1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

volowv's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by volowv, Mar 14, 2012.

1. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

I know, I know... I'm a peaceful man... every now and then the vernacular of my insensitive youth slips out... haha.

Thanks for posting this. I gotta wait to hear it later, but I'm looking forward to it.
    How do you like that TM60?

2. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Hey volowv - this was amazingly cool to see how you did this, I was going to attempt this about a month ago, but had some questions:
    - Did you use whole shells, or did you separate the iridescent inside from the outside of the shell?
    - What brand of epoxy would you use, if you were to use epoxy? I've been using some really clear 5 minute epoxy (glue), but I'm not sure if it all that hard. When I hear epoxy resin I'm thinking maybe there's some stuff that people use for surfboards that might work better than what I have on hand.

I get a lot out of this, and last years' threads - thanks!

3. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Wow - who needs more than 6 strings, 5 even? Great sounds and playing!

Back in 1982 I was playing in the rhythm section of a musical - practicing in this hall with a bunch of big practice rooms. I met up with a guy that was selling a speaker cab in one of the small rooms where his band was playing. I go to this room and his band was in the middle of a set so I just listened in. He was playing an electric mandolin - sort of a tiny strat with 4 strings: The band was a power trio and all this guy had was an old Sunn amp, an Ibanez analog delay pedal and this speaker cab and it was amazing. They were playing a bunch of stuff that sounded a lot like Yes' "Drama" album - this huge/complex sound all from just 4 strings and some busy fingers...

4. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Yes. That sounds great!
    I especially like the ambient stuff at the end.
    Very cool instrument!

5. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

mojotron, i figured out later that the polyester i used about a year old. i used the very last bit in the bottle for those inlays and the pickup cover. i guess it gets a little yellow and slightly cloudy when it ages. i bought a new bottle about a month into the contest and it was much clearer.

on the epoxy... i don't know what to tell you. i actually bought a box of easycast epoxy and returned it after i read the directions which said that you could polish it with "plastic polishing agents". i didn't want to figure out what that meant, because it probably means that you have to buy something else. poly resin polishes out with just sandpaper and a buffer. easycast epoxy is the kind of stuff that people use to make jewerly and do-dads. if you have something that is clear and not yellow like the hardware store types, just try it... that's all i can suggest. epoxy wont stick to #5 plastic either btw... if you are going to go the mold route. with epoxy you could just stick it right in the fretboard though... which must be what you are aiming for.

i'm not really sure about the hardness of epoxy either. within a few days poly-resin dries rock hard.

on the shells, i used just fragments that were solid mother of pearl. its possible when you crushed them to sometimes separate the outside from the inside but its tedious work. i've tried sanding the outside with the ross... but it stinks and is not much fun at all. with the kind of shell i'm using, blue mussels, the outside actually looks really nice... its iridescent blue to lilac purple. if i had known this guitar was going to end up blue i would have just crushed the whole shell, inside and outside. i also have a pile of just blue sections.

on the four string thing... limitations usually inspire creativity and trying a new instrument always makes me come up with different stuff. if i pick up a 6 string i play the same things.

chris/anyone, i'm not really a guitar player, i guess i'm more of a musician that plays guitar sometimes so i'm not really particular about 'tone' so much. i played guitar through a bass amp for years, so the tech 21 was a big improvement. it doesn't sound like a fender or a marshall but it sounds good enough for what it is. it's terribly practical, it was cheap and light(19lbs, i think), and no tubes to replace, etc. i haven't tried everything but i think its probably the best solid-state amp in mass circulation. and i sort of refuse to go into digital-land... ala line 6. i do have a couple of pods but i don't use them much. and my comment on 'killer' was more about the sad state of my chops, not your word selection.

6. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

That's exactly what I've been thinking - I love tube amps, but I'm tired of the weight and upkeep... and modelers just seem too...homogenized...
    Yeah, I'd much rather listen to music than chops and tones.

7. danharr

danharr Tele-Meister

I've really enjoyed and learned a lot from your builds! I'm finishing my first build, hope to post it soon. I've got an old Martin tenor, and an older National Steel tenor guitar. I know just what you mean about the changes in no. of strings/tunings breaking our self-imposed barriers.

My next build will be an electric tenor- I gotta try making my own bridge and pickup too! Thanks, inspiring work- nice music too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.