1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Volume control on my strat

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by 72 reissue, Oct 20, 2020.

1. 72 reissue

72 reissue TDPRI Member

When I try to turn up volume on the guitar it does turn up. It turn down and off but if I set the guitar on about 3 or 4 my amp on 4 and the compressor at about half, then while playing I turn the guitar up for lead ride it doesn’t get any louder. Is this cheap pots or something I’m setting wrong. Thank you.

2. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Take the compressor out of the equation and see if it acts as you would expect. Sounds like the comp is squashing the vol increase.

EsquireBoy and AAT65 like this.
  3. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Disclaimer! This is a simplistic, non professional explanation. Compression brings up the volume of the quiet notes while bringing down the volume of the loud notes. If "overused" it will limit the overall volume and fight your dynamics by bringing up volume as you turn down and limiting overall volume as you turn up. Sounds like what you're experiencing. My advice is to use very light compression if leaving it on all the time, or use for effect if turning on and off. Some compressors have a "limiter" control. Of course that means different things on different devices, and some actually have a blend or clean control to add back your original (uncompressed) signal. They're far too complicated for my tiny brain, so I only use one, as an effect, while playing electric 12 string to even out the volume of all the ringing strings, and sometimes while using the 2 and 4 positions on my strat for quacky funky rhythms. Have fun turning the knobs, playing and listening.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.