1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

volowv's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by volowv, Mar 14, 2012.

1. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

this paint is a little darker than LPB, i don't know why this isn't a more common guitar color. the neck is going to stay black, if only because i've already spent $20 on paint, and i have to clear coat it.

i can't imagine what that pickguard might look like either... a cobra?:lol: i do love vintage race cars, but i think i'm going to steer clear of the obvious racing tie-ins. i think i already have a crazy pickguard design i'm happy with. in single ply black, i don't think i can get away with a white PG with black binding and a black pickup. i should have planned this out a little better. i didn't really have a plan at all, i just wanted to try a bunch of new stuff i have been thinking about.

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I really like vintage racing stuff, and am planning to do one of my next in orange with blue racing stripes. Like the Gulf oil color scheme.

3. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Right on,the GT-40 Caster!

4. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

i used to know a guy that painted the porsche gulf oil 917's in the early 1970s. he had breathed too many lacquer fumes.:eek: amazing porsche machanic though.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

a better picture of the color. minus the binding tape.
    [​IMG]

6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Sweet! ;)

7. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

What a GREAT color choice!!!

8. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I've been using spoons all this time!
    [​IMG]

+1 on the color - Nice!

9. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

That color is awesome, this guitar is going to rule.

10. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

thanks guys. i had to take a few days away from this... i'm a little discouraged. i think there is too much paint on the guitar, it seem really tall at the line between the binding and the paint. it got flakey at that edge and some of it chipped when i removed the binding tape. this only added to the general unpleasantness of scraping binding. i'm sort of terrified of sanding into the color coat so i've been spraying clear to try and melt it down a little and sanding to level it. it's so much fun i decided the best course of action was to start on another project to keep my momentum going.:lol: i guess i had set a personal goal of being done with this guitar in a month... which seems a little unrealistic at this point.

11. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Since I've never applied a finish like that before (all i've done is spray with deft) I can't really offer any advice, but I'm sure someone here can offer some helpful tips. Good luck getting it sorted. I really want to see it done.

12. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

volowv, hope you don't give up on the challenge deadline.
    Couldn't you easily finish this in a month? Your plan of
    spraying clear and sanding sounds right. Are you sure the
    problem with the binding is as bad as its seems?

Once you get past this hurdle you'll be heading to the
    finish line. :lol:

13. crazydave911

Yeh, don't give up, you know you want that tenor to sing :). The finish on mine wasn't anything to write home about last year but I went ahead and finished and was glad I did. Go for it! :)

14. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

sorry guys, i've just been really distracted with this other build. i'm sure everyone knows how it is. i'm going to finish this one before the deadline... i just ran into a little problem.

good news: neck looks cool
    [​IMG]
    bad news:
    [​IMG]
    any advice on this? i sprayed the blue over the clear coat and now it's doing this when i spray over it with clear. i've tried to level it out but it comes right back when i clearcoat it. i guess i'm going to have to really get down into the layers because something has gone very wrong.

i swear ever time i look at it.:lol:

15. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Incompatible base/clear?

16. Mojotron

Oh ...... been there - sorry all I have to offer is empathy and praise for the clear on the neck that looks great.

17. crazydave911

Ditto

18. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

but wouldn't the entire guitar look like this?

mojotron, i do remember your problem last year. it was the first thing that popped into my head.

19. Mojotron

Ya - my problem last year was going too heavy on the later coats when it cracked - then I had a problem with gassing out later and exposing the guitar to sunlight made it much worse: Waiting longer and letting the guitar gass-out in a warmer/dryer environment would have helped me.

Someday I will learn how to do a good finish job. I ended up ignoring the finish problems and focused on everything else. That guitar became one of my favorites to play - I'll go back and refinish it someday.

20. hockeygoon

hockeygoon Tele-Holic

Wow I love that color, bummer about the wrinkling. Had that happen with a Tele I made a couple years ago (using Krylon color and Krylon clear) and ended up stripping it and starting over.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.