1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

volume issues

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by ce24, Sep 7, 2011.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

The other guitarist and I have had this ongoing issue. Its not a problem in that we are not arguing over it.....here is what is happening.....at practice and gigs we stand next to each other and I hear his amp better than mine and vise versa. Our amps are right behind us...at gigs we use tilt back stands but not at practice and we have the same problem either way.....its not that we're blasting as we dont do that but its odd that I hear his amp better than my own and he hears mine in the same way.....any thoughts other than to put us at opposite ends of the lineup on stage?

thanks
    ce24

2. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Try tilting them back monitor style towards yourselves.

In my experience if I don't hear myself playing on a loud stage its because I'm playing the song correctly. It usually that one wrong note or chord that sticks out from the mix.

3. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

That's weird. I'm gathering that you're closer to yours and you hear his - he's closer to his and hears yours. Both of you have your amps pointed at yourselves, not the other guy.

Um.... trade amps and guitars to compensate for your individual hearing notches being more sensitive to the sound of the other guy's setup?

Or, for real world suggestions - put a baffle between your amps that extends a foot or two forward? Or just stand further apart? Or use in-ear monitors?

4. IronFeliks

IronFeliks TDPRI Member

Trade amps, or stand in front of his amp... Honestly it sounds like a psychology problem to me, you've become aware of his amp, now it interferes with your focus on your own sound. So anything that helps isolate your sound from his might help. Or you both might try some breathing exercises right before you go on, to help you relax and improve your concentration.

James

5. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

spread out.
    My bass player used to complain about my amp volume then I told him not to stand behind my amp...(open back). He moved to a different set up position and that settled that.

6. diffeecult

diffeecult Tele-Afflicted

+1 to spreading out. Put the drummer and bass player between you.

7. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

Clearly you need to turn up your volume so you can hear yourself better! Then your band mate should do the same. Eventually you'll both be loud enough so that you won't hear the other one so much...

...just kidding! :lol::lol:

8. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

Get farther away from your amp.....and the other guy. ;)

9. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

It is likely due to a difference in hearing frequency response. We don't all hear the same.

Bass tends to be non-directional, so the position of the bass cabinet and you and the
    bass player don't matter too much. But higher frequencies can form a "beam" and be
    directional. But that would put you in the beam if you were in front of the amp, not
    the bass player. So again, maybe just a diiference in hearing.

10. Open G Tele

Open G Tele Tele-Meister

Are you both playing solid-body electrics with single coils?
    If so, you're both trying to occupy the same "real estate" frequency-wise.
    If you can stand it, try switching to a hollowbody or something with humbuckers.

11. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

A couple of you are trying to make some sort of scientific evaluation of the problem. A couple of you hit it on the head. Why in the hell would you want to be next to another guitar player in the first place? Seperate yourselves. Problem 1----you have 2 guitar players. Problem 2----you're standing next to each other with your amps next to each other.

Now, just think about this for a minute and you don't have to be a studio genius to know this. On your favorite 2-guitar recordings are thy both panned right? Left? NO! They are panned right AND left. Get one of you on each side of the drummer. This brings up problem 3. Now you're both next to the bass player. We'll save that for another thread.

12. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

Well, disregard that. I was sure you said you and the bass player.

13. G60syncro

G60syncro Tele-Meister

Might be to close to your own amp... Like the poster above said, guitar sound is very directional and it might just be blasting straight through you below your knees. Meanwhile the other amp's sound has a chance to "fan out" so to speak and get to your ears. Like stated above, try tilting the amps back or raising them on stands, separate them and stand back a little.

14. LightninMike

LightninMike Tele-Holic

Standing next to each other is great if you are doing a signature lead that has multiple guitars playing the same line ( Skynyrd, Scorpions, etc)
    otherwise, get away from each other.... you can drop your volumes, and get clearer.... it's also easier for people in the audience to listen to ..... sonic fatigue sets in very easy when the ear has to work hard....

15. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I agree with separating - one guitar on each side of the drummer.

Is there a particular reason why this wouldn't work for you?

Cheers,
    Doug

16. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Aim 'em at your head.:lol:

17. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

We finally split the stage...Im the main singer so I was always in the middle but by putting our lady singer in the middle and us other 2 guitarists opposite things have been much better sonically but having me the main singer not central to the stage is a bit wierd but I think we can deal with that in other ways.....

Thanks for the replies:D

18. LightninMike

LightninMike Tele-Holic

If the lady singer dresses right, you could set your head on fire and it wouldn't matter....
    the center of the visual stage and the center of the sound-field are very different.... keep a good flow and leave it at that

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.