Volume pedal help

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mike7300, May 11, 2012.

1. Mike7300

Mike7300 TDPRI Member

Hi all!

Just discovered these forums and i love it!

What do you guys recommend for volume pedals?
    I own a bunch of pedals, but have never had a volume pedal, and I am looking to make that my next purchase.

Thanks!

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Pinky finger is best for a tele.

A lot of players like the senior size Ernie Ball.

3. 4514

4514 Tele-Holic

Literally anything. Just make sure you try it out in the store first. A volume pedal is a volume pedal, if you're happy with the sweep it has, then go for it. The cheapest one offered at Corner Music in Nashville was the Ernie Ball VP Junior, so that's what I got because I had some store credit. Some of my friends complain about Ernie Ball volume pedals saying that there's too hard of a volume jump in the sweep. I think they're fine. Any volume pedal is gonna require some practice and getting used to.

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have an old DeArmond, a '70's Morley that I brought back from the dead, an Ernie Ball that needs the pot replaced and an Ibanez VL-10 that's been on my pedalboard for something like 20 years. I think it's been on my 'board longer then anything except for a BOSS DD-3 delay. It has a small footprint and a good taper. I don't know where you'd find one as they're out of production, but look around, you might get lucky.

Attached Files:

5. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

If you are putting the volume pedal between the guitar and the amp, you want a high impedance pedal. A volume pedal in the effects loop of the amp can function as a foot controllable master volume, but get a low impedance model for this app. Ernie Ball makes both, and I think the Morleys swing both ways.

6. telebuc

telebuc Tele-Meister

I decided to get a higher end one - ended up buying the Hilton. I hear so many people say "they are designed for steel players, they don't work well for standing guitar..." but I have to disagree. Mine is very comfortable, is built like a tank (it should be for what it costs), and sounds incredible. The buffer in this thing really improves the tone - especially with a bunch of pedals after it.

7. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've goth the Morely "lil Aligator", and I love it!

I had an EB jr, but within weeks it got scratchy sounding, and then it developed a delay in dialing all the way up (like a half second lag). I figured that had something to do with the string/spring combo on the pot.

Then the string broke.

I might have just got the 1 lemon fro EB. Who knows. But I was jaded enough to return it and get my Morely.

My morely hasnt given me one problem at all. No hiss/scratchiness (optical, not potentiometer), precise, and consistent.

Only downside to it: She takes up a lot of real estate on my pedal board, but I do have the room (I only run 7 pedals).

And the price is right. I think I only paid 59 bucks 8 years ago, and I think I saw an ad for one recently for 69 bucks.

8. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, and just a recomendation:

Put your volume pedal at the end of your effects chain (guitar/OD/dirt/boost/compression/modulation/delay/eq/tuner/volume pedal)

This way when you roll off or on, there is no change in your tone other than volume level, and by simply rolling off on your volume pedal, you can tune silently.

9. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

Visual Volume by Visual Sound rocks. My pedal board got stolen and I missed it... look at other pedals, but non measured up. It's got LED lights so you don't have to guess your level and it's got a great buffer, so your tone doesn't get lost... and it may even improve, depending on the pedals/cable length you use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.