1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Voice-O-Graph January 20, 1942

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JL_LI, Apr 16, 2021.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Hi folks. I need a little help with something not at all guitar related. I had to empty desk drawers today to move furniture into a POD in advance of a major renovation. My wife found a Voice-O-Graph made by her mother in 1942. It’s about the size of a 45 RPM record bit with a standard spindle hole. It may be 78 RPM or something else. The medium appears to be laminated on a metal disk. We have no way to play it.

I am hoping that there is someone at TDPRI who may be able to play it and hopefully digitize it to mp3 or some other accessible format. My wife’s mom has been gone for 14 years. She’d love to be able to hear her voice again.

Please reply to the thread if you know anything about Voice-O-Gram or if you know where it might be possible to recover what’s on the disk. PM if you have something you think may work. Thanks everyone. My wife will certainly appreciate any and all help with this.
    image.jpg

2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Arrrrgh! My brother made one of those in the 50's. I found it when we were cleaning out my Mom's place. I'm pretty sure it was made at Coney Island. I asked my brother if he wanted it and he said no. I'm pretty sure it got tossed and I have thought about that ever since. I hope you find some way to copy/download that. I recorded my Mom when she was 96 years old and even my siblings were saying what are you doing that for? They know now as we listen to the recordings with happiness in our hearts. Best of luck. 1942 should be a 78rpm or maybe even a 33 1/3.

emisilly, SRHmusic and JL_LI like this.
  3. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Jack White has one.

emisilly and That Cal Webway like this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Thank you. How can I find Jack White?

5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Third Man Records

Nashville

emisilly and JL_LI like this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

We recorded one when we went to Coney Island in 65 I can hear me and my brother. Scratchy 45. Kind of like yours

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    emisilly and JL_LI like this.
  7. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

That should play on anything that can play 78s. Note that you need a special stylus to play them back well because the grooves are different than later formats.

In your part of New York, it shouldn't be difficult to find a media conversion house that has the equipment to transfer it to some other medium.

JL_LI and emisilly like this.
  8. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

My daddy had a machine that could cut 78 rpm records. By the time we kids came along, it was in need of repair--wouldn't work at all--and there was no one to fix it and not place to get it fixed.

Mama was disappointed that they were not able to record us kids' voices. There were records of my cousins' voices and my uncles' voices on it. And they could be played back on 78.

Don't know where the records got off to. It's been decades since I heard any of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.