1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Volume (or lack of) issue - what happened here?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Rob J, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

My CV 50s Squire Strat has suddenly developed a volume issue. A few days ago I started noticing that the volume would cut out occasionally. If I wiggled the cable it would come back. Suspecting a bad solder joint or broken wire in the input jack I changed the input jack using an All Parts jack supposedly made by Switchcraft.

At first, when it was put back together there was no volume at all. Took out the screws and tried it with the jack pulled away from the cavity and it worked. The cavity has shielding paint and evidently the new jack was allowing the cable tip to touch the edge of the cavity accounting for no sound. Fixed that issue but while I now get some sound, it's very weak at full volume and non existent at anything lower than 8 on the volume pot. The strange thing is that it was working before the change out. I played a full gig with it a week ago with no problems.

I thought, maybe a bad cable but plugged the same cable into two other guitars and they behave as they should with plenty of volume at the same amp volume setting. Also tried a different cable in the Strat with same low volume result.

Could the volume pot have coincidently gone bad all of a sudden? Before this started, I DID notice that the volume would go from too low to a sudden jump to too loud from maybe 7 up to 10, but at least it did get loud and could be controlled. It no longer gets loud enough to be usable.

Any ideas how to further troubleshoot this or any clues as to what may be happening and how to fix it?

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Always start with the cheapest, most simple solution first and work up incrementally from there ... this works with cars, too ...

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Rotate the jack in the input metal piece. They can be problematic rotated the wrong way. The cord should go in easily and not be hard to push in.
    Check for wires loose, also, sometimes a wire to the switch will accidentally ground out with the pickguard down, but not with it loose. If that's the case rerout some wires so they dont ground out anywhere.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Spray some cleaner in the pots.

5. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

guitars don't have inputs. Get an Electrosocket OUTPUT jack and put an end to your problem.

6. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

They don't make Electrosocket OUTPUT jacks for Stratocasters. (or if I'm wrong about that, please post a link).

AND, before someone says it, I realize that this question has been posted in the "Tele Technical" forum but only because there is no "Strat Technical" forum here and the problem being asked about could apply to either a Tele or a Strat.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Not a Tele with an electrosocket :D

8. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

You have a wire coming lose in the jack.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.