1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Volume drop on Blues Junior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Stefan, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Stefan

Stefan Tele-Afflicted

Tonight I went to band rehearsal with my new Vintera Telecaster (I normally play a Gretsch 6120-55VS).
    We did about ten songs and then tried the push button on the volume knob to see what it sounded like on one song. Suddenly my amp - Blues Junior (tweed) went silent so we stopped playing. The volume had dropped dramatically. It sounded like I had turned it down to 1. I freaked out and turned it off and waited a few seconds before I turned it on again. Then it sounded just fine and normal again.

What could have caused this? I am a bit worried since we have a gig on saturday and I don't want this to happen again.

2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

You might have a bad solder joint. It's a common problem with PC boards that have been "wave soldered" due to the temp. of the solder being not hot enough, or being processed too quickly. In electronics it's know as a "thermal Problem"

Try re-flowing the solder joints on the PC board before you do anything else. If that doesn't fix your problem then move on to other options.

I had on old Line 6 amp that I bought used that had issues. Once I re-flowed the solder joints (I didn't re-flow any of the IC's) the issues disappeared.

3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

yeah... bring a back up.

4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Or just don't push the button again. :lol::lol:

Seriously though, sounds like it could be what teleplayer described above. Have you tried engaging Fat mode with the foot switch? If it engages properly with the foot switch but not the switch on the amp itself, it's likely isolated to a solder joint for the amp switch. If it does the same regardless of which is engaged, it's further down the chain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.