1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

volowv's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by volowv, Mar 14, 2012.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I've not done any finishing, so I don't have any advice on the problem area, but the neck looks great!

2. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

5 minutes with a utility blade...
    [​IMG]
    10 minutes... you can see some blue in the dust.
    [​IMG]
    a little later, it looks good at 640x480. the surface was level, but when i wet it down i could see traces of the pattern still in the lacquer... down inside it. very strange. and a little off color patch popped up.
    [​IMG]
    so i kept going into the layers until the pattern finally disappeared... unfortunately i hit some black on the corner. relic finish?
    [​IMG]

3. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Ah, you shouldn't have messed with stone'enge... You've ticked off the little people of lacquer.
    I'd say embrace the relic.
    I think it looks killer!

4. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

finish is still finishing.

here are some photos of the bridge. started with a piece of aluminum u-channel to wrap the edge of 1/2" plywood.
    [​IMG]
    the legs have been ground down to about 5/16".
    [​IMG]
    this is a scrap brass shim from some kind of machine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting, I like it :)

6. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

thanks dave. sorry i've been dragged away from this project. hopefully, this week i can wrap this up. these pictures of the bridge actually happened weeks ago. that seems like a long, long time.

this is a piece of 1/8" aluminum L. i cut off one leg.
    [​IMG]
    once i flattened it out i taped it to the bridge(i should have use electrical tape), and drilled through the height adjustment holes to mark the baseplate.
    [​IMG]
    then i enlarged these holes with an oversized drill bit.
    [​IMG]
    drill some attachment screw holes.
    [​IMG]
    almost there, i just need to put some springs under the height screws.
    [​IMG]

7. Shardik

Shardik Tele-Meister

I love the genious of DIY hardware. Thanks.

8. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Excellent bridge!! I thought long and hard about how to do that kind of intonation without going to posts and that's a great design.

9. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

thanks guys, but the design is total rip-off of the classic rickenbacker bridge.:lol: it is very nice in it's own brutally simple way. the only thing i think i've added here is that i used metal from home depot. i really need to get some brass U-channel, but this is what i had laying around... so.

10. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

putting something on the headstock... low-budget style.

cut a pattern in sheet of plastic transparency paper with a razor.
    [​IMG]
    tape and spray.
    [​IMG]
    overspray blah, blah... it adds to the charm.

11. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Very cool vibe!

12. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

tailpiece=aluminum L-angle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jeez... trying to wrap this turkey up, but it refuses to go easily.

13. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

almost done

on friday night i realized that one of the bushings on the tuners was too short to go through the headstock. i was not happy. my local guitar shop let me rumage through their parts drawers on saturday morning, and i found the right part.

its hard to see in the photos but there is a second black layer of pickguard under the plexi. the upper pickguard is held up by spacers cut from 36 cents of vinyl tubing. i dug some vintage bevel top witch hat knobs out of the bin. the cap is orange and labeled .050uF... i pulled it off a circuit board. alpha 250k pots.

i decided to string it with the bottom four strings from a pack of 10s (.017, .026, .036, .046). this gave me a pretty good usable range with the scale. the .046 will go down to E without getting to floppy. it seems pretty comfortable tuned ADGB... the middle four strings of a guitar, and in that tuning its easy enough to play the familar guitar chord forms. for the video i tuned it to GDGB.

it was tough to photograph.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

completed

it's been fun. good luck to everyone in the voting... and more luck to anyone still working on their builds! i can't wait to see the compilation list because i know i missed a ton of amazing builds this year.

[​IMG]

just have to send my 'completed' email.

15. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Really cool build. Love the design of the split level scratch plates - I can see a bit Ampeg scroll bass influence in the black bits anyway. Sounds really cool too - and nice playing. Cheers

16. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

That is a real beauty. The multi level guard is inspired thinking, and really adds to the build.

It sounds fantastic too!

I'm crazy about the aluminium hardware. I love seeing it used like this, it's such a versatile material to work with.

17. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Such style and ingenuity!
    Thanks for doing such a thorough tutorial on the pup building and shell inlays.
    This thread is a valuable reference.

18. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

thanks guys. as i said earlier, my original intention was to make something that was only marginally better than a cigar box guitar. i obviously got off course.

the pickguard came about because the piece of black i had dedicated to this project was too small to make a single pickguard... it was waste really. the multi-layer happened because with this neck joint offset and bridge there is alot of space to fill under the strings. you never see these on fenders because the neck joint doesn't allow it.

on the sound... the audio wasn't great out of the camera, but it got worse when i converted it for upload. after a minute of listening to it i sort of got use to it... it's consistently distorted at least. of the actual instrument... the heavy gauge strings on a short scale at relatively high tension produces a pretty intersting tone. i should upload some better recordings of just audio.

19. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Please do make some killer audio clips.
    I want to hear more of this.

20. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

killer?:lol: well... i threw this together last night in an hour and half. there are four different sections with two tracks. the melody track is usually a 2nd or 3rd take so excuse the notes that might not follow the exact rules of western harmony.

the tunings run:
    ADGB----middle 4 on a guitar
    GDGB----drop
    EbBbGbDb---5ths from the Eb under standard E
    F#BF#B-----dont know, i just kept turning the knobs until something happened and then figured out what the notes were after.

the signal path is the guitar->tech 21 60watt->sm57->m-audio 410 interface->reaper with no plug-ins or effects. the reverb is from the amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.