1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Volume Pedal Choice

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Martin R, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

I'm starting to work with a lap steel. I foolishly bought a Morley Volume+ even though I knew about the "bump".
    I'm going to sell that one and get either a Mission VM-1 or Fender FVP-1. Anyone using either of these for lap or pedal steel?
    If you have suggestions I'll be glad to listen, too.
    Thanks in advance.

2. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

I’ve just bought a Dunlop Mini X. Really good pedal!

I saw one of these recently and nearly bought one. Still may get one in the future, depending on the durability of the Dunlop. Think the guy who builds them plays/builds lap steel.

https://glenntaylormusic.us/

Martin R likes this.
  3. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Wow! Those are really cool volume pedals and very reasonably priced!

I have a Goodrich (L-120 passive) pedal that I bought for pedal steel which also works well with lap steel. I'm not sure what it is about the pots they use but it seems to give a much smoother swell than any other volume pedal I've tried. The downside is, they cost two or three times as much as the other volume pedals I've tried (go figure). Here's a link: https://goodrichsoundcompany.com/volume-pedals/

4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

the Fender pedal has a very short sweep, not very good for swells unless you have a very sensitive foot. It does have a built in treble bleed so that the highs stay strong as you back it off. It's a very solid passive pedal for the price tho. I'm now using the Ernie Ball MVP anniversary model with the kevlar chord. Solid with smooth swells.

jondanger and Martin R like this.
  5. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

I like the website and his attitude. The price is good, too. The reason I originally went with the Morley was because it's optical. That big string bothers me.

I'm sure the Goodrich is good. But I'm going to hold off spending $400 on a pedal until I learn to play the damn thing.

John Owen likes this.
  6. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

That's very helpful. I would like something with a long sweep. Will you take a look at the Glenn Taylor demo above and let me know if that sweep looks short to you?
    Thanks

7. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

I also picked up a Morely (it was cheap) for a lap steel I knocked up - took a bit of getting used to after the Ernie Ball I have on my main board.

I also had a Mooer Slow Engine knocking around which I didn't get on with on my main board as I can do swells far better with my foot and it was interesting dropping that in on the Lap steel - since I am still trying to get noises out of it (and I dream of tunes) it allowed me to move forward on the instrument much faster and the attack control is interesting.

Anybody else using auto swells in this in environment or am I cheating too much?

Martin R likes this.
  8. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m also using an MVP but it’s the plain old. Feels good to me and has a tuner out that doesn’t stink.

Martin R likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.