.

Those are both part of the "classic series" released around 2008... I don't think they make them anymore, but they seem to be available on the used market. I got mine recently for about $80 CAD, but could likely recycle the metal in this thing for more :lol:

Quality is good and no loss of treble.

A traditional volume pedal is just a passive volume control. When placed first in the chain it reacts with your guitar exactly the same as an added volume control to your guitar would. POT value matters, a 250K would trim more highs than a 500K or a 1M pot.

When placed after a buffered pedal or if the VP is buffered there will never be any loss of treble regardless of the POT value.