1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Volume Fluctuation on PC. What's Up With That?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hockey Rocker, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

For months this here Dell PC with five Altec Lansing Speakers has been acting funny. It happens from all PC sources, web, disc, Itunes, whatever. I can hear the little static noises now. Rats.

The main problem, aside from the annoying intermittent static rumbling, is that the volume fluctuates wildly. I can be listening to a tune at a moderate volume and, all of the sudden, whamo!… the volume jumps up really loud for a second or two and then in calms back down. Crazy.

I’ve tried the basic stuff. Checked the wiring, cleaned the dust from the back of the PC, but I don’t know what’s next.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. blacklinefish

blacklinefish Tele-Afflicted

I assume your 5-speaker system is active (plugs in). It could be just that. They have a little amplifier circuit in it that distributes the sound through crossovers and drives the subwoofer. Take a simple set of speakers, or earphones, and try it with that instead. It could be the speaker setup, and not the PC's fault.

--gh

3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Try this see if it helps.

Go to control panel select the speaker icon that says sounds and audio devices then go down to the bottom and select the advanced tab and set that to your speaker type which is probably 5.1.

See if that helps. If your windows is set for just stereo and your getting some 5.1 decoded stuff it can cause vol levels changing.

4. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Your computer is hosed - please hand in to local police. Don't use vista, go back to xp. Use decent sound card but only use stereo studio monitors. IMO 5.1 from pc sounds [deleted].

I have an 'old' pc w. xp using top of the range sound card suppossed to do 5.1 (or 7.1) though 'their' speaker system, it soundeth rubbish: went back to yamaha monitors in stereo - nice. [or dell laptop w. tone-port wassname to denon amp to 2xcelestion g12 thingies (loud)]

5. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

Thanks guys, that helped. The headphones work fine so I yanked the active system in favor of two speakers. That did it. No more noisey static or volume jumps.

I only run XP and this is the only computer in my family/office that had the 5.1 surround. I guess the thing is four or five years old and it's been on 24/7 since I got it. The two speakers sound fine. Thanks for the help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.