Volume pedal or Clean boost.

String180

TDPRI Member
Hi,
So my ongoing search for the magic solo tone continues. I'm close but can't quite get the right mix live.

I really like the base tones i get from my pedals etc but need a lift for solos.
Do you guys and girls use a single pedal for solo tones or just lift your base tones volume add some slapback and way you go

I'm currently loving the boosts side of a D&M drive into a Pantheon for leads but slamming the input of the pantheon does not give me the volume lift I require.
Would you advise a volume pedal heeled back slightly for rhythms Post drives and floored for solos or something like a Micro amp post drives for volume lift instead.

My feeling is I'm using to many boosts in my chain if I place another post amp.

Polytune>EPboost>D&M(Mick first)>Pantheon>Marshall Origin50 Effect loop> MXR Chorus>Carbon copy> HOF.

Last edited:

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Clean boost all the way. I used a volume pedal for years. It's great if you want to put it in the effects loop for doing volume swells and stuff, but if you're just wanting something to boost you into overdrive for leads the clean boost is the way to go.

String180

TDPRI Member
Clean boost all the way. I used a volume pedal for years. It's great if you want to put it in the effects loop for doing volume swells and stuff, but if you're just wanting something to boost you into overdrive for leads the clean boost is the way to go.

Cheers Dismalhead.
Yeah I think volume pedal may be more hassle than it's worth getting back to a rhythm tone quickly might overshoot and end up not being herd.
I'm thinking micro amp. Been seen on loads of peoples boards.
Any opinions on a pedal for that job?

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
MXR microamp... nice clean bombproof boost. Loads of headroom, no colouration. Had mine decades. Never gigged without it. End of chain or end of chain in loop for solo volume lift.

With the supplied rubber knob cover slipped on (fnarr fnarrr), you can adjust it with your foot mid tune too. Can do it visually too which is harder with a treadle unless playing.

Grandy

Tele-Holic
I use a volume pedal but not just for pushing up solos in the mix. I have it after drive pedals which gives me more options on how to use drive pedals. With the volume pedal l can boost clean solos or do dirty swells. With guitar volume pot I can clean a dirty sound if I need to.

artdecade

Poster Extraordinaire
Volume pedals and clean boosts only "lift" when you have amp headroom to spare - otherwise they clamp down and compress more. Make sure your amp has some. Sometimes, lifting the volume is not important as cutting through a mix and that is more of an EQ issue (midrange). If you are playing with a band, make sure that you have a talk and spend some rehearsals working on band dynamics, ie dialing it back a bit when other members are taking a solo.

String180

TDPRI Member
Cheers,

We definitely are guilty of overplaying in a band mix. I was initially thinking of placing the volume pedal or boost after the amps pre amp in the loop as to not push the amp too much more.
I'm not a swell (volume) kind of guy. So thinking a volume pedal may be taking unnecessary real estate on my noard.
As for cutting though the Marshall origin 50 which I like. EQ wise is definitely cutting and with the Klon style boost of the D&M I'm out there enough.
I also like the idea of having a small switch setup so to click in a boost and modulation in one button press.
Think I'm swinging towards the boost.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
mxr10bandeq.JPG

kbong

TDPRI Member
The boost from the D&M drive isn’t really boosting anything at all. It’s boosting the input gain of your Pantheon, creating a slight volume lift but really what you’re doing is adding more saturation and gain to your pantheon. You said it yourself. What you need is something after your pantheon. It could be a boost, OD, EQ, anything that will give you that lift. It would help to get something that boosts mids too since that’s where guitars live.

telepraise

Tele-Afflicted
I have the Xotic EP Booster you list in your chain and it does exactly what you're looking for. It has tons of headroom and should give you all the boost you need. I also use a volume pedal because I'm playing praise and worship and need the ability to do swells and mute instantly when not playing. Also, most songs slowly build in volume and energy as they progress, so the pedal is helpful. Most genres of music don't have this need though. IMO, a volume pedal is not a good tool for modulating between lead and rhythm levels because there's no reference point like numbers on a volume knob. Granted some VPs do have a minimum level knob, so you could set the floor level. Also, most VPs have a small sweep, making them very sensitive. I think your present chain will get you there if you tweak it. Maybe move the EP Booster to after your drive pedal so the level set on the D&M isn't clamping down on the volume.

String180

TDPRI Member
Thanks all,

I have some things to try out then. I do own a GE7 so could use that boosting the mids on it. See where that take me.

The EP booster start of chain I liked to thicken my tele sound up a bit. Was an always on pedal. But could try that i guess too.
My whole rig is very sharp at times so cutting through is not the issue. Just getting the balance between a slight volume lift on all different drives when soloing so post drives make sense.
I do have headroom in the amp so could place the EP or boost pre Marshall. Does anyone have any comments for EP in effect loop?

PoorNoodle

Tele-Meister
Based on your description I think your amp seems to be running out of headroom since you want a volume boost but don’t get one.

Adding a boost or volume pedal would just cause your amp to overdrive more, not become louder. I think what you may be looking for is actually an EQ pedal. I use the MXR 10 band suggested above and it works well. With the right settings (cut bass, boost mids) the perceived volume will increase and your solo will cut through better. A TS Type pedal used as a boost could get you in the same ballpark. In either case pedal last in the chain (or in the loop ) is my suggestion...

LeonHr

TDPRI Member
Why not going other way?
DIY solution simple stompbox in fx loop only with one 500k pot and DPDT switch.
Pot will drive part of yours signal to ground and that will be your main volume...and when stomped your full signal will avoid potentiometer and will hit power amp.
So no need for power supply...no mess...simple, small, and real clean boost...can't beat that...and you can easily adjust amount of lead volume that your need...

String180

TDPRI Member
Why not going other way?
DIY solution simple stompbox in fx loop only with one 500k pot and DPDT switch.
Pot will drive part of yours signal to ground and that will be your main volume...and when stomped your full signal will avoid potentiometer and will hit power amp.
So no need for power supply...no mess...simple, small, and real clean boost...can't beat that...and you can easily adjust amount of lead volume that your need...

Interesting could be worth a try.

tah1962

Friend of Leo's
Why not just use your volume knob, tone knob, and pickup selector switch on your guitar for a lead boost? Set your amp a little hotter and dial in your base tone with the volume knob set around 6-7. When it comes time to solo, just crank your volume up to 10. When your done, turn it back down to 6-7. All the controls are at your fingertips, not your feet. No pedal dancing required. YMMV.

kbong

TDPRI Member
The absolute cheapest solution is to simply switch the pantheon and the D&M drive positions so that Mick’s side is last in your drive section. The mid hump should help.

I use a blackbox OD, which is fairly in the same vein as the Pantheon, but I have a Tumnus Deluxe after as a boost, which bumps the mids.

String180

TDPRI Member
The absolute cheapest solution is to simply switch the pantheon and the D&M drive positions so that Mick’s side is last in your drive section. The mid hump should help.

I use a blackbox OD, which is fairly in the same vein as the Pantheon, but I have a Tumnus Deluxe after as a boost, which bumps the mids.

I did try this but I feel the D&M boost into the Pantheon just sings. The other way round not so impressive. That's why I'm looking at raising the volume of what I have rather than boosting into my amp more for more saturation.
I'm thinking I could try my GE7 in the loop with pedal on flat EQ lower volume for rhythm. Pedal off for lead

LeonHr

TDPRI Member
I did try this but I feel the D&M boost into the Pantheon just sings. The other way round not so impressive. That's why I'm looking at raising the volume of what I have rather than boosting into my amp more for more saturation.
I'm thinking I could try my GE7 in the loop with pedal on flat EQ lower volume for rhythm. Pedal off for lead
Ok but...having GE7 and all that circutry only to lower your signal is little...hm...